Will our (young) children live to 1000 or even 2000 years old?

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Fascinating question, yes? This video is a great watch. It is hosted by Michio Kaku who is a theoretical physicist but physics is not what it is about. So it may not make sense on the surface that he would narrate and guide this video. But there is a reason: theoretical physicist live by imagining new scenarios beyond the scope that we might think currently. And I think he does a great job here.

Seeing how we have so many people from the medical field in the forum, it would be good to get their reaction:

And how would you answer the question at the end of the video? For me it is a definite YES!

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
Fascinating question, yes? This video is a great watch. It is hosted by Michio Kaku who is a theoretical physicist but physics is not what it is about. So it may not make sense on the surface that he would narrate and guide this video. But there is a reason: theoretical physicist live by imagining new scenarios beyond the scope that we might think currently. And I think he does a great job here.

Seeing how we have so many people from the medical field in the forum, it would be good to get their reaction:

And how would you answer the question at the end of the video? For me it is a definite YES!

Well one of the core instincts of humanity is survival, and it is so strong that the desire to live as long as possible is pretty hard to shake. "I'm ready to go" is not something most people say, even when very old and sick. If we live to be 1,000, we'll certainly test the limits of that instinct. Personally, i can't imagine wanting to live that long, but I see my father, at 95, all the time. He's still relatively healthy and still mentally competent, but he's very tired, has outlived every friend and relative of his generation, and has little energy left to do anything interesting with his life. If we can live to 1000, will that last period of our lives last 100 years? Please. Put a bullet to my head if it does. Five, ten years of that is probably the upper limit of tolerance.

Tim

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
I recently read that they can slow down the cell's processing aging.
They can analyse the cells of any individual and evaluate the cell's age. ...And from there ....

Of course, the younger your cells the longer you'll last. But thing is this: some older individuals have relatively young cells.

If man could live 1,000 years or so, it would help resolve all the past mistakes; well, most of them, and aim for a much better future.
If only man could at least think that way!

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
Michio, aka Mike in college, was my lab partner in a physics class at Harvard. He was a freshman and I was a sophomore. Smart guy - I think he graduated summa in physics. Funny, though, he has gotten a lot older.

Larry

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
It's great to hear that you had a chance encounter with him! I think he is very charismatic and hence the reason so many TV shows use him for science based material like above.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing