Adjusting VTA when your tonearm doesn't have that function, and my solution.

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
My Rega RB250 does not have a VTA adjustment and the aftermarket Pete Riggle VTAF won't work on my Nottingham/Rega combo (as advised by Pete R himself). There may be other options out there, but I haven't investigated them. I thought I read somewhere that Fremer doesn't think it's critical to have proper(?) or perfect VTA, yet says that the Ortofon 2M Black is sensitive to it. Since this is the cartridge I use I was kinda disappointed that the VTAF wasn't compatible for my setup.

Anyway, a few days ago I looked over at my 2 other TT's (both older Revolvers/Rebel and Red) and it dawned on me that the mats provided on them are substantially thinner that the 1/4" thick foam mat on the Nottingham table. The mats on the Revolvers are "felt" mats and about half the thickness, if I measured properly. So I decided to run my own little experiment and played several 180g/200g pressings with the regular NA mat and then the thinner felt mat. I did this several times over the course of a few days and have noticed some changes.

With the THIN mat I observed that the bass was less pronounced and full-bodied. It did seem to have tightened it up though. The treble was clearer with more nuances of the music becoming evident. I don't know if the change in the bass resulted in the treble being clearer by default, or if the treble was truly improved on its own with the thinner mat. A visual check clearly shows the thinner mat to drop the forward section of the cartridge lower than the back. Have I thereby realized a better rake angle? I don't have the tools to measure that aspect.

The bottom line is that by using the thinner mat with 180g/200g pressings the music seems more "accurate", albeit at a slight loss of warmth. And that's ok as I want accuracy first and foremost.

I suppose I could run this same little experiment for standard pressings, but since the arm/cartridge was set up with the standard NA foam mat, I think it may be best to leave it. Thoughts?

I would love to hear your thoughts on my little experiment and where I've gone wrong or better yet, what I did right.

DonH50

Member Sponsor & WBF Technical Expert
Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO
The usual DIY VTA adjustment procedures, at least I have used and seen, are to (1) adjust the mat thickness (from a very thin piece of felt up to doubled-up heavy mats approaching 1/2" in one case); and, (2) use shims between the cartridge and mount to change the angle. Either seems to work OK, and both have their little quirks and pros/cons.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I think in my case, because I play about 50/50 regular vs heavy pressings, that the mat change is really the only option. I'm liking the change a lot....

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
vta is weird in that of course, it is only valid with one thickness of mat/record combo, but how many people really adjust vta everytime a different thickness of LP is put on.

They probably don't, but this little trick (which isn't new or anything or unknown) allows me to easily adjust for thickness, and I have. It has made a difference. For instance...I played my Japanese pressing of Dire Straits-Love Over Gold and forgot to change the mat. Well...I got about 2 minutes into it and I thought WTF? This is horribly thin and I thought my ears were going to bleed. A change to the thicker mat solved the problem. I have both handy...easy, peasy! :D

hvbias

Jun 22, 2012
New England area
Johnny there is also the added variable that the mats themselves will sound different. Additionally changing VTA will also change VTF which we all know can change the sound. And you are also changing the stylus rake angle when you swap in those different mats. whew :)

I agree with your observation that a 180/200g pressing sitting lower down will sound a bit more transparent than with it sitting higher up. I have light pencil marks on my VTA adjustment base where I have two settings. One for 180/200g pressings and another for vintage vinyl (most of them feel like ~ 120-140g).

puroagave

Member Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
My Rega RB250 does not have a VTA adjustment and the aftermarket Pete Riggle VTAF won't work on my Nottingham/Rega combo (as advised by Pete R himself). There may be other options out there, but I haven't investigated them...

Johnny I never tried Pete's VTA adjuster, and im not sure why it wont work for you but i have used rega arms on mult tables and invariably you'll have to shim your arm - even on a rega 'table/arm combo since rega carts are relatively shorter height-wise compared to just about every other mfr. have you measured the dist from the armboard surface to the top of your platter w/ an LP to get a baseline for adjusting vta? you'll also need to add the height of your cart from the stylus tip to the mounting surface. only then after adjusting VTF can you get a handle if on whether a matt will be additive or subtractive to getting 90-93 degrees SRA.

these are pics of some of the shims I used to get in the ballpark for proper VTA, for the OCD 'philes you're not going to adjust VTA on a rega arm for 200g vs 120g with my method, you're going to have to settle for an average and be done with it. the three-eared shim in the upper right hand corner is rega's accessory option thats 2mm thick and is stackable. I also use washers that are for 6/32 machine screws and stack them. these are thinner at about .75mm which makes fine adjustments more precise. a good set of calipers is a must.

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    121.8 KB · Views: 578
  • 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 440

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing