Best material for a bass trap

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Can you advise me on what of those materials will be the best for a large panel bass trap - MDF or drywall? The mass surface will be the same in both ~8kg/square meter (~ 1.6 lb/ sq feet if my maths are correct :)). The panel will be disguised as a wall, so both solutions are possible.

If you have a preference for any of them please educate me on why.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Are you referring to enclosures for a velocity trap or as membranes for pressure traps?

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Are you referring to enclosures for a velocity trap or as membranes for pressure traps?

Membrane as pressure traps - they will be used close to the walls. I had great success in my own room using some limp membranes, but unhappily they are flammable, have a characteristic smell and can not be used unprotected.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
My gut feel would be that MDF may be too stiff. I'd do ply or gypsum.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
My gut feel would be that MDF may be too stiff. I'd do ply or gypsum.

Thanks Jack. However he can not easily get ply with the same mass per area as the MDF or drywall - so it must be drywall.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Okidoki :)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing