New Doshi 3.0 phono pre

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
Nick introduced the new series 3.0 at the RMAF show this weekend. With better aesthetics, the newer series will certainly be a big hit.

I'll let Nick chime in on what has or has not changed in the new 3.0

Here is a pic of the phono stage I just took home!

photo.JPG photo-1.JPG

Doshi 3.0 Line Stage. This is a vastly different pre with dual led volume readout.

Doshi 3.0 Jhor 160watt monobloc amps. These new amps use the KT120 tube and should be able to drive any speaker

Doshi 3.0 Tape pre. Needless to say that I'm getting mine upgraded. There are vu meters on the front (no more Fluke meter!) AND the EQ adjustments are also on the front. VERY NICE!

Way to go Nick! Congrats on a well received room at RMAF!!

Last edited:

Asamel

Jan 22, 2012
Philly
Wow! Is there a pic of the new tape pre anywhere? It sounds great.

Bruce in PA

Bruce B

Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
It's very similar to the phono above (or the tape pre) and has 2 small vu meters in the center and a door that you can open on the front right with knobs inside.

Asamel

Jan 22, 2012
Philly
I'm interested in the look with the VU and new knobs. These baby's are a thing of beauty.

Thanks!

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
I'm interested in the look with the VU and new knobs. These baby's are a thing of beauty.

Thanks!

not only that but they sound magnificent. Best tape pre I have ever heard.....tubes.....and noise free

hvbias

Jun 22, 2012
New England area
Bruce I didn't think you were one of us nutters that spun those scratchy black platters :D Is this for work or play?

doshiaudio

Mar 9, 2013
Virginia
www.doshiaudio.com
I'm sure it can be configured any way you want!

This unit has differential (balanced) inputs. The input connectors are RCA to mate with most phono cables out there. If you have XLR's on your phono cable from the cartridge, I will install female xlr's on the unit. If your phono cable is wired like most phono cables on the market, it is already bringing a balanced connection from the cartridge to the RCA's so the only advantage is having the shielding complete all the way into the phono stage (with RCA connectors, the -ve side is exposed at the connection). We worked out a similar setup with Steve Williams Tape stage so that he can use it with the internal studer electronics (although i dont think he has switched away from his Doshi Tape stage in quite awhile :))
HTH

Bruce B

Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
Bruce I didn't think you were one of us nutters that spun those scratchy black platters :D Is this for work or play?

I've got about 3k albums, but yes, it's mostly for work. Every time I need a digital transfer of an album, Mike has been kind enough to let me use his rig.

Steve Williams

This unit has differential (balanced) inputs. The input connectors are RCA to mate with most phono cables out there. If you have XLR's on your phono cable from the cartridge, I will install female xlr's on the unit. If your phono cable is wired like most phono cables on the market, it is already bringing a balanced connection from the cartridge to the RCA's so the only advantage is having the shielding complete all the way into the phono stage (with RCA connectors, the -ve side is exposed at the connection). We worked out a similar setup with Steve Williams Tape stage so that he can use it with the internal studer electronics (although i dont think he has switched away from his Doshi Tape stage in quite awhile :))
HTH

Nick

Time is a commodity so once you flicked the switch to bypass the heads and use your tape pre it has been such a revelation for me that I have never gone the other way for comparison. Simply put,there is no need as it is the best sound I've heard in my system. The darn thing about it is that all I am listening to is tape. As a result it is proving somewhat costly as I buy more and more music. However it is worth it. For those who heard tape in Nick's room, you know what I mean and I am listening on larger Wilson's so what more can I say :)

Yes Nick can describe to you what he did for me . Essentially I took a Balanced Valhalla cable and kept the balanced XLR for out of Nick's unit but converting the other end to SE but balanced

Steve Williams

Nick:

That's great. If I can ask - what's the price point for the phono?

Ken Golden

You should speak to Larry Marcus at Paragon Sight and Sound in Michigan as he is in charge of that end of things

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Hi Bruce, congrats on your new phono stage ! What did you have before and any comparison comments? I am considering a new phono stage very soon...Allnic, Ypsilon are a few on my list. I know Myles was pretty impressed with the previous version of the Doshi Phono...

Curious what's changed in this version...Thanks !

Sound Affair

Sep 10, 2012
Hi Bruce, congrats on your new phono stage ! What did you have before and any comparison comments? I am considering a new phono stage very soon...Allnic, Ypsilon are a few on my list. I know Myles was pretty impressed with the previous version of the Doshi Phono...

It would be interesting to see how it stacks up against the ypsilon and other top phono stages considering all love it seems to be getting. Nick didn't detail what had been changed from the older version when he chimed in and visually it looks like a new chassis excluding the second loading control knob?

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
It would be interesting to see how it stacks up against the ypsilon and other top phono stages considering all love it seems to be getting. Nick didn't detail what had been changed from the older version when he chimed in and visually it looks like a new chassis excluding the second loading control knob?

They are going to be different sounding beasts, in particular phono stages with transformers for gain/load (Allnic, Ypsilon) versus resistive circuits like the Doshi.

Bruce B

Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA

I've been out of the vinyl thing for about 5yr. My last phono pre was the one in the CAT Ultimate and before that was the Krell KPE Ref.
So just going by memory, I hope I'm upgrading! ;)

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
I've been out of the vinyl thing for about 5yr. My last phono pre was the one in the CAT Ultimate and before that was the Krell KPE Ref.
So just going by memory, I hope I'm upgrading! ;)

What sounded better, the CAT Ultimate phono section or the Krell KPE Ref phono stage? Was your Krell KPE Ref the standalone version with the outboard power supply?

Bruce B

Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
What sounded better, the CAT Ultimate phono section or the Krell KPE Ref phono stage? Was your Krell KPE Ref the standalone version with the outboard power supply?

Definitely the CAT sounded better in my system.
Yes, the Krell was the standalone with separate PS. At the time the pre was the ML 380S

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing