Genesis System

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Please allow me to all cap the KICK AZZ :)

BobW

Aug 26, 2014
I have few if them as well. I do not use them for te amps though I felt if did not help. I too multiple circuits in same phase and all the rest.
Info feel they help some devices. Video improvement is exceptional
Dacs some
Msb feels better not too. I have tried it both ways and nothing to say.
Really nice layout. And thanks for posting about your stuff.
Gary protein when j am done your invited

A question do your irs have the brass plate on the back with serial number.
??

Actaully, they are Genesis 1.1s, not IRS.

ca1ore

Aug 31, 2010
Remember hearing these (or maybe the 1) years ago at Lyric in NYC. First and only time I heard a speaker that convincingly reproduced the size of live music (my G201s are nice, really nice actually, but they don't quite do that). Awesome rig!

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Remember hearing these (or maybe the 1) years ago at Lyric in NYC. First and only time I heard a speaker that convincingly reproduced the size of live music (my G201s are nice, really nice actually, but they don't quite do that). Awesome rig!

+1...have not heard 201s but am mighty impressed by the Genesis 1.1s...

BobW

Aug 26, 2014

I had a pair of G200s before the 1.1s. They are amazing speakers. I had a pair of Infinity RS 4.5 before those.

BobW

Aug 26, 2014
Beautiful room!

What kind of components are those? VPI TNT, ARC Ref?

You have a good eye. Yes, ARC REF 210 mono blocks, ARC REF 3, VPI TNT4, JMW arm, Benz Micro Ruby. Also PS Audio: Directstream, PWT, P10s

LL21

Dec 26, 2010

I had a pair of G200s before the 1.1s. They are amazing speakers. I had a pair of Infinity RS 4.5 before those.

The person whose 1.1s I heard also owned G200s before going to the 1.1s. A pattern to watch, ca1ore!

wilson1

Jun 14, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
You have a good eye. Yes, ARC REF 210 mono blocks, ARC REF 3, VPI TNT4, JMW arm, Benz Micro Ruby. Also PS Audio: Directstream, PWT, P10s
Good taste, hahaa!

That's pretty much what i have, except for the digital end.. you might want to consider the Vertere TT next, VPI is no match for it.. it's just so much more musical, everything just sounds right..

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
beautiful!

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
Here's a dream set-up at a dealer's showroom comprising four brands not commonly seen in the USA: Genesis G2Jr loudspeakers, Gryphon Mephisto power amp, Viola Cadenza preamp and CH Precision C1 DAC. Source was either my home-made Genesis Music Server or the Gryphon Mikado used as a transport.

We inadvertently caused some ripples in a quiet pond with my visit to the little island of Penang in Malaysia. If our competitors have to resort to saying that a hi-fi loudspeaker only needs to go down to 30 Hz for a full sound and going down to as low as 16 Hz is not necessary and may be counter productive - I call 'sour grapes'!!

A Bosendorfer Imperial grand piano has a lowest note with a frequency of 16.5Hz. The listener will hear and feel this note when struck, but will not hear it as a pitch. Even when this note is not played, a Bosendorfer Imperial sounds richer and fuller than an ordinary Bosendorfer. The extra strings below the standard 88-key piano's lowest key of 27.5Hz resonate when other keys are struck and contribute to the piano's sonic character.

We can easily demonstrate how clearly audible the loss of the lowest octave of music is as both the Genesis One and Genesis Two have a high-pass control. This control allows the user to cut off bass below frequencies from 16Hz to 32Hz. When you set this control at 32Hz, you hear it as a loss of richness in orchestras, pianos (even not the Bosendorfer), double bass, etc.

However, more important than being able to reproduce the notes of a Bosendorfer Imperial grand or a pipe organ, is the ability to produce the sub-harmonics that are the basis of recorded ambience and hall-sound.

The sense of scale is carried by the lowest frequencies. 30Hz has a wavelength of 37ft and 16Hz has a wavelength of 70ft. When you are listening to music being recorded in a large venue like a concert hall or a cathedral, it is the ability to reproduce the low frequencies that gives you the sense of grandeur and reproduce the ambience of a large symphony hall or live rock music in a stadium.

With an excellent recording of solo piano in a large hall (an example is Ms. Ito Ema playing Bachs Goldberg Variations on a 1903 Steinway & Sons Model D Patent Grand in The Harmony Hall, Matsumoto, Japan) you hear the rich presence of the piano in the large acoustic space. Raising the high-pass frequency from 16Hz, by the time it gets up to 25Hz, the richness of the piano and the ambience of the hall starts to diminish. By 32Hz, you might as well be listening to a cheap piano recorded in a studio. There is no longer the sense of space of the hall, or richness of the sound of the rare vintage piano.

The Genesis 2.2 Junior is our smallest speaker that will go down to a true 16Hz. Currently on demo at HiFi Choice, Midlands Park Centre, Penang, Malaysia.

Juniors.jpg

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
As always your explanations give meaning to why it does matter and why they are just wrong.
Grea read and beautiful setup. Elegance come to mind

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Indeed, indeed gary! I always get a kick looking at my RTA and knowing my LF is ramped up higher than my device can measure. LOL. Tail up baby, tail up! Feel the completeness, Feeeeeeeeel it!

DonH50

Member Sponsor & WBF Technical Expert
Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO
Nice systems, Gary.

Piano and many other instruments have percussive waves that go very low. Without that something is indeed lost. It was a revelation to me many decades ago when I switched from IRS 2's to low-end Magnepans and loved everything but the missing low bass. I figured it didn't really matter if they only stretched to 45 ~ 50 Hz or so. A year or three later when I finally designed a sub to go with them (a servo sub before they were popular, and well before I could afford to buy one!) the difference with and without sub was amazing. It led to a bunch of my friends getting (or building) subs, and the store I worked added a couple of sub lines after the owner heard the difference with and without my sub.

Of course, everyone had to try the Telarc 1812, even though my sub did not go to 6 Hz. Just the sight of the grooves in that record was enough to scare off most cartridges, and their owners! :)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing