New Doshi 3.0 phono pre

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
I hope everyone realizes that the Doshi phono stage is a hybrid unit which I think uses FETs on the input side to increase the gain so you can use it with low output MC cartridges. That explains why Nick is getting such low noise out of his phono section. Tubes alone could never pull that off.

If the implementation works and it sounds good, fine by me!

audioarcher

May 6, 2012
Seattle area
I hope everyone realizes that the Doshi phono stage is a hybrid unit which I think uses FETs on the input side to increase the gain so you can use it with low output MC cartridges. That explains why Nick is getting such low noise out of his phono section. Tubes alone could never pull that off.

That's true Mark. 26db of it's 72db gain is solid state. The amazing part is, it is still quieter than any SS phono stage I have heard. Are there quieter stages out there? Maybe. Do they sound as good though?

audioarcher

May 6, 2012
Seattle area
The H-3000V I'm using with an XV-1s cart isn't producing any noise at all. I can't hear a difference between the DAC and the phono input with my ear against the tweeter (volume up at normal listening level). Very quiet. Not as low as your cart though.

The Allnic is very quiet. Don't get me wrong. Plenty quiet for any cart .25 mv and up.

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
If the implementation works and it sounds good, fine by me!

Bruce-I don't want you to think for one second I'm knocking Nick's decision to use a SS front end for his tube phono stage-quite the opposite. As anyone who has met Nick knows, he is truly a "No Dogma" guy. Nick will use whatever works and sounds best in a given application and I respect him for that. I probably spent too much time sitting in the Paragon/Doshi room at RMAF 2013 listening to Nick's electronics, but I enjoyed every second which is why I kept coming back. Larry is a great guy. Nick is a great guy. Their room sounded like heaven and when you put the combo together, why would you want to leave in order to hear mainly marginal rooms?

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
That's true Mark. 26db of it's 72db gain is solid state. The amazing part is, it is still quieter than any SS phono stage I have heard. Are there quieter stages out there? Maybe. Do they sound as good though?

Read my response to Bruce. I'm not knocking Nick's choice because I think it is the right choice.

puroagave

Member Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
another factor hardly considered is speaker sensitivity, for a given reference level with all other things being equal you'll hear more phono 'noise' if your speakers sensitivity is on the low side like me (84db). the guys with alexias at 90db can get away with a noisier phono stage.

the quietest 'stage i've ever tried, bar none, was john curl's vendetta...but its been a while.

audioarcher

May 6, 2012
Seattle area
another factor hardly considered is speaker sensitivity, for a given reference level with all other things being equal you'll hear more phono 'noise' if your speakers sensitivity is on the low side like me (84db). the guys with alexias at 90db can get away with a noisier phono stage.

the quietest 'stage i've ever tried, bar none, was john curl's vendetta...but its been a while.

Good point. I had not really thought about that, but it makes sense. The more gain your system needs the quieter that gain needs to be. My speakers have about 89db sensitivity according to Stereophile.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
The H-3000V I'm using with an XV-1s cart isn't producing any noise at all. I can't hear a difference between the DAC and the phono input with my ear against the tweeter (volume up at normal listening level). Very quiet. Not as low as your cart though.

Ian I'm not necessarily referring to the noise out of the speaker eg. hiss but the noise in the music eg. transparency. It's the same feeling you get say when putting the better MIT cables in. It's something that's there that the ear can filter out but when it's gone, you all of a sudden pick up.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

Sorry, I can not understand your point. The sensitivity of the speakers is the same for noise or signal, it will not affect your perception of the phono unit noise, as you will use different positions in the volume control with different speakers.

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney

same with my TW Acustic tube phono. FET in the front end, keeps it very quiet.

Sound Affair

Sep 10, 2012
If Bruce's phono pre is 3.0 this must be 3.1?

Looks like Nick has updated the chassis again with lcd front and remote control loading.

doshi phono 3.01.jpg doshi phono 3.02.jpg

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
Yep that is the latest design. The pre-amp and amps have the same design.

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Yep that is the latest design. The pre-amp and amps have the same design.

Does anyone know the list price of the newer Doshi phono?

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan

doshiaudio

Mar 9, 2013
Virginia
www.doshiaudio.com
Contact Larry at Paragon Sight and Sound in Ann Arbor.

Please contact Larry with pricing questions . Also please keep in mind that there are 2 phono stages - the one shown above which has the cosmetics / functionality to match the V3 gear. I also make a unit that has metering and the ability to use the meters in sum and difference mode to help with VTA and azimuth adjustments. I call this the studio unit and it has cosmetics targeted more towards pro use(similar to the tape stage). Those at the Paragon event may recall that we used both types of phono stages at the demo. The Studio unit was in use to demo the stereo and mono playback via the brinkmann spyder table and I demo'd the Transparent phono cable using the V3 remote controlled unit

Some users prefer the remote control features and some like to use the meters. Phono studio Small.jpg
Studio unit shown above

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Nick, Larry and I are trading emails...will call him in the next few days...I'd like to find a phono stage #1 that betters my Nagra VPS and #2 can be a great match with my Allaerts MC2 Finish (.2mv out put...32ohm internal impedance)...if I picked another cartridge it's likely be the Allaerts Formula...with even lower output...I am a transparent cable user also...Still-One mentioned a special differential cable from Transparent...

doshiaudio

Mar 9, 2013
Virginia
www.doshiaudio.com
Nick, Larry and I are trading emails...will call him in the next few days...I'd like to find a phono stage #1 that betters my Nagra VPS and #2 can be a great match with my Allaerts MC2 Finish (.2mv out put...32ohm internal impedance)...if I picked another cartridge it's likely be the Allaerts Formula...with even lower output...I am a transparent cable user also...Still-One mentioned a special differential cable from Transparent...

The Doshi Phono stage should have no problem with the Allaerts cartridges. One of my personal cartridges is the Benz Ebony TR and I do not have any noise issues with noise from a .05mv MC. We demonstrated a Transparent opus phono with a differential network at the Paragon event a few weeks ago. After a few years of patient persuading, Transparent produced a cable with differential network to take full advantage of the differential input in the Doshi Phono and the results were staggering. Please feel free to reach out to Larry and if there any technical specifis, i'll be happy to jump in.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
I
Please contact Larry with pricing questions . Also please keep in mind that there are 2 phono stages - the one shown above which has the cosmetics / functionality to match the V3 gear. I also make a unit that has metering and the ability to use the meters in sum and difference mode to help with VTA and azimuth adjustments. I call this the studio unit and it has cosmetics targeted more towards pro use(similar to the tape stage). Those at the Paragon event may recall that we used both types
Iof phono stages at the demo. The Studio unit was in use to demo the stereo and mono playback via the brinkmann spyder table and I demo'd the Transparent phono cable using the V3 remote controlled unit

Some users prefer the remote control features and some like to use the meters. View attachment 18244
Studio unit shown above
I need a second pre..perhaps this is the one I need to try. The XP25 will go the way of the XP30 towards XS pre upgrade. That is my all out assault plan.

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Looks like my dealer is getting the Doshi stack (phono, pre, amp) to consider stocking. I'm very much looking forward to hearing it and possibly demo'ing the phono stage in my home !

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing