Magico S5 vs Wilson Alexia

Status
Not open for further replies.

mbovaird

Banned
Jan 5, 2013
Thanks for the clarification. Mine are going to be Pewter. I can't justify the upgrade colors....but they are perdy!

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
So what is the price of the Q3 and Q5?

I know the Alexia is $48.5k and the color upgrade is another $5k

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
What about them? Did the OP ask people to chime in with any speakers they liked at the same price point as the Magico S5 and the Wilson Alexia? Or, did the OP ask people if they have heard the Magico S5 and the Wilson Alexias and compared them head-to-head? I'm pretty sure the OP didn't ask people to give opinions on other speakers that sell "for about the same price" or other speakers that other people liked better than the two he inquired about. This is the second time in this thread you have provided alternative speakers when the OP is simply asking if people have heard both the Magico S5 and the Wilson Alexia speakers and compared them head-to-head.

Just curious

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
After a 6 month journey I narrowed it down to those two. I'm going S5's.

Congrats and I sincerely hope you are very happy with your choice.

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
After a 6 month journey I narrowed it down to those two. I'm going S5's.

Mike,

Good choice. What amp now? :D

Prices: Q3 is roughly $48, with the Q5 around $75.

Myself, I preferred the Q3 over the S5, but I understand those who prefer the S5 over the Q3...

alexandre

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
But what did happen to the Aidas? Did you ditch them for the Alexia?

Yes. Although the Aida's were great speakers, they were taking almost all my system budget and I was not able to "fuel" them properly. I made the mistake of listening to them in my listening room with Odin and a top digital system (Metronome Kalista + C2A), as well as ARC REF750s, and then they have shown what they able to do. But I am not prepared to go this way, as as a good friend was desperately needing them, ;) I got the Alexia.

I had listened to a lot of speakers, had the X2's in my system for a few weeks, but after being used to the transparency and nuance of the Aida tweeter, I did not find comfortable with them in my actual system - too many things to change. I felt in love with the XLF, and slowly realized that the Alexia has many of the good things of the big sister. So the new king is now the Alexia.

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
Well grtz to both of you :)

Just curious Micro, did you get the chance to listen to the S5 with a diverse range of electronics (amps and cd or dacs)?
Cheers
Orb

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Very interesting comments indeed. I always find it interesting that we audiophiles equate price with sound. If it costs more, it must sound better? The one thing I learned during my 6 month journey to find new speakers was the importance of being honest with myself. The S5 soundly trumps the Q5 IMO. (...)

The Q5 is an wonderful speaker, but will need a completely different system than the S5. If you compare both in the same conditions you are making a disservice to one of them.

IMHO audiophiles do not equate price with sound. But usually manufacturers do not make the more expensive product sounding worst than the cheaper one. Surely this happens exceptionally - everyone remembers the M5 and the Q5.

Yes, if the Q5 was more efficient I would have also considered it.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Well grtz to both of you :)

Just curious Micro, did you get the chance to listen to the S5 with a diverse range of electronics (amps and cd or dacs)?
Cheers
Orb

Yes. Constellation Audio, Dartzeel and even ARC/ D'Agostino.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
So what is the price of the Q3 and Q5?

I know the Alexia is $48.5k and the color upgrade is another $5k

I got the Mocha Black - pictures can not show how good looking is this finish.

mbovaird

Banned
Jan 5, 2013
Mike,

Good choice. What amp now? :D

Prices: Q3 is roughly $48, with the Q5 around $75.

Myself, I preferred the Q3 over the S5, but I understand those who prefer the S5 over the Q3...

alexandre
VAC all the way. They are only two blocks from my house to boot! A pair of phi200's.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Thought you would had been thorough but no harm asking :)
Thanks
Orb

Thanks you did - it is the purpose of audio forums.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Mike,

alexandre

I agree with Alexandre, but I think it has a lot to do with the type of music one prefers. I find the Q3 to be more tonally neutral and ideal for acoustic music like classical and non amplified jazz. The S5 may appeal more to those who like amplified music like rock. I found the S5 to be warmer and have a punchier bass with more slam. Though it is a sealed cabinet, the S5 bass reminded me more of the ported Wilson bass than that of other Magico speakers.

I think both the Alexia and the S5 need very high current, high quality amplifiers.

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
Though it is a sealed cabinet, the S5 bass reminded me more of the ported Wilson bass than that of other Magico speakers.

Interesting. Bass articulation and speed is where I got the biggest imrovement over my Sashas.

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
Interesting. Bass articulation and speed is where I got the biggest imrovement over my Sashas.

Elberoth, how do you find the soundstage with the S5's?

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
I think that Sashas had slightly deeper soundstage. I said 'I think' as I also had some system changes along the way, which might have influenced that as well. That is the only downside compared to Sashas I can think of, as the S5 are way smoother, more fluent and natural sounding.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I think that Sashas had slightly deeper soundstage. I said 'I think' as I also had some system changes along the way, which might have influenced that as well. That is the only downside compared to Sashas I can think of, as the S5 are way smoother, more fluent and natural sounding.

My immediate reaction to hearing the S5 was more coherent presentation than the Sashas with quicker transient response...the Sashas by comparison seemed to be a bit thicker in each note...presumably in an effort to create a sense of coherence/seamlessness/smoothness, but I felt the S5 was more successful in these regards. To be fair, it is also a newer design...and I feel like its contemporary generation Alexia is far more coherent, faster than the Sasha as well. Not comparing the two since price is different...but nonetheless they are of a similar generation/vintage. Overall, preferred the S5 to Sasha (on first impressions).

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing