Genesis System

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
1398750_736754093017466_650391609_o.jpg

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Is that room really wide enough for those speakers? It looks like they are shoehorned in there.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Is that room really wide enough for those speakers? It looks like they are shoehorned in there.

Sure Gary knows more :)

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Love the look of the 2.2s with the acrylic bases. They look like they are floating.

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
Thanks for putting this up, Myles.

This room is in Sweden. The customer went from Infinity Beta (many years) thru Wilson MAXX 2 and then back to the 4-tower ribbon Genesis 2.2.

The room is extremely narrow, but very long. It is also open to the left side for almost the entire length of the room, and the right side opens to a sun room that is about 4m wide. So, while the "alcove" where the speakers and system are located are constrained, the room itself is pretty huge.

It worked fabulously well. The customer mostly listened to rock, and Deep Purple "Live" sounded unconstrained.

The Krell digital has already been replaced with TOTL Esoteric. The FPB amp are likely to be replaced soon too.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Stunning...thanks for the feedback Gary.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Thanks for putting this up, Myles.

This room is in Sweden. The customer went from Infinity Beta (many years) thru Wilson MAXX 2 and then back to the 4-tower ribbon Genesis 2.2.

The Krell digital has already been replaced with TOTL Esoteric. The FPB amp are likely to be replaced soon too.

Interesting...what will the owner be using in place of the FPB monos?

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
nice one, gary! good luck with that sale. I would love to hear the 2.2s or DRagons someday. If I am back in HK, I will give the dealer there a call.

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
Shoehorn needed

Another system where it looks like a shoehorn is needed, but according to all reports, the system sounds fabulous. The owner is an experienced audiophile and seems to have tuned the system to perfection. That looks like an Esoteric source, with a Burmester 808 preamp. Not sure what is the rest of the system.

G-II Malaysia.jpg

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Another system where it looks like a shoehorn is needed, but according to all reports, the system sounds fabulous. The owner is an experienced audiophile and seems to have tuned the system to perfection. That looks like an Esoteric source, with a Burmester 808 preamp. Not sure what is the rest of the system.

View attachment 13019

Hi Gary...which system is this? This is not the 1.2...is this the 201? There are only 4 cones in the sub towers vs I think 6 in your current reference 1.2/Dragons. how wide is this front panel...and how does it compare with your 1.2, assuming my guess is correct?

zermatt

Oct 5, 2010
wash dc
I had Infinity RS1 and Beta's for over twenty five years. I now have Scaena 3.2, they are very good. But I am not as happy with the speaker as I was with the Beta's. I would really like a pair of Genesis 2.2 in carbon fiber with wood accents. Gary is that possible?

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I had Infinity RS1 and Beta's for over twenty five years. I now have Scaena 3.2, they are very good. But I am not as happy with the speaker as I was with the Beta's. I would really like a pair of Genesis 2.2 in carbon fiber with wood accents. Gary is that possible?

Great feedback. I bet Gary can customize...good luck!

audioblazer

Member Sponsor
May 13, 2010
Malaysia
I had the pleasure to listen to this system. Got me interested in Genesis 4 towers if I have the room & dough for it . He is using a acoustic signature TT mated with Ikeda 407 & Kai catridge. Sounded so lively. I would want better imaging but with zero room treatment & in a family hall with back wall closed up with wood panels , it's very commendable & speaks volume about the quality of the Genesis 2. He did tweaked his syst by changing all connectors to furutech carbon fiver connectors , Orb Kyoto distributor which run over Furutech Daytona conditioner & entreq silver tells ground box with entreq silver ground cables . It seems the game changer are the stillpoints ultra 5 footers on both Ribbon z& Bass towers .

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I had the pleasure to listen to this system. Got me interested in Genesis 4 towers if I have the room & dough for it . He is using a acoustic signature TT mated with Ikeda 407 & Kai catridge. Sounded so lively. I would want better imaging but with zero room treatment & in a family hall with back wall closed up with wood panels , it's very commendable & speaks volume about the quality of the Genesis 2. He did tweaked his syst by changing all connectors to furutech carbon fiver connectors , Orb Kyoto distributor which run over Furutech Daytona conditioner & entreq silver tells ground box with entreq silver ground cables . It seems the game changer are the stillpoints ultra 5 footers on both Ribbon z& Bass towers .

Great feedback...thanks! And yes, I have recommended to a friend of mine who owns the 1.1s to try Ultra 5s.

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA

Now that we have our own CNC machine, anything is possible :)

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
Hi Gary...which system is this? This is not the 1.2...is this the 201? There are only 4 cones in the sub towers vs I think 6 in your current reference 1.2/Dragons. how wide is this front panel...and how does it compare with your 1.2, assuming my guess is correct?

It is a pair of Genesis II - manufactured between 1996 and 1998. The front panel is slightly narrower than the narrow-wing G1.2. Overall height is about 10 inches or 25cm shorter (with the addition of the Stillpoints Ultra footers).

LL21

Dec 26, 2010

Now that we have our own CNC machine, anything is possible :)

It is a pair of Genesis II - manufactured between 1996 and 1998. The front panel is slightly narrower than the narrow-wing G1.2. Overall height is about 10 inches or 25cm shorter (with the addition of the Stillpoints Ultra footers).

I knew it! Thanks for the feedback Gary...what made you change the design to the Genesis 2.2 relative to the Genesis 2 vs the 1.2 which seems more similar to 1.1? Given room constraints, I am starting fine tune my attention to your 4 tower 2.2 by the way.

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
Because the swept-back wings on the G2.2 is just as effective as the narrow wings on the old Gen-II, but is very much more stable. Too many pairs of Gen-II have been destroyed because they fell over when the wings broke off the base! To make it more stable, then you would have to go with the massive footers of the G1, and the cost, etc. which then make them very much more expensive.

Rosewood veneer in sheets large enough to cover these wings are also difficult to come by and extremely expensive. The old-growth trees that will produce a veneer sheet 96" long by 10" wide are extinct.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing