What were your first "audiophile" speakers and when?

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
One of my earliest encounters with "high end" speakers and equipment was also in a Korvette's department store in Watchung, New Jersey, in the mid-1960s when I was a young teenager. My parents would shop and I would hang around the color TVs and then wander over into the "high-end" audio room. They had all the famous brands like AR and KLH.

My first audio purchase after I started my first job was also from Korvette's in early 1968.. I purchased a Fisher 450T receiver with a wired remote to change stations.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
My first pair was a demo pair of Celestion SL6si's. Stunningly good speakers for $600. They have a magic to them i still appreciate, years after trading them in many, many years ago.

After that, i came 'this close' to buying a second hand pair of Apogee Stages...just could not make the math work at the time...but they would have last me a VERY long time had i done so. Instead i waited several more years...nearly 10...and went with a pair of SF Guarneris...then onto SF Strads and now to Wilson X1s...a 20 year journey and counting.

puroagave

Member Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
the magnepan IIc is what id call my first 'high end' speaker purchased new around '86. @lloydelee21: at some point i've owned the sl6, sl600, sl600si and sl700 - all fabulous.

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
My first high end purchase was when I mated a pair of Dahlquist DQ-10's with a GAS Ampzilla amp and Nakamichi 610 pre-amp. I lived with those three keys pieces for some time surrounded by various sources.

Jim

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
@lloydelee21: at some point i've owned the sl6, sl600, sl600si and sl700 - all fabulous.

wow...you are a real Celestion fan! Me as well! I looked super hard at the 600 and 700...really liked both. I also wish i could hear the Celestion SL600 with those Star Wars-looking dipole stereo subs...how cool were they?

Interestingly...the reason i was so interested in the Apogee Stages is because they provided me with similar magic as those Celestions. In truth, i realized while typing...if i had bought them, i probabably would NOT have bought the SF Guarneris nor possibly even the Strads given the wallop the Stages could provide when properly amp'd particularly with a great sub.

That is the great thing about buying great equipment...it really can last.

mauidan

Member Sponsor
Aug 2, 2010
Pukalani, HI
P.S.: I thought all my speakers were "high end," even if they really weren't. They were what I thought were the best I could afford at the time of any given purchase, given my knowledge of what was available and how different models sounded to me at the time. In order, starting in around 1965, I owned AR-4x, Rectilinear XI, Large Advent (stacked + Microstatic tweeters), DCM Time Windows, Snell Type A Improved, Thiel CS 3 (oops--too bright), B&W 801 Matrix Series 2, Carver Amazing Platinum Mark IV, Cello Strads, Legacy Audio Whispers, Harbeth M40, Gradient 1.3, Gradient 1.5, Harbeth M40.1, Sanders 10C, Gradient Active Revolution, and Stirling Broadcast LS3/6.

Along the way, I also got into vintage speakers and now own or have recently owned, Rectilinear III, AR-3a (three pairs), AR-5 (two pairs), AR-2ax, AR-303a, and AR-4x (back to the beginning again, for my office--what I'm listening to right now), KLH-12, EPI 100, Human 81.

Along my vintage way, I also came across a decent pair of the marvelous original Spendor SP1/2, which are VERY hard to come by these days. But, don't fret, the similar-in-design Stirling LS3/6 is yet better, current, and easily available for not too much money. Great speakers and a great bargain.

Tom,

Interesting collection of speakers.

Surprised you never owned Quads.

I also got a pair of Gradient 1.5s based on REG's rave review....big mistake.

Good luck with the Revolutions.

Dan

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
My first hi-end speakers for lack of a better expression were Aerial Acoustic 10T's. I owned them from 1994-2009. From there it was Wilson w/p 8's for a year an a half followed by Wilson X-2.2's

Ronm1

Member Sponsor
Feb 21, 2011
wtOMitMutb NH
AR4 '68, 2ax '69, 3a '70.

katylied

Sep 7, 2011
Torino (Turin) - Italy
My first speakers were the classic Rogers LS3/5A in 1982 (11 ohm version, 25 watt of speech and music was wrote on the back). Too bad I've traded for a Grado Signature 8M (that was sold very quickly becuse didn't like it!).

JonFo

Jun 11, 2010
Big Canoe, GA
www.jonathanfoulkes.com
My first, and I still have them (but as rears) audiophile speakers are the realization of my dream of owning Electrostats, realized in the spring of '93 with the purchase of a pair of MartinLogan Sequel II's.

After 20 years, they still perform great!

Coupled with my highly customized Monolith IIIs and a custom center channel, I have been in Xstatic heaven ever since ;)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing