Kuzma Stabi M

Brian Walsh

Jul 7, 2011
ttsetup.com
He may have both or even more.
I also heard he has a SYD series 10.
Isn't his son working in the company?

Here Medvedev is playing his Stabi Ref:

Image from this article: http://www.itogi.ru/paper2007.nsf/Article/...15_01_4813.html

It may even be a uk original of dsotm. I can't see exactly.

It sure looks like it. Is that some sort of Russian missile in the corner? :D

Calle_jr

May 24, 2015
Sweden
www.euphonia-audioforum.se
What's the counter for?
I got the click counter to start clicking the number of albums I play. Well, to see when it's time to replace cartridge.
It lasted for three albums, and it's still on three even today.
I am simply not the book keeping type of guy :D

Calle_jr

May 24, 2015
Sweden
www.euphonia-audioforum.se
Simon Yorke Designs

Simon unfortunately is no longer in business --he closed down in March 015--
According to the European distributor as well, Christian Isenberg, there is no production of SYD products currently.
Recordplayers are still available, but only from stock.
Simons son Spencer went to ride the bikes and Simon himself is enjoying playing records and Spanish sun. Very nice and very sad.....

Here are some images from the last time I met him;

Simon is a very fit guy, but smoking like hell. I think he competed in gymnastics. This is from Münich 2008;

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Wow I had Verity Leonores and Jadis JA 100. Plan was to add subs and a TT. Too impatient to see it through. I auditioned the XL4 with 4 point recently, how does the Stabi M compare to the XL4?

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Re Simon Yorke being out of business, that is a damned shame.
I had the pleasure of speaking to him once, and he was a true Old School artisan.
I don't think there was anything he didn't know about tt/analog engineering.
His tt's always seemed to be the epitome of sleek, minimalist cool, and had a stripped back sound that made various competitors sound like they needed to diet.

I always remain amazed that the market place is able to support so many different tts. We may love our hobby, but it's still just a ripple in the pool.

Last edited:

Brian Walsh

Jul 7, 2011
ttsetup.com
Wow I had Verity Leonores and Jadis JA 100. Plan was to add subs and a TT. Too impatient to see it through. I auditioned the XL4 with 4 point recently, how does the Stabi M compare to the XL4?

Get the XL DC with its DC motor, which is reported to provide a nice performance improvement over the XL4 and costs less as well. That is the 'table I would buy if I had the budget.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Bill is really pushing me twds the Stabi M.
What a bully, he knows I'm mortally wounded after falling on my 211 tube, but hey I think it's good advice.
I too would like to know how the M, XL dc and XL4 rate against each other.
I have my cart of choice, so to get an M w/4Pt for less than £20k represents amazing value in the high end, w.GP Monaco 2.0/Triplanar 12", SME 30/12, Kodo The Beat/Schroeder LT etc, all decidedly pricier, up to 2x more, w/only the Thales TTT/Simplicity Tangential in the same ball park.
So, E. European Stabi, take no prisoners build, sound as the master tape, or Swiss jewel-like precision Thales, maybe sound presentation radically different/just as enjoyable?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
XL4 with 4 point going used for just over 10k GBP

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
You know you want to Marc :)

Not sure whether you follow this mad man http://www.high-endaudio.com/RC-Tables.html

I love the big Kuzma tables - glorious build quality and fabulous natural sound. I will own either a Stabi M or XL DC in the next couple of years for certain.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Arthur Salvatore? Doesn't he have a few around here, ahem, skeptical of him?
Stabi M v XL dc/XL4?
SQ issues aside, i just vote for the M
Classic design - a single chassis, none of this separate pods business, just too many ways not to get things optimal.
I'm not a fan of multiple motors, whether the XL4, TW AC3 etc
No need personally for more than one arm.

Bill informs me there is a 14" 4Point arm - 14"!!! Jeepers, what an amzing aesthetic/mechanical match that would be on the M.

Grrr, "Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in!" re thinking about a new analog final destination. How's my bank account looking?

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Stabi M v XL dc/XL4?
Classic design - a single chassis, none of this separate pods business, just too many ways not to get things optimal.

Bill informs me there is a 14" 4Point arm - 14"!!! Jeepers, what an amzing aesthetic/mechanical match that would be on the M.

Grrr, "Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in!" re thinking about a new analog final destination. How's my bank account looking?

Designed to fit on a stabi M and you can close the lid when not playing.

http://www.kuzma.si/4point-14-inch.html

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
The 14 inch was the one I heard on the XL DC with goldfinger cart and octave NOS phono, gryphon antileon, zensati cable, dynaudio temptation.

Brian Walsh

Jul 7, 2011
ttsetup.com

Salvatore introduced himself to me in the hallway quite a few years ago at the St. Tropez in Las Vegas (THE Show). What a strange dude, although as is usually the case he was more personable face to face.

Stabi M v XL dc/XL4?

The 14" will fit on an M but you can't close the dust cover. The XL DC and the 14" 4Point were introduced at the Munich show this past year.

Get a CAR-50 cartridge with whichever model you get and be done for a good long time. Incredible match on the 4Point and stellar performance. Franc really knocked this one out of the park.

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Salvatore introduced himself to me in the hallway quite a few years ago at the St. Tropez in Las Vegas (THE Show). What a strange dude, although as is usually the case he was more personable face to face.

The 14" will fit on an M but you can't close the dust cover. The XL DC and the 14" 4Point were introduced at the Munich show this past year.

Get a CAR-50 cartridge with whichever model you get and be done for a good long time. Incredible match on the 4Point and stellar performance. Franc really knocked this one out of the park.

Hi Brian,

Are you sure that is correct about the 14" - it looks like you can close the lid on an M just you can't play it with lid closed - see wording on Kuzma site:

"It is possibble 4Point 14 inch this tonearm on Stabi M and still close the lid when not playing records- see details below:"

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Brian, get yr comments about a whole Kuzma tt/arm/cart chain, but I'm devoted to my Soundsmith Straingauge w/batt psu.
But I am truly curious about the Stabi M w/possibility of 14" 4Point.
For me, if I'm going to move back from my current high torque direct rim drive tt/air bearing linear tracking arm, the M fits the bill for high torque belt drive, and the arm is the nearest a pivoted arm will get to fully minimising tangential errors.

Brian Walsh

Jul 7, 2011
ttsetup.com
Brian, get yr comments about a whole Kuzma tt/arm/cart chain, but I'm devoted to my Soundsmith Straingauge w/batt psu.
But I am truly curious about the Stabi M w/possibility of 14" 4Point.
For me, if I'm going to move back from my current high torque direct rim drive tt/air bearing linear tracking arm, the M fits the bill for high torque belt drive, and the arm is the nearest a pivoted arm will get to fully minimising tangential errors.

The Soundsmith Straingauge cartridge works on the 4Point - one of my customers has that combo.

As for high torque, the DC motor gets the platter up to speed from stop within one rotation.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Brian, in the UK, the price point of the Stabi M/14" 4 Point is particularly attractive, about 2/3 of an SME 30/12A, and prob 50-60% of likely GP Monaco 2.0 or Kodo The Beat/Schroeder LT. These would be good comparisons.
At this point in my analog, I'm 100% not going back to low torque/high mass tt, and tangential error pivoted arm. It's very good to see there is a high torque belt drive/min tangential error pivoted arm combination that would fit my technical requirements.

kodomo

Apr 26, 2017
I am now planning to buy the Kuzma Stabi M, Kuzma 4 point and Kuzma Car 40 cartridge or a Kiseki Purple Heart N.S. I have the Transrotor Phono 8 sym reference phono preamp, which is surprisingly good. I had more than a few preamps at my place and I really liked this pre. However I am open to recommendations.

How are the experiences of the owners of the combination of Stabi M, 4 point and Kuzma carts after some time? Any pointers are welcome :)

My system is 109db efficient horn based system driven by set amp. I bypass the preamp section of my LM 219ia set to drive the horns and use AVM 3.2 monoblock ss to drive the woofers that work below 100hz.
IMG_9883.JPG

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Which horn is this? Is it DIY? Since you are from the UK, made by Steve?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing