Raidho speakers: has their sonic signature changed in the last 10 years?

caesar

May 30, 2010
Do the newer models of Raidho's sound considerably different than what the designer was doing 10 years ago, or is the same sound just executed better?

Alan Sircom

[Industry Expert]/Member Sponsor
Aug 11, 2010
I think the simple answer is 'yes'.

The latest loudspeakers are considerably better executed than previous models, and that has changed the performance significantly. There is a big learning curve that comes with these loudspeakers in terms of positioning, support and system integration that you only discover in retrospect is applicable elsewhere, and as that discovery process filtered back to the loudspeaker design, subsequent models got a lot better.

Perhaps the best way of thinking about this is that you don't get the new S-Class Mercedes (with all its sci-fi bells and whistles) without having decades of S-Class Mercedes designs influencing the design. If you compared a 2014 W222 S-Class with a 20 year old W140 S-Class (in good condition) the driving experience would be very different, but you would be able to recognise the commonalities.

You even get this going from the C-1.1 to the D-1. The C-1.1 is one of the best speakers in its class (and beyond) I've ever used. The D-1 on paper adds virtually nothing to the mix, but the D-1 is better. A lot better. It doesn't undermine how good the C-1.1 is, and the D-1 doesn't make the C-1.1 sound like it's a hopeless design, but the D-1 shows just how much more can be had from an already excellent loudspeaker design. At the end of the review, I can go back to the C-1.1 and pack up the D-1s... I'd just prefer that I didn't.

The difficulty from my perspective is defining why and how that D-1 is so much better than the C-1.1. Objectively, there's not much between them. Subjectively, it's a completely different matter.

caesar

May 30, 2010
I think the simple answer is 'yes'.

The latest loudspeakers are considerably better executed than previous models, and that has changed the performance significantly. There is a big learning curve that comes with these loudspeakers in terms of positioning, support and system integration that you only discover in retrospect is applicable elsewhere, and as that discovery process filtered back to the loudspeaker design, subsequent models got a lot better.

Perhaps the best way of thinking about this is that you don't get the new S-Class Mercedes (with all its sci-fi bells and whistles) without having decades of S-Class Mercedes designs influencing the design. If you compared a 2014 W222 S-Class with a 20 year old W140 S-Class (in good condition) the driving experience would be very different, but you would be able to recognise the commonalities.

You even get this going from the C-1.1 to the D-1. The C-1.1 is one of the best speakers in its class (and beyond) I've ever used. The D-1 on paper adds virtually nothing to the mix, but the D-1 is better. A lot better. It doesn't undermine how good the C-1.1 is, and the D-1 doesn't make the C-1.1 sound like it's a hopeless design, but the D-1 shows just how much more can be had from an already excellent loudspeaker design. At the end of the review, I can go back to the C-1.1 and pack up the D-1s... I'd just prefer that I didn't.

The difficulty from my perspective is defining why and how that D-1 is so much better than the C-1.1. Objectively, there's not much between them. Subjectively, it's a completely different matter.

Thanks, Alan. I look forward reading your write-up. Raidho's paired with Rowland had a very nice showing at RMAF. It was the C model on a stand. But just as in boxing where good lightweights are fun to watch, but everyone likes the heavyweight KOs, I am now looking forward to hearing their bigger models, which I hope have a more solid bass foundation.

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Not that much different in my opinion still totally not my cup of tea.
I ve heard the floorstanding ones today with the diamond /carbon deposits on the aluminium cones
Ive heard them on aurender streaming and the small solution series .
Its completely the opposite as oppposed to the tape / tubes /naturalsound approach as far as i am concerned , but to each his own

i guess i am not a audiophile after all :D

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
Thanks, Alan. I look forward reading your write-up. Raidho's paired with Rowland had a very nice showing at RMAF. It was the C model on a stand. But just as in boxing where good lightweights are fun to watch, but everyone likes the heavyweight KOs, I am now looking forward to hearing their bigger models, which I hope have a more solid bass foundation.

I think those were D-model at RMAF ( black diamond cone )-but I can be wrong....

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
as far as i understood they are both alu cones , but either deposited with diamond /carbon or ceramic material hence the colour , no plunging of the depth either i would expect that a bit for the price .

nickif

May 17, 2013
I spent 2 hours at the dealer's listening to the C2.1s, they are great speakers! What impressed me most is the deep and powerful bass from the 4.5" bass drivers, simply amazing. Raidho is one of the two brands with best musicality I've yet to heard, along with the verity.

Peter Breuninger

[Industry Expert] Member Sponsor
Jul 20, 2010
Our very own Zach Galarza, the industry's hot new reviewer is taking delivery on a pair of brand spanking new D1s this week. I am very jealous. The new X1 is simply amazing...

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing