CH Precision D1

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
For B7 tube rolling ( and 2 box L7 too) please direct your HK plas to this thread: http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=127660.0

The DHT Dac idea came from HK demand, as far as I know. They also had more L7s intially than the rest of the world. The Big7 has caught on big time in the US and I think the UK as well. DSD playback is so great that its seems to be ear catcher, according to the UK folks.

CH people are ex-Anagram technology pedigree, so they have it going on for digital and may even consider LPF DSD module for the future (wink, wink)!

interesting...I read something about the Allnic 5000 DAC which people say is excellent, particularly for the money. It is Direct Heated Triode as well, no?

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
Yes, the prices are similar with the Allnic being about $1,000 more retail. Both use DHT tubes, BUT the Allnic uses 4X 3A5 tubes (small) while the Lampi uses 2X 45 triodes/2A3/101ds. The Lampi also uses 274b/5u4gb/GZ34 type single rectis (before was 2X 6x5 rectis.) Not sure what the Allnic uses…

Allnic uses the top ESS sabre chip for DSD and PCM and has an upsampling algorithm for converting all to DSD2X, Lampi uses an unidentified PCM chip (I guess BB) and chip-less DSD (LPF)…no upsampling ability provided. Lampi is eminently rollable and so far, vintage 45 triodes are proving their worth, and being cheaper than the stock tubes provided! Lampi launched the l7 last October, while Allnic lauched mid Summer.

Both should be good, though I never heard the Allnic. The tube tweaking in the Lampi is a winner with me! Also, the sound quality is the best I have heard from the Lamipizator to date. Check them out at the NYC show:

Gopher
Facilitator
We will be at the New York Audio Show - September 26-28. Rooms 382 and 373
« on: 5 Sep 2014, 08:35 pm »
I wanted to take a moment to invite my fellow ACers to come visit our rooms at the upcoming New York Audio Show. Both rooms are shaping up to be fantastic and we expect to have wonderful showings.

In room 383 we will be showing our new Big 7 DAC, TranspOrt, GM-70 mono blocks and debuting our new Head DAC!

Also present will be Mosaic Acoustics debuting their breath taking Lux speakers and Wavebridge Power conditioner as well as cabling, along with mechanical grounding shelves provided by Star Sound Audio and a peek at a Tube Research Labs' Samson.

In room 373 we will be showing our Big 7 along with a Level 4 DAC as we partner with our friends of Gingko Audio, Wells Audio and Danacables!

Budget some time to visit us!

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Yes, the prices are similar with the Allnic being about $1,000 more retail. Both use DHT tubes, BUT the Allnic uses 4X 3A5 tubes (small) while the Lampi uses 2X 45 triodes/2A3/101ds. The Lampi also uses 274b/5u4gb/GZ34 type single rectis (before was 2X 6x5 rectis.) Not sure what the Allnic uses…

Allnic uses the top ESS sabre chip for DSD and PCM and has an upsampling algorithm for converting all to DSD2X, Lampi uses an unidentified PCM chip (I guess BB) and chip-less DSD (LPF)…no upsampling ability provided. Lampi is eminently rollable and so far, vintage 45 triodes are proving their worth, and being cheaper than the stock tubes provided! Lampi launched the l7 last October, while Allnic lauched mid Summer.

Both should be good, though I never heard the Allnic. The tube tweaking in the Lampi is a winner with me! Also, the sound quality is the best I have heard from the Lamipizator to date. [/I][/B][/COLOR]

Thanks...good to know. The world seems divided on ess sabre when it comes to best chip. Some love it...others suggest it is fantastic but has an intrinsic design flaw where ultimately the best it can sound will not compete with, say, best r-t-r DACs etc...I have no idea.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Is a MSB a r t r. Dac ?

From DAC Info website:...looks like the answer is yes.

$ 5995 – MSB Technology – USA – Platinum - DAC IV

•DAC – USB – DSD •32 bit / 384 kHz – DAC Chips : R2R Ladder DACs

• digital input modules (one for free , max 3 modules) •USB audio class 1 – 48 – (16 bit / 48 kHz) – $495)
•USB audio class 2 - 192 - (24 bit / 192 kHz) – $ 995
•USB audio class 2 - 384 – (32 bit / 384 kHz) – $ 1395
•Coaxial - RCA connection (24 bit / 384 kHz) – $ 995
•Op S/EBU XLS (24 bit / 384 kHz) – $ 995
•MSB Network (for Data CD and UMT) $995
•Pro I2S (for Signature DATA CD) input – $995

•4 analog outputs •Left & Right RCA (unbalanced)
•Left & Right XLR (balanced)

•PSU •Desktop power supply
•Special Analog Power Base and upgraded Power Cable ($3495)

redsquare

Dec 9, 2013
Kinch, I like how you focused on the music; very well said. Piano notes are the most difficult for a digital system to convey and CH nails it with all the energy and life intact. I have tried the Lampizator as discussed here and it really is magical but the only problem I had with it was that it was quite colored and saturated (which some people love!) but the clarity and speed of the CH won me over. Are you using an X1? The differences are really startling.

kinch

Jan 7, 2014
Thanks redsquare; what with the last three years of demoing, trolling and reading industry tripe, the CH C1 was such a resounding find. Nothing else gave the cohesion that I didn't even know was in play. It really is a holy grail piece, for my musical tastes in my room. Very interested in your X1 experience as I am considering it. With a 30amp isolated power line, would you expect the X1 to add incrementally or more?

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
Kinch, I like how you focused on the music; very well said. Piano notes are the most difficult for a digital system to convey and CH nails it with all the energy and life intact. I have tried the Lampizator as discussed here and it really is magical but the only problem I had with it was that it was quite colored and saturated (which some people love!) but the clarity and speed of the CH won me over. Are you using an X1? The differences are really startling.

Red did you try the Big7 with the suggested tube roll? The vintage RCA globe speeds up the sound While retaining detail.

redsquare

Dec 9, 2013
Kinch - 20/30amp lines have no bearing here. The X1 is the most "over the top" power supply I've ever seen or heard. No power line can replace a power supply. Even cold the X1 instills incredible weight and ease but with time it just takes on greater dimension.

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
Now that is not true of any device used for audio. Although one circuit alone is not needed for a DAC. Having dedicated circuits for a listening room is a must if possible. Search on here there are threads to explain it.
Al

redsquare

Dec 9, 2013
The point is that a dedicated 20-30Amp line is not a substitute for the CH X1, not that a dedicated line is not important. I have 20amp lines and when I introduced the X1, it was revelatory.

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
Red, here is something rather inexpensive you can try. Make sure all the gear in your audio chain have the SAME polarity. You can do this with something like a Silk power conditioner or by simply testing every prong and reversing the wiring if necessary. Wjhen all are aligned, you will be richly rewarded!

kinch

Jan 7, 2014
CH PRECISION IS TAS GOLDEN EAR
2/5 are CH, in two different component categories. Pretty heady stuff, likely unprecedented, if you're into the reviewers. My take is that Taffels' review was suspicious for his prior reference system but he nails the essence of the C1. Now that my C1 is settling in, harmonic structure is fleshing out. Woodiness of the cello belly is being added to the rosin traction on the bow hairs.
Redsquare: X1 is pending, thanks for your input!

http://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/2014-golden-ear-awards-alan-taffel/

redsquare

Dec 9, 2013
Kinch, are you a musician? and did you get your X1 yet? curious about your impressions.... I ordered the new L1 pre/X1 combo and really looking forward to it!

kinch

Jan 7, 2014
Hi Redsquare, no musical talent just rote practice and theory. BTW, choral works for 40 voices (rundfunkchor berlin), was dissected perfectly by the C1 today (!). Looking forward to X1 and will keep thread updated, best,

jackson_k

VIP/Donor
Jan 19, 2019
Los Angeles
I am currently considering D1 vs ESOTERIC P02 or the other Esoteric higher end models, do you think it is worth to go with the D1 or mainly the other Esoteric grade transport will do the job ?

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
CH D1 and Eso P02 both got proprietary digital connection formats in additional to the usual spdif digital outputs.

What's your DAC?

nickif

May 17, 2013
If you want the best of best for digital front end, please try to listen to JMF audio, it’s a killer. I upgraded to JMF transport and dac from CH D1+ C1, no comparison. JMF wins by far in every aspect.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing