Incredible Stillpoints

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Thanks for the report. These sorts of experiments bring interest to our hobby. I'm not familiar with the Vibraplane; does it require a minimum weight to operate? Is the 136 lb steel ballast plate part of that unit or otherwise (apart from weight and a flat surface) how does it function with the Vibraplane?

Hello tima, As far as I know, the Vibraplanes do not require a minimum weight. However, they are much more effective at isolating vibrations if they are loaded near their maximum design load. In the case of my three units, that is 275 lbs. Each of my amps weighs about 130 lbs. So I bought one 136 lb steel ballast plate and refinished and painted it myself. It looks great, but was a real hassle to do the work, so I both the other two ballast plates directly from Kinetic Systems, the company that makes Vibraplanes. They are located near Boston, so I just picked them all up and loaded the pallets in the back of my truck.

The ballast plates simply preload the Vibraplanes so that they can operate near their max. design loads for better isolation. I have not compared the Vibraplanes to active solutions like the Herzan platforms, or the Minus K units, so I don't know if they are as effective. I use a very quiet air compressor to keep mine inflated. The unit under my turntable is also very effective.

They do different things than the Stillpoints do, but I found the result to be cumulative. The Vibraplane improves the sound of my amps slightly more than the Stillpoints do. Each solution is better than nothing and they are better together that used alone. That is just my experience. I'm not aware of anyone else doing these kinds of tests.

I'm off now to listen to my first edition British pressing of Andrew Lloyd Webber's, Jesus Christ Superstar. Love this recording and Ian Gillan's vocals.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Thanks for the follow-up on the Vibraplane and using it with a ballast plate. Configuring a system on a wood floor is challenge I've not faced. Seems you have a fairly unique approach with two different technologies that are working together. Doesn't always happen (as you found with Stillpoints and your speakers) so it is fun when the experimenting bears fruit. I've gone through enough infrastructure changes myself that, although the idea that sonics can improve is kind of old hat, it is still a delight to experience the reality of improvement. When you return the Stillpoints to your friend do you think your memory of their effect will lead you to acquire your own?

That's a good question, tima. I'll make that decision before I return the Ultra 5s to my friend.

Frank750

VIP/Donor
Jul 8, 2011
I placed 3 Ultra SS under each of my MIT Oracle MA-X SHD speaker interface network boxes this afternoon. I'm amazed! What was great has been improved substantially. Clarity, bass, soundstage, especially clarity. Seems a little harsh now when I pull them out. Incredible!

Reactions: johndoe21ro

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
I placed 3 Ultra SS under each of my MIT Oracle MA-X SHD speaker interface network boxes this afternoon. I'm amazed! What was great has been improved substantially. Clarity, bass, soundstage, especially clarity. Seems a little harsh now when I pull them out. Incredible!

now you are going to make me interested in unplugging my Odin and putting the MIT back in with stillpoints...lol
I thought you were using Ultra 5's under the boxes ?

Frank750

VIP/Donor
Jul 8, 2011
now you are going to make me interested in unplugging my Odin and putting the MIT back in with stillpoints...lol
I thought you were using Ultra 5's under the boxes ?

Long story. I'll send you a PM.

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass

What?? You have MIT cables? I'm surprised. I thought for sure with all that high end Pass, Playback Designs and Shunyata gear you'd have Transparent or Shunyata.

(I'm just kidding!)

Frank750

VIP/Donor
Jul 8, 2011
What?? You have MIT cables? I'm surprised. I thought for sure with all that high end Pass, Playback Designs and Shunyata gear you'd have Transparent or Shunyata.

(I'm just kidding!)

I actually tried Opus MM2 ICs a couple of years ago. They weren't tuned for my system at that time and I didn't think they were as good as the Kubala Sosna Elation I was using at the time. I never found the local Transparent dealer to be all that customer oriented so I didn't really push it.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I have now had Stillpoints new apertures in my system for about a week. I went from no room treatments to 4 of these panels. Fortunately 3 "hide" behind each of the 3 speakers in our living room and the 4th is in front of the flat screen.

I can finally enjoy massed strings on orchestral scale as much from an audiophile perspective as purely a music lover. I can "chew" on the massed strings with its varied nuances and detail, the varied pressure of the strings, and the individual instruments creating a textured sounds. That for me has been very very hard for any system to do well. The apertures don't "do" that to my system...but rather seem to allow the system (which is already doing it) finally present this to me without the hardness and congealing of the strings that apparently comes from the room...namely the walls behind the speakers. Wonderful work once again Stillpoints. Thank you!

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
I have now had Stillpoints new apertures in my system for about a week. I went from no room treatments to 4 of these panels. Fortunately 3 "hide" behind each of the 3 speakers in our living room and the 4th is in front of the flat screen.

I can finally enjoy massed strings on orchestral scale as much from an audiophile perspective as purely a music lover. I can "chew" on the massed strings with its varied nuances and detail, the varied pressure of the strings, and the individual instruments creating a textured sounds. That for me has been very very hard for any system to do well. The apertures don't "do" that to my system...but rather seem to allow the system (which is already doing it) finally present this to me without the hardness and congealing of the strings that apparently comes from the room...namely the walls behind the speakers. Wonderful work once again Stillpoints. Thank you!

Wow, sounds like a pretty dramatic improvement. Contrats! However, you now owe us a photo. :)

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Wow, sounds like a pretty dramatic improvement. Contrats! However, you now owe us a photo. :)

Another test is 'dark metal' or gothic metal like Evanescence...the strings and keyboard all can sometimes blend into one tiresome screech...but with this setup, electronic guitar, voices straining and keys all are different, nuanced, even organic...quite a cool element to music that can sound somewhat lean and stringy.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Another test is 'dark metal' or gothic metal like Evanescence...the strings and keyboard all can sometimes blend into one tiresome screech...but with this setup, electronic guitar, voices straining and keys all are different, nuanced, even organic...quite a cool element to music that can sound somewhat lean and stringy.

Another test is Linkin Park...great music (imho). Cranked, it can and will harden...that's the system hardening of course. But with the Stillpoints Apertures, the room does not overload as easily (a scary thing ;) )...and as a result of the Apertures this morning, cranked Dark Side of the Moon and Linkin Park far beyond the 'old limit', and the guitars at full tilt 'growl' naturally all the way thru rather than harden. Effortless was the first thought that came to mind when cranking DSOTM this morning. A lot of fun, and certainly confirms for me how important a treated room is...and this for me is just one step in most likely many steps...although those will have to wait til dedicated room.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Lloyd, Do you find with these recent changes to isolation and room treatment that you might benefit from slight changes to speaker placement or tilt/shift in the Wilson upper modules? It sounds as though improvements are generally in terms of increased clarity rather than shifts in tonal balance, so perhaps nothing needs to change with speaker positions.

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
Another test is Linkin Park...great music (imho). Cranked, it can and will harden...that's the system hardening of course. But with the Stillpoints Apertures, the room does not overload as easily (a scary thing ;) )...and as a result of the Apertures this morning, cranked Dark Side of the Moon and Linkin Park far beyond the 'old limit', and the guitars at full tilt 'growl' naturally all the way thru rather than harden. Effortless was the first thought that came to mind when cranking DSOTM this morning. A lot of fun, and certainly confirms for me how important a treated room is...and this for me is just one step in most likely many steps...although those will have to wait til dedicated room.

Linkin Park!!!!!!!
Bah System of A Down far better :)
Ok more so their older material.
And OK I really like Linkin Park myself :)

Cheers
Orb

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Lloyd, Do you find with these recent changes to isolation and room treatment that you might benefit from slight changes to speaker placement or tilt/shift in the Wilson upper modules? It sounds as though improvements are generally in terms of increased clarity rather than shifts in tonal balance, so perhaps nothing needs to change with speaker positions.
Hi Peter,

I have considered speaker placement tweaking due to some interactions with the back wall I can hear. These most recent apertures have helped tremendously in this regard. That said, the primary reason I have not experimented is because the X1s are very difficult to readjust yourself. You have to remove the entire panel on both sides, unscrew a bunch of different screws, etc. and the risk I would say is that 9 positions out of 10 I might try would be far worse.

I am totally cool with the tonal qualities...more than cool. I am always maintaining it no matter what tweaks I add. That is a must for me.

At this point I feel like I have done as much as I can think of in terms of adding an isolation sandwich to all 11 components incl both Wilson speakers and Velodyne. The Apertures are as much as I will do in our living room since they are almost totally hidden behind the speakers.

I am down to Speakers and speaker cables to hit my personal ultimate dream system. And happy to take my time...

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Linkin Park!!!!!!!
Bah System of A Down far better :)
Ok more so their older material.
And OK I really like Linkin Park myself :)

Cheers
Orb
Thanks orb! I never heard of these guys? Which one should I try? Toxicity?

LL21

Dec 26, 2010

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Hi Peter,

I am totally cool with the tonal qualities...more than cool. I am always maintaining it no matter what tweaks I add. That is a must for me.

I am down to Speakers and speaker cables to hit my personal ultimate dream system. And happy to take my time...

In my opinion, you have identified two of the essential aspects of this hobby: prioritizing tone and taking one's time. I've been enjoying keeping up with your progress. Congratulations. I agree with Madfloyd: please post some photos, Lloyd.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
In my opinion, you have identified two of the essential aspects of this hobby: prioritizing tone and taking one's time. I've been enjoying keeping up with your progress. Congratulations...

Thanks, Peter. Your reviews and advice have also played a part in this. I have had the dream system in my head since 2005...that's 9 years so far, and nearly there. 10 years to get to this point, one 2nd hand/demo item at a time. A few things have changed...I use to have an HRS M3 rack on my 'List' and I would still consider it very seriously, but I have been very, very happy with Ultra 5s and HRS M3/Nimbus Couplers. But the bigger pieces have not changed from my List...Zanden, CJ, Gryphon and Transparent. Very fortunate and blessed to be sure.

Reactions: johndoe21ro

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing