Magico S5 vs Wilson Alexia

Status
Not open for further replies.

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
<snip>
BTW, I feel that if you provide the Q5 with the proper electronics and system, they will eclipsate the S5. But it seems I am alone in this choice ...

I agree with you and will add that the Magico Q5 with the right electronics, read very powerful, will eclipse many speakers , including several top of the line contenders. Those Q5 would be hand down my next speakers if it weren't for the caveats of too low a sensitivity and it seems a difficult load. I am a big amp fan but not of low sensitivity speakers or tortuous impedance curves ...

Last edited:

Bodhi

Apr 20, 2014
Only way to find out what you like is to compare gear under personal room conditions, decide what you like best and sell the loser. This results in a lot of net gear swapping - sometimes the incumbent wins, but this still results in an audiogon listing and trip to fedex.
I think everyone starts out that way, but after several years in this hobby, countless hours of reading, developing a good relationship with my Dealer, asking questions & most importantly listening to different gear, speaking for myself I find I don't need to audition gear in my system to pretty much know it will achieve the desired sound and synergy I'm looking for. In my situation, for a variety of reasons i'm not always able to audition gear at home pre-purchase. However the fact that I have been extremely happy with all my recent gear choices vindicates my approach. Mind you, I don't regret going through the process of flipping gear when I started out. That's part of the learning process.

Bodhi

Apr 20, 2014
So at the end of the day, people can read my opinion and reviews on various gear and as always, take it with a grain of salt and ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS do their own listening and research or they can read your opinion on living with different gear - which is....uhhh....very little.
How to write disingenuous comments and influence people...

Last edited:

Bodhi

Apr 20, 2014
Yes, and many times the Q series setups use Soulution or similar "fast" and what I consider, bleached-sounding electronics. I would much prefer to hear the S vs Q on tube amps or DarTZeel in the same room, such as yours.
Keith, have you heard the new Soulution 5 & 7 series amps? I recently heard the YG Haileys in a treated room with 501 mono's & 520 preamp and was surprised how smooth and dense sounding the music was. That combo sounded very good & didn't have the characteristic beached out sound of past models yore. That said, I still prefer Vitus and Dartzeel with Magico Q & S series in that order, however I'd now be happy to throw Soulution into the mix.

Bodhi

Apr 20, 2014
Obviously ignorant people like you will read into it whatever they want. Clearly, that is NOT what I said.
This is the definition of "ignorant" from the Oxford dictionary - "Lacking knowledge or awareness in general; uneducated or unsophisticated". It is not ok to character assassinate another member who you don't even know (and in a public forum no less). I mean, don't you have your own forum?

Bodhi

Apr 20, 2014
Bodhi - if your only exposure to the Alexia's was with ARC gear - it's no wonder you weren't a fan. I heard the Alexia's with a REF150/REF5SE and let's just say, the combo was not good at all.
They were Ref250 mono blocks for the record. Secondly, I have also heard the Alexia's with D'Agostino Momentum mono's and a full DCS Vivaldi stack and would still take the S5's over Alexia every time.

As for Bodhi and his continued love fest and defender for all things S5 and Vitus - I'm happy for him. If he has found his perfect system, great. I owned the Alexia's and S5's at the same time, with the same variety of gear and cables and I could never get the S5's to engage with me. They were the epitome of "HiFi". In my home, the VAC amps sounded the best on the S5....but once again, HiFi. Would things have been different with Vitus gear? Perhaps. I can certainly say every time I heard the Magico S series speakers with Vitus it was exceptionally good.
Far be if for you to engage in a "love fest" about any of your gear, right? Talk about the pot calling the kettle black! I write positive things about Vitus/Magico because imho this combo has excellent synergy & sounds very musical. That's why forums like this exist. By your reference to "defender for all things S5 and Vitus" I assume you are referring to sending your mate on Audioshark to aggressively attack me in a Magico thread to the point where I terminated my membership in disgust? I don't appreciate your bitter, disingenuous comments here.

Last edited:

mbovaird

Banned
Jan 5, 2013
They were Ref250 mono blocks for the record. Secondly, I have also heard the Alexia's with D'Agostino Momentum mono's and a full DCS Vivaldi stack and would still take the S5's over Alexia.

Far be if for you to engage in a "love fest" about any of your gear, right? Talk about the pot calling the kettle black! I write positive things about Vitus/Magico because imho this combo has excellent synergy & sounds very musical. That's why forums like this exist. By your reference to "defender for all things S5 and Vitus" I assume you are referring to sending your mate on Audioshark to aggressively attack me in a Magico thread to the point where I terminated my membership in disgust? I don't appreciate your bitter, disingenuous comments here. For other members, when I terminated my membership on that forum my status changed to "Suspended". Then not long after, the status was changed to "banned. Date the ban will be lifted: Never". Members here can draw their own conclusions.

Bodhi - you are a real piece of work you know. You ASKED ME to delete your account from Audioshark (should I share that email, huh?). There is no option to "suspend" an account. It is banned or nothing. And at a YOUR request, that's what I did.

Now, let's also talk about YOUR actions which lead to YOUR request shall we? You had the audacity to actually call Magico to complain that one of their dealers on my site gave his opinion - GASP! - his opinion being that the Magico S3's sounded better than the Magico S5's in his small room. His opinion outraged you, the defender of all things S5, that you actually called Magico whining and complaining about his OPINION.

You are a real piece of work.

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com
Guys, let's keep interpersonal discussion out of the threads. Spilling over with arguments from another forum, etc. only detracts from our forum content. Further off-topic bickering will not be acceptable.

Lee

mbovaird

Banned
Jan 5, 2013
Guys, let's keep interpersonal discussion out of the threads. Spilling over with arguments from another forum, etc. only detracts from our forum content. Further off-topic bickering will not be acceptable.

Lee

Thank you Lee, you are right. But since he brought it up, I needed to address it.

Back to the topic at hand. To be honest, you may want to close this thread. As the OP, I can honest say its run it's course. But totally your call.

Bodhi

Apr 20, 2014
Bodhi - you are a real piece of work you know. You ASKED ME to delete your account from Audioshark (should I share that email, huh?). There is no option to "suspend" an account. It is banned or nothing. And at a YOUR request, that's what I did.

Now, let's also talk about YOUR actions which lead to YOUR request shall we? You had the audacity to actually call Magico to complain that one of their dealers on my site gave his opinion - GASP! - his opinion being that the Magico S3's sounded better than the Magico S5's in his small room. His opinion outraged you, the defender of all things S5, that you actually called Magico whining and complaining about his OPINION.

You are a real piece of work.
At Lee's request I will not respond further to your comments, suffice to say your accusations above are false and grossly misleading.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Lockin' this baby down as requested

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing