Pigs Eye Jass LP

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Has anybody heard this LP? Fidelity First Volume 2 by Pigs Eye Jass on Insight Records. It has been on HP's list for the longest time, and a few months ago I heard it over at a friend's place, and the recording was among the best I've heard. Dixieland music but each instrument is very vivid and well defined. I hope I can get a copy.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Never heard it and it goes for between $350 to $500 on the latest ebay auctions :(

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Never heard it and it goes for between $350 to $500 on the latest ebay auctions :(

Yeah, Myles, I heard it was a bit pricey. I'm hoping still to land a copy. Keeping my fingers crossed and wallets very opened. LOL

audioblazer

Member Sponsor
May 13, 2010
Malaysia
Have this LP. Pretty rare. Took me about 3 years to hunt for a copy. Pride of ownership but not excited about the music

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Have this LP. Pretty rare. Took me about 3 years to hunt for a copy. Pride of ownership but not excited about the music

I'm still waiting for mine. I imagine it's not something that you'll listen too every week, but from what I've heard, it's a great recording.

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Finally got hold of this record. In terms of recording quality, it does not disappoint. Dixieland or ragtime jazz does not really excite a lot of people but once in a while I do get to appreciate this kind of music, given the right mood, and with added help from a natural sounding recording like this, with a lot of tonal purity, specially on the trombone and tuba, it can be downright addicting. The piano rendition is also exemplary. Head and shoulders above many piano recordings I have heard.

From the back liner notes:

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Congrats :)

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Thanks, Myles. :)

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I brought this record to the systems of both JackD201 and his brother who has the most extreme Von Schweickert system as posted in the pages here before. What a revelation. The apparent lower end limits of the Maggies clearly showed, as the drums in this recording is as naturally live as can be when I heard it on both the VR11s and the VR9s. The scale of course is bigger on the 11s but dynamically, both systems showed what a great recording can do. Each whack of the drum is clearly heard and felt and this is something completely missing essentially on my Maggies. And on the VR11 system, with all the turntables, arms, and cart combinations, the soundstage can clearly be 'seen', as in shrinking on one set of front end, and expanding on another combination. What a revealing record this is. And the more I listen to it, the more 'musical' it becomes.

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
It must be good.... I just looked this up on eBay, and someone's asking for $400 for a mint copy of the first volume.

Gary,

And that is not even the same record as this one I posted. That one on ebay has a label called 'Douglas Dynamics', I have a friend who have that DD copy and I was able to compare mine with his. They are two different records. My copy, which is listed by HP in his Super list, has a label called 'Insight Records', so I'm not sure that the ebay copy is a 'volume 1' version of the copy I posted, as the label should be also from Insight Records to be a true Volume 1. The cut selections of the DD copy are not even entirely the same as the IR copy based on what I heard and seen, and hands down, the Insight Record sounds much better.

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
Thanks, Jadis.

I wasn't sure because it wasn't the same cover as the one you posted. I was late to this thread, so I probably missed them already even if there were any available. A quick google search brings up What's Best Forum as the top entry :)

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Thanks, Jadis.

I wasn't sure because it wasn't the same cover as the one you posted. I was late to this thread, so I probably missed them already even if there were any available. A quick google search brings up What's Best Forum as the top entry :)

Cool. :)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing