The KEF LS50 and tubes WOW WOW WOW!

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
Wouldn't this apply regardless of whether a sub was in the system or not?? Remember the sub has its own power amp...so in effect the amp for the mains is really only driving the mains.

Frantz suggested a REL sub which goes between the power amp and the main speaker. It has a high-pass filtered output for the main speaker, and the sub has its own power amp.

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
Gary-If I'm looking at the graph correctly, the impedance doesn't drop to below 4 ohms until the frequency is less than 20Hz. At around 55Hz, the impedance dips to over 5 ohms and then peaks again at around 42Hz to almost 12 ohms before the impedance starts nosediving. Sometimes when I look at the LS50s and then look at the KSA-250, I can't believe I'm driving the LS50s with that much amp. The LS50s make the KSA-250 sound like it is the most neutral amp on the planet-a real sonic chameleon that has no sound of its own. Or is it the other way around?

Where the impedance starts to rise is where the loudspeaker starts to bottom out in its frequency response. Beyond the peak, the speaker produces no output for the input power. Hence, the need to filter out the lower frequencies to help the amplifier - not that your KSA-250 will need it.

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Where the impedance starts to rise is where the loudspeaker starts to bottom out in its frequency response. Beyond the peak, the speaker produces no output for the input power. Hence, the need to filter out the lower frequencies to help the amplifier - not that your KSA-250 will need it.

It could be a serious issue when I finish rebuilding my pair of Dynaco MKIII amps. :p

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Davey

This may require a thread of its own. The subject is very interesting but understand that int he case of a subwoofer using the speakers output, that is the signal is taken from the amp output and the subwoofers only reads the signal from the amp, the input impedance of the sub is very high, high enough not to load the amplifier, IOW the amplifer from its point of view, sees an ope circuit. it is not really driving it. while 4 Ohms is an issue for an amp, 10,000 is seen a s an open circuit... Not a problem for most amp: A high impedance load in parallel remains for all practical purpose a non-load. Same as when you put a VOM across the speaker terminal, the behavior of any sane amp shouldn't change at all.

meanwhile the amp is still feeding current and voltage to the speaker even if the response drops to nothing. The elements/drivers of the speakers do receive this power but can;t do much with it.. It heats up the voice coil or other elements and that has negative effects on the behavior of the particular driver or drivers.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Frantz and micro, could you tell me another subwoofer company that utilizes the same connection protocol as REL. Speakon cable to amp speaker connections.....

I will give two: Marting Logan Descent i - I am facing it. Sonus Faber Gravis - it is upstairs. BTW, the speakon is just a professional connector for speakers.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing