What were your first "audiophile" speakers and when?

Steve Bruzonsky

May 15, 2010
What were your first "audiophile" speakers and when?

Mine were the Infinity 2000 II, purchased in 1974 from LaBelle’s, Minneaolis for $700.

http://www.davidsaudio.com/Infinity_2000II.pdf

They had a really neat Walsh inverted dome tweeter. They could play loud. I used audiophile speaker cable then, too, "Monster Cable", a thick guage speaker cable. Back then didn't cost much.

They got me through law school 1975 – 1978.

Sold them finally 1991 and went “down” to Spica TC-60s (five) with
two Vandersteen 2Wq subwoofers.

In 19996 started home theater journey with new dedicated theater room, Aerial speakers, etc.

vinylphilemag

WBF Founding Member
Apr 30, 2010
Kelowna, BC
www.vinylphilemag.com
Interesting question! Mine were undoubtedly the Spendor SP 1. I can't recall exactly when I got them, it must've been about 25 years ago. When they were stolent I (eventually) replaced them with the latest version, the SP 1/2E, which I replaced only about 18 months ago with my MartinLogan Spires.

Ron Party

WBF Founding Member
Apr 30, 2010
Oakland, CA

Steve, since you phrased the question with quotation marks, I gotta ask: what do you mean by the term "audiophile" speakers?

Old Listener

Jul 18, 2010
SF Bay area
naturelover.smugmug.com
It depends on your criteria for "audiophile" speakers.

~1968 ~1970 ~1988 ~1997-8
AR-4X --> KLH model 5 --> Thiel CS2 --> Waveform Mach 17

By my standards, they were all good sounding speakers for their time and my money.

Bill

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Dahlquist DQ10s mirror imaged at that point.

Kal Rubinson

May 4, 2010
NYC
www.stereophile.com
In 19996 started home theater journey with new dedicated theater room, Aerial speakers, etc.
When was that?

I built speakers from the beginning but I would say that my first "audiophile" set was a pair of home-built Altec A7-500s in about 1964.

Kal

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
It would be a pair of Altec Lansing Valencias in about 1970 or so.

P

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
Walnut Shihanian Obelisks purchased May 24, 1988 from Golden Stereo. Still own 'em, use 'em (in my office system) and love 'em. One of the great bargains in high end audio.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Walnut Shihanian Obelisks purchased May 24, 1988 from Golden Stereo. Still own 'em, use 'em (in my office system) and love 'em. One of the great bargains in high end audio.

Dick Shananian is one of the good guys in the industry and an encylopedia of knowlege about the history of audio. Had wanted to interview him several years ago but never worked out.

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Infinity RS-3B. Bought brand new and had to 'indent order' them without auditioning, in 1986. That was the 'tough' audio situation then in the P.I. We read about gears in mags, and then we order them 5,000 miles away.

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Celestion Ditton 66's in the late 70's/early 80's, can't quite remember.

John

audioguy

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Near Atlanta, GA but not too near!
Klipsch Cornwalls in 1974; Fuseliers; Apogee Duettas which I owned for about 6 weeks before I heard the Divas; Apogee Divas; B&W 801 (yuck); Theil (don't remember the model number); Wilson Watt Puppies; Dunlavy SC-VI's; then V's; then VI's again; then IV's; now Seaton Catalysts. Also somewhere in there I owned some Tympani IV - D's and Dahlquists DQ-10's!!

I'm sure I left out a few!!

rblnr

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ
Early 80s: Phase Research Little Ds. Ribbon tweeter/mid, time-phased, transmission/'compression' line large bookshelf. Great speakers. Designed by Phil Clements who later founded Clements Audio. I believe he's responsible too for the H-Pas bass loading scheme Atlantic Tech. speakers are using now which sounds like an evolution of his compression-line loading system.

wineslob

Aug 5, 2010
I always made my own speakers until a pair of Apogee Duetta II's showed up on Fleabay (2005) cheap. I'm still "in love" with them........

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Magnepan MG 1 improved were my first a'phile speakers. I bought them new from Audio Dimensions in 1980. Speaking of a Co. that went out of biz, this reminds me of what's apparently happening today with Sound By Singer in NY.
Audio Dimensions were pretty amazing for their time, BUT like today and SBS they didn't seem to be able to adapt to the current economic conditions that they faced at the time. The public couldn't see paying the prices back then for speakers like the Hill Plasmatronic, that they were pushing at, if my memory serves me ..$20K!( which in 80's prices was akin to two arms and legs)!! Personally, I think the same mistakes that were made by the hi-end industry in those days are being repeated again today, resulting in store closures etc.

Last edited:

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
Grew up in a home with my dad's pride and joy, a Fisher 500T receiver and a pair of JBL100's. Headed off to college in 1969 with a pair of Dynaco A25s and an AR integrated amp that I paid for by working my ass off as a cabana boy at the Atlantic Beach Hotel on Long Island ("Yes Mrs. Lobell, I'll make sure the coffee is hot and the Danish is brown". Oy, was she a pain in the butt). Upgraded to the original Advents in 1971 and played Elton John's "Take me to the Pilot" on them until my ears bled. But the real "eureka" moment came when I heard the Magneplanar 1-U loudspeaker at Paul Heath Audio in Rochester NY in 1972. I managed to talk Paul into a part time job and worked for equipment only. By 1973 I had bought the Tympani Maggie 1U speakers, an ARC SP-3 pre-amp and a pair of D79 amps all on accommodation. Thought I died and went to audio heaven. Wonderful music. Wonderful drugs. Wonderful memories, even though as the saying goes, if you remember the 70's, you weren't there!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing