New Doshi 3.0 phono pre

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
I listened to the 3.0 phono this past weekend at Myles's place, and I must say, this is one spectacular phono section. Extremely quiet, extremely resolving, fabulous and tight bass, extended highs, very transparent... just exceptional. And it also lets you A/B loadings. I would even call it a killer phono, very worthy of a home audition.

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
I have been tempted to bring his stack in and give it a try it I'm my room. May need a bit more arm twisting.

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
Just have been playing my Doshi 3.0 tape pre pro with Nick's latest additions (as of 12/19/2016). Sounds wonderful with the latest Tape Project tape (Mozart Piano Concertos 21 and 24 from Reference Recordings - Eugene Istomin piano.)

Larry

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com
Can anyone tell me how to interpret the display of the v3 phono stage? I am auditioning a used unit without a manual, and the display readout is x.xx, so I don't know how to interpret a loading of, e.g. 420 ohms or 500 ohms.

I am using a Benz LPS cartridge. My current Einstein phono stage, run "wide open" has a resistance of 470 ohms, or 940 in balanced mode (from the Einstein manual.)

I tried initially running the Doshi with the display reading 4.70, then 5.00 (which sounded a wee-bit better). I just wish I could interpret the readout accurately.

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com

This is the readout, I think this may be an early version of the v3 cosmetics. I've seen other pictures that don't have the decimal point. Should this be interpreted as 251 ohms?

dminches

Oct 22, 2011

This is the readout, I think this may be an early version of the v3 cosmetics. I've seen other pictures that don't have the decimal point. Should this be interpreted as 251 ohms?

I have never seen a decimal point in that place. I would suggest you send an email to Nick Doshi and ask him.

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com
I have never seen a decimal point in that place. I would suggest you send an email to Nick Doshi and ask him.

I did. Haven't heard back as of yet. Was hoping I could get some help here!

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
I did. Haven't heard back as of yet. Was hoping I could get some help here!

I don't think the loading goes down to 2.51 so the readout confuses me. On my first MC input I have it set to 270 for my Clearaudio Goldfinger Statement. No decimal point. If I move it to MM it says 47.0.

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com
The photo on the Doshi website does not show the decimal point, so there must be some change to the display on the newest v3 units.

Now you, like myself, are confused about how to interpret the display.

From the website:
With MC cartridges, loading can be varied from 10 to 250 Ohms in 10 Ohm steps and from 250 to 6K Ohms in 20 Ohm steps. Two loading options can be stored and toggled to allow instantaneous comparison, thereby facilitating fine-tuning of any MC cartridge. Two MM inputs—47 kOhms and 10 kOhms—are also provided.

I did cycle through the inputs, and remember seeing the 47 but don't recall the location of the decimal point. I am going to take a few pictures of the range of values on the display, see if anything can be interpreted, including looking to see where (if) the values change how much they increment. It will at least give an idea of where 250 Ohms is.

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com
OK, problem solved... I just needed to continue to decriment the values, the display lost the decimal point and continued down to 10, so now I can set at 480 with some confidence that gets me 480 Ohms.

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com
Holy Crap! At 420 my Benz LPS is knocking me out right now. Tonality is now what I was hearing from my Einstein, but I am gobsmacked at the extra resolution and mostly the extra three-dimensionality of voices and instruments. Placement on the soundstage seems to be more precise and focused. How much of what I am hearing is excellent tube vs. excellent solid-state I can't say as I've never run a tubed phono-pre before in my system.

It is going to be a fun weekend!

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
Has anyone tried replacing the 12AT7s in positions 3 and 4 with 12ax7s to increase the gain? My Ortofon Diamond Anna has a very low 0.2 mV output so getting a little extra gain would be helpful at times.

Reactions: plasmod3

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing