Manual Sequential
Axe
Leafblower
Newspaper

Nightlord

Dec 30, 2012
Sweden
Cd
Land line (to speak over, otherwise cell)
Desktop (iPad doesn't count as laptop in my book)
Coffee beans
hard copy
Manual transmission
Axe
Rake
Newspaper or Cable news? Neither actually. Online news.

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Vinyl
Landline (I dislike being constantly connected)
Desktop
Coffee - no preference
Hard copy
Automatic (I'm done with manual)
Neither - don't have a need.
Neither - don't have a need
Newspaper

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
Both
Cell
Desktop
Whole beans
Hard copy
Depends on the vehicle
Chainsaw
Leaf blower
Newspaper

caesar

May 30, 2010
Gregadd, I know where you are going with this. But to me it's not about the OR. Instead, it is about applying great design to meet your objectives. Simply put, the greatest designers humanize technology.

If I am on the run, I want a mobile device. If I'm sitting back in an open space, I want the newspaper. I love analog, but if I can find great music on digital, I want it to sound like it's human beings performing it rather than some robot that sounds like the equivalent of the Apple Siri voice.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Gregadd, I know where you are going with this. But to me it's not about the OR. Instead, it is about applying great design to meet your objectives. Simply put, the greatest designers humanize technology.

If I am on the run, I want a mobile device. If I'm sitting back in an open space, I want the newspaper. I love analog, but if I can find great music on digital, I want it to sound like it's human beings performing it rather than some robot that sounds like the equivalent of the Apple Siri voice.

Gheez....

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
I think maybe there might be some correlation between manual machines and vinyl playback When that silver disc disappears in the machine who knows what is going on Iin there. You still have to clean it. For the hobbyist hands on is the way to go
I thought about it when I told WHART I prefer hard copy. Fora while hard copy had better pictures. Now with HD and large screens and search engines the difference is disappearing. I can still find a date in my calendar faster or locate page 29 faster than a computer. That is going to be a thing of the past soon.

I long for the days when I knew where the phone was and I could pick up the receiver and just say hello.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Cd or vinly - CD Not sure what "vinly" is though. :D
Land line or cellular: Land line still has the best clarity but otherwise, it has no value for us. Everyone has their own number in the house with cell and we don't have to act like switch operators for them :).
Desktop or Laptop: Both. Everyday is laptop. Photo and video editing on Deskktop.
Coffee beans or pre-grind: neither. don't drink coffee :). But the kids who love coffee grind their own.
hard copy or e-zine: hard copy is still much better I think.
Manual or automatic transmission: Used to swear by Manual, but now, automatic is it :).
Axe or chainsaw: Never come within a mile of a real chain saw. But the ones with protected jaws, I like. I think I have had more accidents with the Axe than that unit!
Rake or leaf blower: this is funny. I use a blower even though the broom works faster and better for our drive way! :D
Newspaper or Cable news. Neither. Get most of my news on my phone if not all of it.

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
For hi-fi, my personal preference, owing largely to the huge 4 plus decades investment i have in vinyl, is vinyl. But, i'm not adverse to digital, i figure i would have to spend a fortune to get it nailed. So, I'd consider tape next, partly due to the fact that I could probably get access to legitimate tapes at some point due to my involvement in the music business.
What were the other questions? :)
Oh, stick all the way, no paddle shifters for me. Right hand drive, OK too; I don't like power steering, power windows, I'm really into primitive when it comes to automobiles- going back to pre-war stuff.
On books, as Greg mentioned, I like e-books and magazines- my wife and i had to make monthly trips to the library to donate books we had read. Recently, I gave away a Volvo station wagon-full of car magazines to the son of a friend. It's all clutter, as far as I'm concerned. Of course, I like the quality of fine books, and have some, but for general reading, I've been pretty happy with Kindle. (I don't like reading on a tablet or bright screen, I find it too fatiguing).
On 'puters, I'm a smartphone, iPad, iMac, laptop kinda guy- shifted to Apple several years ago, and generally pretty happy. (Actually love the iPad, which i use with a bluetooth keyboard).
Grind my own beans using a burr grinder. We have a small family owned roaster in Ybor City, Florida who ships us a very dark espresso roast (5-6lbs) each month. Very rich without excessive caffeine. (I like black coffee in a mug).
We don't raise our own cattle (yet), but I'm partial to aged, bone-in rib-eyes from certain ranches. :)

I don't get near chainsaws or axes.
The only calls we get on the landline are robo-calls. Next place, I see no need for a landline except for the security systems.
So, I guess I'm neo-old skool.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
It might be interesting for people put their ages with their preferences. For example, I'm 60 and often think of myself as a curmudgeon, but I'm clearly "new school" by these criteria :D

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
It might be interesting for people put their ages with their preferences. For example, I'm 60 and often think of myself as a curmudgeon, but I'm clearly "new school" by these criteria :D

I'm 58.85

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB

Kal Rubinson

May 4, 2010
NYC
www.stereophile.com
Take a poll
Do you prefer:

Too much "or."

Cd or vinyl - SACD, BR, streaming (although I still have a wall of LPs)
Land line or cellular - Both
Desktop or Laptop - Both
Coffee beans or pre-grind - Both (one in apt, the other in house)
hard copy or e-zine - hard copy
Manual or automatic transmission - AT (or I'd have to ferry my wife all the time)
Axe or chainsaw - neither (My wife handles the chainsaw. See above.)
Rake or leaf blower - neither (I don't do any yard work. See above.)
Newspaper or Cable news. - Newspaper (See hardcopy above.)

puroagave

Member Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
vinly
cellular
Laptop
Coffee beans - preferably home roasted
hard copy
Manual transmission - its my preferece but i drive an auto daily
Axe - if the job is too big for a axe its probably a waste of my time
Rake - if the job is too big for a rake its probably a waste of my time
Newspaper

im 48

hvbias

Jun 22, 2012
New England area
I am pretty much analog only, I haven't turned on the digital in a long time (will be dumped at some point). Looking forward to getting into tape. I love Spotify premium and good headphones/amp at the office; instant access to an enormous music library.

We have a land line and cell, I prefer the latter, but the land line is nice for lengthy international calls. I have a "desktop" that acts as a server, I rarely use it directly, it has VNC access. I like to browse and type on a laptop over iPad. My preference is for super light machines like my S431, if the EMR software wasn't so terrible on OSX I would have an MBA. Not a huge fan of cell phone browsing, other than checking email and sports scores. Instant email notifications for PMs on forums is nice as well.

I buy coffee beans from this gent in Arizona (OBR) and used to use manual pour over, I now prefer the Technivorm for less hassle... and an 860XL for espresso. Want to get into roasting my own... :).

If I were living in Manhattan I would have to do automatic and small (like 135is). The times I have been stuck on the Verazano or GW bridge in my manual I was not too happy. For all other situations manual is brilliant, even in Boston it's not bad.

E-subscriptions for newspapers, paper for magazines.

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
If I were living in Manhattan I would have to do automatic and small (like 135is). The times I have been stuck on the Verazano or GW bridge in my manual I was not too happy. For all other situations manual is brilliant, even in Boston it's not bad.

I used to commute to NYC (across GWB) and down the WS highway in a GT2 clubsport.
But, I was a masochist. :)

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Take a poll
Do you prefer:

Cd or vinly
Land line or cellular
Desktop or Laptop
Coffee beans or pre-grind
hard copy or e-zine
Manual or automatic transmission
Axe or chainsaw
Rake or leaf blower
Newspaper or Cable news.

forgot to take my own test;
vinyl
Land line
Laptop I don't like tablets
Coffee beans
Hard copy
Manual
Axe
Rake
Newspaper when I can stomach the news

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing