Incredible Stillpoints

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Thanks.

I'd love to try them, but wonder how effective they'd be on a carpeted floor.

Turntable is using them with his Maxx3 on his thick carpet and loves them...you can see photos of them under his spekaers...somewhere under the thread Stillpoints Ultra 5s and Wilson X1/Grand Slamms.

Frank750

VIP/Donor
Jul 8, 2011
Turntable is using them with his Maxx3 on his thick carpet and loves them...you can see photos of them under his spekaers...somewhere under the thread Stillpoints Ultra 5s and Wilson X1/Grand Slamms.

I use them on carpet under the network boxes of the MIT MA-X SHD speaker interfaces. Definite improvement.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
I think Christian is still using spikes. Don't know how effective they would be on carpet.

If my speakers were the size and weight of the Alexia, I would have tried it by now. As it stands, my 650lb behemoth's require outside help in order to set them up and investigate. It may be one of the last tweaks I try.

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
If my speakers were the size and weight of the Alexia, I would have tried it by now. As it stands, my 650lb behemoth's require outside help in order to set them up and investigate. It may be one of the last tweaks I try.

I have the same constraint, making me reluctant to try these under my speakers (in addition to hesitance writing a $5K check for "vibration control" devices).

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
My YG Acoustic Carmels have three Ultra SSs under each of them on carpet and when first fitted the improvement was immediate and marked.

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
Barry,

Did you have the super sized / adjustable / non stock cones under your Carmels before you installed the Ultra's?

GG

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
On Monday I'm going to go from 3 Ultra SS under each speaker (Acoustic Zen Crescendo) to 4, using threaded adaptors.

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
Hi GG,
I was just using the supplied feet on the Carmels prior to the Ultra SSs.
The Uk Stillpoints distributor kindly fitted them for me which did not take him very long at all so they must have a stock screw for the Carmels base/ plinth.
It has been a real value for money upgrade as have the other Stillpoints under the amp and sources,
Barry

LL21

Dec 26, 2010

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
IMO I feel this is the correct way to do it
Could be, although Stillpoints has advised me to try it all ways (i.e., either way up, screwed in or not) before making a final decision.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I would concur with that based on my own experience...experimentation should pay dividends. Good luck.

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
On Monday I'm going to go from 3 Ultra SS under each speaker (Acoustic Zen Crescendo) to 4, using threaded adaptors.

same here!

Going from 3 to 4 and threaded!

As they are now, I noticed a cleaner background, a grain-less midrange and of course a better bass resolution, notes are coming now from a solid/black soundstage than from the speaker cones itself.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
same here!

Going from 3 to 4 and threaded!

As they are now, I noticed a cleaner background, a grain-less midrange and of course a better bass resolution, notes are coming now from a solid/black soundstage than from the speaker cones itself.

Look forward to hearing how it goes...

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
Somewhat counterintuitive (to me, at least) findings. There's no doubt that for my speakers in my system, these (Ultra SS) work best as 3 per speaker, tapered end up. 4 in this orientation doesn't seem any different than three except that it's a little more difficult to level, and 4 per speaker using the threaded inserts is definitely and obviously worse (tubbier and less bass, and something not good (presumably) happens to the imaging). This is on a hardwood floor set on a concrete slab, so other floors may well be different.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Somewhat counterintuitive (to me, at least) findings. There's no doubt that for my speakers in my system, these (Ultra SS) work best as 3 per speaker, tapered end up. 4 in this orientation doesn't seem any different than three except that it's a little more difficult to level, and 4 per speaker using the threaded inserts is definitely and obviously worse (tubbier and less bass, and something not good (presumably) happens to the imaging). This is on a hardwood floor set on a concrete slab, so other floors may well be different.

I believe you because IMO it IS system dependent and somethings will indeed work differently

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City

That is interesting rbbert! I thought it was a no-brainer uograde ... I might need to double check.. Thanks!

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
I just added ultra 5's under my Clearaudio Master Innovation table. Compared to the Finite Element Cerapucs I had under there before, it's no contest. I am close to the improvement the turntable had when I used my Table Stable active isolation table under it....chalk up another stillpoint's victory.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing