Q5 Owners

VT Skier

Feb 24, 2011
MRV, Vermont
I would greatly appreciate hearing from any Q5 owners, current or past, about their experiences with the speakers.

I'm contemplating a purchase, and I would love to hear from owners about their room size, partnering equipment, whether they've moved on from Magico, etc. Any information would be very helpful.

And if anyone would rather not post publicly, please feel free to send me a PM.

Thank you.

Sauerball

Member Sponsor
Jul 30, 2013
New York, NY
I just got mine two months ago . . . very happy. Maybe you could post a little about your system and your thoughts on why you're considering the Q5. PM if you'd prefer.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I think Sonrock has Q5s and quite a setup with a lot of experience with different equipment on the Q5 as well. You may wish to contact him here if you haven't already.

VT Skier

Feb 24, 2011
MRV, Vermont
To all who responded, thank you. Your comments are much appreciated.

To anyone who might be interested in the Q5, the primary complaint Q5 owners expressed was with bass response. I'm not sure if this is a sealed cabinet issue and a perceived lack of bass, or if the bass response is really not low enough to make these a true full-range speaker. If my notes are correct, the only owner who said he actually measured bass response has a 20' x 28' room, with speakers 8' from the rear walls. He found a noticeable drop off above 30Hz.

All owners who responded had their speakers in rooms larger than expected, or perhaps hoped, as mine is medium-sized. The average room seemed to be approximately 30' x 20'. And I believe all owners with large rooms are also using subwoofers.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Good to know...thanks. Have been most curious about Q7 with good subs...I think the Q5 + Subs is obviously same philosophy. The question is whether such a pairing can match the soundstage scale of an Arrakis or Genesis 1.2 setup. I am guessing it can match the XLF + Sub, but even then I am not sure. I am trying to audition it myself to find out.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
I am not a Q5 pwner. I did hear them at Overure audio setup in the main listening room. I heard bass that was deep and well defined. Someone esle heard them in Boston and reported them to be a little bass shy.
IMO if you are "hearing bass"you have probably over done it. Subs are a good idea because the take so mych stress off the main amp and drivers.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

To anyone who might be interested in the Q5, the primary complaint Q5 owners expressed was with bass response. I'm not sure if this is a sealed cabinet issue and a perceived lack of bass, or if the bass response is really not low enough to make these a true full-range speaker. If my notes are correct, the only owner who said he actually measured bass response has a 20' x 28' room, with speakers 8' from the rear walls. He found a noticeable drop off above 30Hz.

All owners who responded had their speakers in rooms larger than expected, or perhaps hoped, as mine is medium-sized. The average room seemed to be approximately 30' x 20'. And I believe all owners with large rooms are also using subwoofers.

The measured anechoic response of the Q5 published in Stereophile shows that the speaker is far from being flat, but the FR level at 30 and 20Hz, relative to the 1 kHz level is 0dB and -5dB, a very good result that per se could not explain such findings. However due to the 7 dB bump in the 50-60 Hz, the speaker will sound subjectively as lacking low bass. The reported drop-off above 30 Hz is probably due to cancellation due to the reflection at the 8' distant wall - the theoretical cancel at this distance is 35 Hz.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA

VT Skier, what size is your room? I have Magico Mini 2s in my 15' X 16' room and the local dealer told me the Q3 would be too much for a room that size, BUT Alon Wolf himself told me that the Q3 would be no problem with the sealed cabinet. I have not tried a larger Magico in my room yet but am very curious to know what it would be like.

stereo

Sep 1, 2012
VT Skier, what size is your room? I have Magico Mini 2s in my 15' X 16' room and the local dealer told me the Q3 would be too much for a room that size, BUT Alon Wolf himself told me that the Q3 would be no problem with the sealed cabinet. I have not tried a larger Magico in my room yet but am very curious to know what it would be like.
I don't think that the Q3 would be too much for your room size (of course it depends on room treatment).

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
I don't think that the Q3 would be too much for your room size (of course it depends on room treatment).

Same here

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

The main issue in a15'x 16' room is speaker placement, as the room is almost a square. If you are free to optimize it and place your self in a good position, the Q3 should be perfectly useable in your room, as it bass extension measures only 42 Hz at -6dB, according to the HFN review (Keith Howard measurements).

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
The main issue in a15'x 16' room is speaker placement, as the room is almost a square. If you are free to optimize it and place your self in a good position, the Q3 should be perfectly useable in your room, as it bass extension measures only 42 Hz at -6dB, according to the HFN review (Keith Howard measurements).

Only problem is that is a calculated bass measurement (is this an issue or not?) and not a true bass measurement, shame we do not have any from Soundstage yet but isnt one Magico on the way to them for review and measurement at NRC?

Cheers
Orb

tl audio

Oct 20, 2013
Q5

I would greatly appreciate hearing from any Q5 owners, current or past, about their experiences with the speakers.

I'm contemplating a purchase, and I would love to hear from owners about their room size, partnering equipment, whether they've moved on from Magico, etc. Any information would be very helpful.

And if anyone would rather not post publicly, please feel free to send me a PM.

Thank you.

Hello.i have own Q5.My room is about 6.5-6.7 m.I drive Q5 Avm eletronics-Bertram cable.If you have money i think Q5 is best if you want every area neutraj,accurate..I have now S5 listening.It is not so accurate but price class outstanding.I have own many ref class speaker and own.Magico is every area best.Of coarse is many good speakers others i like Acapella,Wilson,Soundlab very much too.But Magico is every area bass-middle-treble very very good.See photogallery my page www.tlaudio.fi.Sorry my bad english happy listening tapsa
if you want know more send me email

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing