Kuzma Stabi M

kodomo

Apr 26, 2017
Sorry for the offtopic reply, but here it is;

No, this is not by Steve and I am not in UK :) The horns are selected, matched and reworked by me and built by autotech of Poland. The tweeters are Fostex t500amkII. The beryllium compression drivers are by Radian. The big midbass horn has modified Supravox 285 with reactance annuling cnc built backchamber. The 4 woofers are TAD 1601b. The crossover design and manufacture is by hornfabrik of Germany (they also work for very well known German horn speaker brands). The crossovers employ impedance correction and first order filters (except for the woofers, which are 2nd order). They are very transparent crossovers using nos parts like vacuum caps etc. The system is dialled quite good and have +-3 db variation from about 18hz to over 20k. It took me more than 2 and a half years to realise this project, trying different horns, compression drivers, layouts and measuring and listening for thousands of times :) I am very happy with the overall result, as I was not satisfied with any horn based commercial systems I had the chance to hear, whether at homes or at fairs and demo rooms of dealers.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Sorry for the offtopic reply, but here it is;

No, this is not by Steve and I am not in UK :) The horns are selected, matched and reworked by me and built by autotech of Poland. The tweeters are Fostex t500amkII. The beryllium compression drivers are by Radian. The big midbass horn has modified Supravox 285 with reactance annuling cnc built backchamber. The 4 woofers are TAD 1601b. The crossover design and manufacture is by hornfabrik of Germany (they also work for very well known German horn speaker brands). The crossovers employ impedance correction and first order filters (except for the woofers, which are 2nd order). They are very transparent crossovers using nos parts like vacuum caps etc. The system is dialled quite good and have +-3 db variation from about 18hz to over 20k. It took me more than 2 and a half years to realise this project, trying different horns, compression drivers, layouts and measuring and listening for thousands of times :) I am very happy with the overall result, as I was not satisfied with any horn based commercial systems I had the chance to hear, whether at homes or at fairs and demo rooms of dealers.

Sorry not sure why I thought you were in the UK. Yes Lukasz makes some fine horns on universum and his horns are also used by a couple of bespoke designers I know. Can you please let me know what city you are in, I would one day like to listen to them

kodomo

Apr 26, 2017
kuzma at home

hornkuzma.jpg

Here it is, at home :)

Now, next step is finding a Zanden Phono 120, a VDH Grail SB and auditioning them against my Transrotor Phono mc 8 symmetrical.

Marcus

Member Sponsor
Oct 5, 2012
Now, next step is finding a Zanden Phono 120...
I know Zanden 120 very well. Great phono stage! I would put it in a giant killer category. It has 90% of qualities of three times costlier 1200 Mk3 which is the best phono stage I have ever heard, with one exception. The majestic JINPU, Yamada's very limited and only for Audio Exotics made flagship is probably better.

Last edited:

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
View attachment 34771

Here it is, at home :)

Now, next step is finding a Zanden Phono 120, a VDH Grail SB and auditioning them against my Transrotor Phono mc 8 symmetrical.

Wow...very cool! Big fan of Zanden, but am not a vinyl person. Only their digital, though i have spent time with their preamps, mono 9600 amps in the past. Enjoy the system and do please keep us posted on your search for the Zanden 120.

Separately, would love to read more about how you went about finding/procuring/designing those speakers! What speakers have you used in the past...and what elements of existing speaker design were missing such that it might have driven you to design these?

kodomo

Apr 26, 2017
What kind of platform would be ideal to partner with a Stabi M?

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Can you believe it?
The UK distributor doesn’t run the Stabi M.
Stogi and XL, yes.
But not the Stabi M.
And this is a tt I’m really interested in.
Further proof we’re not well served this side of The Pond.

cuntigh

Dec 20, 2014
FRANCE
Can you believe it?
The UK distributor doesn’t run the Stabi M.
Stogi and XL, yes.
But not the Stabi M.
And this is a tt I’m really interested in.
Further proof we’re not well served this side of The Pond.

Did he said why ? In my opinion you should consider the Swissonor TD124. I listened it at home last week and the Raven AC is for sale now. I know the TW is not your preferred one but you could ask kedar’s opinion about the 124.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Sure Mssr C.
I’m not sure the audio sensibilities of Ked and me converge, but I know he’s a massive fan of the 124.
My rim drive Salvation is an evolution of the Lenco L75 idler, so I know where you’re coming from.
The €5k Hanze Audio Schopper/Swissonor 124 w 200V controller is a great price, as is the €3k Lenco based PTP Solid 12, and the Rek-O-Kut based Torqueo at €7-8k.
My interest also stretches to the fascinating looking Blackstone idler at €20k.
I really have never quite got on w TW, so your moving from the Raven doesn’t help me.
I believe the Stabi M is at another level, but for whatever reason, is not currently being demoed in UK.
Maybe a case of the distributor wanting a clear gap from top model XL to the next one down, Stogi M.
The Stabi M is so good, just why would you spend the extra €7k on the XL?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Hey good to know, where did you hear it?

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Mssr C must have had it on home demo, surely, to be able to compare.
I heard the Stabi M and 12” 4 Pt in a slightly stressed demo in Central London.
I’d like to hear it again w the 14” at Branko’s, but it ain’t happening.
If he thinks a buyer like me will move to the XL, he’s mistaken.

cuntigh

Dec 20, 2014
FRANCE
Hey good to know, where did you hear it?

Spirit is right. Urs Frei came home with his 124 and arm + PPP-PP. (I live 40 km from Geneva) So I could directly compare. I loved what I heard. I think I also want a simpler system so in the future I will look at his electronics and speakers. Maybe I will sell my Computer Audio Design for keeping analog and tuner for some good classical music concerts.
If someone is interested in the CAD system please pm me

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Mssr C, I’m tuned into idlers, so I know what you’re loving.
I’m sure Ked does too.
For me the big argument for me to move back to belt drive is idler noise masking microdynamics, low level detail etc.
The gestalt/visceral experience is there w so many idlers, but is the “inner bloom” and tiny details and inflections?
Part of me is thinking a Kuzma Stabi M, or SME30/12, is going to sweat the small stuff better.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Calle, no way does he bypass his distributor.
And I really need to hear it w the 14” 4 Point.
But if he wants to get me a demo in UK, I’ll be more than happy.
No rush, this is a late 2019 purchase at v earliest.
I can also get Spec Corp Jp GMP-8000 sent direct to me from Spec in Tokyo, so I guess all things are possible.

cuntigh

Dec 20, 2014
FRANCE
Mssr C, I’m tuned into idlers, so I know what you’re loving.
I’m sure Ked does too.
For me the big argument for me to move back to belt drive is idler noise masking microdynamics, low level detail etc.
The gestalt/visceral experience is there w so many idlers, but is the “inner bloom” and tiny details and inflections?
Part of me is thinking a Kuzma Stabi M, or SME30/12, is going to sweat the small stuff better.

TW is more on the harmonics and the Swissonor on the fundamentals as a global undetailed feeling. With the 124 it’s as if musicians were more happy to play together more committed in playing and if you consider music as a whole I prefer the Swissonor player. But this is me and another belt drive can be better or better appreciated or a better synergy with the system.
I don’ want to state one technology is better than another. I heard inly one idler drive and the idler is Itself driven by a belt.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Sure C.
I moved from belt drive to rim drive 5 years ago, and I don’t regret one moment.
But I am aware of where top echelon belt drive gets it right as well.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Spirit is right. Urs Frei came home with his 124 and arm + PPP-PP. (I live 40 km from Geneva) So I could directly compare. I loved what I heard. I think I also want a simpler system so in the future I will look at his electronics and speakers. Maybe I will sell my Computer Audio Design for keeping analog and tuner for some good classical music concerts.
If someone is interested in the CAD system please pm me

Did you hear it with the same cart (anna) or his SPU?

His speakers won't be better than yours. If you want to scale down then fine. Did you also get his power supply, you should

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing