Incredible Stillpoints

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I just added ultra 5's under my Clearaudio Master Innovation table. Compared to the Finite Element Cerapucs I had under there before, it's no contest. I am close to the improvement the turntable had when I used my Table Stable active isolation table under it....chalk up another stillpoint's victory.
Now that is a statement...ultra 5s rivaling active isolation. Congrats and very good to know indeed. Enjoy!

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
I just added ultra 5's under my Clearaudio Master Innovation table. Compared to the Finite Element Cerapucs I had under there before, it's no contest. I am close to the improvement the turntable had when I used my Table Stable active isolation table under it....chalk up another stillpoint's victory.[/QUO
Same experience and results from Stillpoints in my system. Have you tried the Entreq Tellus boxes and earth cables?The Stillpoints sort the mechanical vibration and the Entreq sort the electrical interference and distortion. They entirely complement each other and have been very effective in my system.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I just added ultra 5's under my Clearaudio Master Innovation table. Compared to the Finite Element Cerapucs I had under there before, it's no contest. I am close to the improvement the turntable had when I used my Table Stable active isolation table under it....chalk up another stillpoint's victory.[/QUO
Same experience and results from Stillpoints in my system. Have you tried the Entreq Tellus boxes and earth cables?The Stillpoints sort the mechanical vibration and the Entreq sort the electrical interference and distortion. They entirely complement each other and have been very effective in my system.

Hi Barry2013, here's a question...have you tried Stillpoints under your silver tellus? I have tried it and recommend if you haven't already...;). It all makes a difference...;)

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Christian, I'm a little confused by your comments on getting close to active isolation results w/the Ultra 5s under your Clearaudio. Along with Mike Lavigne you were adamant that active (table Stable) really was a level beyond passive (Ultra 5s). I thought you'd gone from one form of support to the other and a clear winner emerged. What's made the difference the other way?

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
nothing to be confused about Spirit. The Utra 5's tighten and clarify the bass regions similar to my active isolation table but to a lesser degree, YMMV. I use the TS-140 under my Air Force One turntable now. The Clearaudio is my dedicated mono table, as such, getting close to active isolation via stillpoints is an economically sensible approach.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
I think I understand Christian. What you're saying is that Stillpoints is the closest you're getting to active, but active still rules. And if you can't stretch financially (or ergonomically) to active, Stillpoints give you a good deal of what active brings to the party. But if one is prepared to go the extra mile...

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
I think I understand Christian. What you're saying is that Stillpoints is the closest you're getting to active, but active still rules. And if you can't stretch financially (or ergonomically) to active, Stillpoints give you a good deal of what active brings to the party. But if one is prepared to go the extra mile...

It's a financial decision. The added mileage for listening to mono on active versus passive isn't justifiable for me at this point. I have a bigger kettle of fish to fry namely what direction I will go with a preamp upgrade...SS ala Pass XS pre or tube like Purity Audio design, Allnic or something else. I am more limited with tube as I require at least 3 balanced in's along with a tape loop with balanced connections. For SS, the Pass XS is the only contender for me and makes the most financial sense as I would trade in the XP 30 and the XP25 phono that now collects dust since going with the Allnic H5000 DHT phono.

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
It's a financial decision. The added mileage for listening to mono on active versus passive isn't justifiable for me at this point. I have a bigger kettle of fish to fry namely what direction I will go with a preamp upgrade...SS ala Pass XS pre or tube like Purity Audio design, Allnic or something else. I am more limited with tube as I require at least 3 balanced in's along with a tape loop with balanced connections. For SS, the Pass XS is the only contender for me and makes the most financial sense as I would trade in the XP 30 and the XP25 phono that now collects dust since going with the Allnic H5000 DHT phono.

You won't be limited for XLR inputs with an ARC preamp.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
My concern about ARC Ref 10 was Frank's less than reliable experience.

Either ARC's quality control has gone to hell in a hand basket or Frank was unlucky. There are lots of people on this forum who either own ARC gear now or who have owned ARC gear over the years and I don't see reliability as being a big issue in everything that I have read. I do think they stand by their products and offer really good service.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Either ARC's quality control has gone to hell in a hand basket or Frank was unlucky. There are lots of people on this forum who either own ARC gear now or who have owned ARC gear over the years and I don't see reliability as being a big issue in everything that I have read. I do think they stand by their products and offer really good service.

It is certainly a possibility if I can arrange a no obligation demo. We all know how hard it is to get a demo on SOTA gear.

Frank750

VIP/Donor
Jul 8, 2011
It is certainly a possibility if I can arrange a no obligation demo. We all know how hard it is to get a demo on SOTA gear.

The Ref 10 is an excellent preamp, the Ref 10 Phono is an even better phono pre. I do like the Xs Pre amp better though.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Looks very nearly like they were made to go together. Congrats on the sound more importantly. enjoy.

Frank750

VIP/Donor
Jul 8, 2011
Ultra 5's on the Mono rig. 1982 Beatles Japan Red Wax mono record.

Do you just have the table sitting in the screw holes of the Stillpoints or are adapters screwed in?

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
Hi Barry2013, here's a question...have you tried Stillpoints under your silver tellus? I have tried it and recommend if you haven't already...;). It all makes a difference...;)

Thanks Lloyd.
The Audience Aspect AR8 power conditioner has Minimus and the sources and speakers are Stillpointed, but the 2 Silver Tellus have just got some RDC cones.
I have been trying the Atlantis box and an Atlantis earth on the Vitus SIA 025 amp which has improved the sound quality giving it greater naturalness so a two outlet Atlantis box is on order together with
the Atlantis earth. I am also awaiting a Challenger i/c found on an internet sale which should arrive this week so Stillpoints for the boxes will be a future upgrade.
It's good to know that that is a worthwhile upgrade and I will keep you posted. Personal recommendations like that from from other members are really helpful so thank you very much.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Thanks Lloyd.
The Audience Aspect AR8 power conditioner has Minimus and the sources and speakers are Stillpointed, but the 2 Silver Tellus have just got some RDC cones.
I have been trying the Atlantis box and an Atlantis earth on the Vitus SIA 025 amp which has improved the sound quality giving it greater naturalness so a two outlet Atlantis box is on order together with
the Atlantis earth. I am also awaiting a Challenger i/c found on an internet sale which should arrive this week so Stillpoints for the boxes will be a future upgrade.
It's good to know that that is a worthwhile upgrade and I will keep you posted. Personal recommendations like that from from other members are really helpful so thank you very much.

Congrats...gonna be great! I know it.

mep

Apr 20, 2010

Well, some people know how hard it is, but I'm not one of them.

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
Speaking of adapters that screw in, the bottom of one of my Alexias has a tight threading. I can't screw a Stillpoint into it - it goes a 1/4" and gets stuck. Very stuck. I can't even screw in the Wilson spike without it getting stuck at the same point. The speaker came like this and I was able to use an allen wrench on the spike to force it in, but the Stillpoint adapters don't have this feature.

Any thoughts?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing