Pics of the New VPI Tables

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
1277704_612644382089186_1057763714_o (1).jpg 1379351_623889567631334_1928199887_n.jpg 1378746_630261666994124_1971292008_n.jpg 1077487_596790540341237_232289666_o.jpg 1237470_612644628755828_1772968482_o.jpg

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I heard about those new DD's. Seems like a big departure for them.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Myles will be getting his new VPI DD table very soon and I'm looking forward to hearing his thoughts on how it sounds.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
and a huge price increase to boot. They are trying to compete with the big boyz...I suppose.

Well they have always competed with the big boys. Fremer even said the earlier Classic 1 VPI table was within a whisker of his Continuum for 1/20th the cost.

The motor alone in the Classic Direct costs $4000. Friends who have the new 3D arm say it's the biggest improvement they've heard in a VPI product to date.

Lately, there's been some magic in the newer DD tables.

I don't think one can be dogmatic about the table drive system anymore; all are darn good and it's the execution that separates the men from the boys.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Myles will be getting his new VPI DD table very soon and I'm looking forward to hearing his thoughts on how it sounds.

Yes it should arrive next week.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Well they have always competed with the big boys. Fremer even said the earlier Classic 1 VPI table was within a whisker of his Continuum for 1/20th the cost.

I think that is a stretch, imho...assigning percentages of how close in sound one component is to another is far from an exact science. I thought my clearaudio master Innovation could only be improved marginally. The TechDAS kills it.

Congrats on the new VPI. It sounds like an awesome table...

mep

Apr 20, 2010
I think that is a stretch, imho...assigning percentages of how close in sound one component is to another is far from an exact science. I thought my clearaudio master Innovation could only be improved marginally. The TechDAS kills it.

Christian-Since your new AF1 "kills" your old, tired Clearaudio table, would you please send me that hunk of junk to me? I will gladly pay for the shipping. :D

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

Thanks Christian. Looking forward to the new table and also the new Doshi phono stage in about three months. Hopefully will have it in time to finish the reviews of the Proteus, 9TT and Universe cartridges. Then would love to get an Azule in here ;)

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Christian-Since your new AF1 "kills" your old, tired Clearaudio table, would you please send me that hunk of junk to me? I will gladly pay for the shipping. :D

I wish I could...it is far from junk. The biggest difference is the complete silence the AF 1 plays records virtually devoid of record surface noise...almost like cd silence. This was one of nishakawa san's design goals. The difference really comes through playing classical music. You just don't hear the record other than the music. My clearaudio is now my dedicated mono record playback. I use my Ikeda 9tt mono cart on my 10" graham. The TechDas uses a Koetsu Coralstone on the 12" graham in the rear slot and I will be using a dynavector xv1t for the elite arm when they are ready by ces.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
I wish I could...it is far from junk. The biggest difference is the complete silence the AF 1 plays records virtually devoid of record surface noise...almost like cd silence. This was one of nishakawa san's design goals. The difference really comes through playing classical music. You just don't hear the record other than the music. My clearaudio is now my dedicated mono record playback. I use my Ikeda 9tt mono cart on my 10" graham. The TechDas uses a Koetsu Coralstone on the 12" graham in the rear slot and I will be using a dynavector xv1t for the elite arm when they are ready by ces.

Christian why not the Coralstone in the Elite?

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Christian why not the Coralstone in the Elite?

I could, but it has about 600 hours on it and it performs great on the 12". I also have the tiger eye with 150 hours. I have two arm wands for each arm, so I could mix and match. I am excited to hear my xv1 t. It is still new in box.

mep

Apr 20, 2010

I know you know that I was kidding. I think the world of that Clearaudio table and I have never forgotten the impression it left me with when I heard it with the Goldfinger cartridge.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
I know you know that I was kidding. I think the world of that Clearaudio table and I have never forgotten the impression it left me with when I heard it with the Goldfinger cartridge.

It is a great performer no doubt. The AF1 is just that much better. I would not have believed it until I had it in my system. I got my allnic h5000 DHT yesterday. I am expecting big things from this tubed monster. Out of the box and unbroken in, my xp 25 sounds better. I am confident that this will be a temporary situation, until the 5000 breaks in. I am using a granite audio phono burnin cd to speed things along when I am not listening.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Hi Christian,

It looks like the AF1 will become a little more silent still. They have a new record weight made just for it. Thank goodness it isn't a screw down one. I hate those. Such a hassle.

I haven't heard the 3D arm of Harry yet, but in my limited experience, the big jump I've heard with VPI is going to the all stainless platters. With those they got it in goldilocks territory between the old acrylics, old delrins and stainless delrin combos.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Hi Christian,

It looks like the AF1 will become a little more silent still. They have a new record weight made just for it. Thank goodness it isn't a screw down one. I hate those. Such a hassle.

Like you Jack, I enjoy not having to use the outer ring on a record...so much easier and convenient. When you get more info on the record weight for the AF1, please post it...

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Done. It's up now in the appropriate forum C.

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
Hi Christian,

I haven't heard the 3D arm of Harry yet, but in my limited experience, the big jump I've heard with VPI is going to the all stainless platters. With those they got it in goldilocks territory between the old acrylics, old delrins and stainless delrin combos.

Jack,

VPI are using aluminium platters. Are you saying they should be using stainless steel? ;)

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Ooops Al it is. :) My HRX had the sandwich.

caesar

May 30, 2010

The motor alone in the Classic Direct costs $4000. Friends who have the new 3D arm say it's the biggest improvement they've heard in a VPI product to date.

Lately, there's been some magic in the newer DD tables.

I don't think one can be dogmatic about the table drive system anymore; all are darn good and it's the execution that separates the men from the boys.

Myles, why has it taken VPI such a long time to come out with a higher priced product? Unfortunately, as has been discussed ad nauseum, many people perceive an audio brand not having a higher priced model as mediocre, and not give them true consideration as they would to a company that has products at all price points on the spectrum. So better late than never, I guess.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing