sophia or parsifal?

puroagave

Member Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
I've got an itch to acquire another set of speakers. the requirements are box-type floor stander that will reach at least 30hz in room and needs to be a realtively 'kind' load for tubes and ~6-7k used. i narrowed it down to ser 1 or 2 wilson sophias or verity audio parsifals (orig and encores). Ive heard them both in different setings driven by tubes and was quite impressed with both. the runner ups were the nola ko, vandersteen quatro and vsa unifield 3

I think some of you have owned one or the other or both and feedback would be appreciated.

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
I owned parsifals - quite a musical speaker. However, I ended up replacing them with Avalon eidolon visions, which I liked better. I believe they are 88db. The Eidolon Visions sometimes show up in the $9K range (which I what I bought ans sold mine for). I screaming bargain if you ask me. I would put them on the sortlist if your tubes are up to driving them.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
I never compared the two. The Sophia is easy to drive and quite neutral sounding. It also has a good WAF

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
What amps do you plan on using Rob?

puroagave

Member Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
ive got my sights on the ARC ref 75. i have a rogue 90 w/ kt-120s and an airtight atm-211 (on loan).

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
My neighbor has got the 211s. They pack a lot more punch than their numbers would suggest.

Actually I was just curious. Both speakers are very good albeit I have never heard them in the same system. The Parsifal is one of my favorite small floorstanders. My impression however is that they need more damping than the Sophias whose bass remains more focused with less power.

I've been quite satisfied with my Unifield 3s for about 4 years now. They've been left with the task of keeping me sane while my room is being fixed. Best match for me so far are the KR VA910 (KT-120) and Valvet A3Cr Mk2s. They did benefit from aftermarket stands from SolidTech both sonically and visually.

puroagave

Member Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
thanks jack. i like the 211 a lot, i have them on my lowly harbeth shl-5 the marriage is sublime.

Albert is an hour drive from me we'll hook up after RMAF and i'll be able to hear several VSA models at the same place.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Say hi to the guy for me Rob and have a great time at RMAF. I wish I could be there for the show but more so forWBF meet up.

I can imagine how great the 211s would be with the 5's radial mids. Sublime is a great word to use.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Ah. Must be getting punchy. It's past my bedtime! :D

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
When you are at RAMF you should definitely check out the Acoustic Zen Crescendos. I don't know how much they are on the used market, but Robert Lee will probably sell you the show pair for around $11k. He usually powers them with Triode mono tube amps, a couple of different models either 8W or 30W I believe, Myles would know more about that (check his post in the RAMF folder). IMHO they are better than either the Sophias or the Parsifals, but of course it's a matter of taste.

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
Rob - I have not owned any of your options, just dealer/show experience, so my ranking would be Alon, Parsifal and Wilson. the 211 is magical by the way... good luck!

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com
ive got my sights on the ARC ref 75. i have a rogue 90 w/ kt-120s and an airtight atm-211 (on loan).
I am using Sophia's with a ref 75 and Sp-20 in the store and it is a wonderful combo. It plays loud as well

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
I am using Sophia's with a ref 75 and Sp-20 in the store and it is a wonderful combo. It plays loud as well

The Ref. 75 makes a lot of speakers sound good :)

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Replying to an old thread, but Verity, Avalons and Vandersteens are my favorite box speakers, in that order, and I rate them far above the Wilson's I heard. Just my preference. Love the midrange and the easy set up of verity's, never heard them boom, and the Vandy's can be tuned to the room as well. Avalons are great when set up correctly but I have also heard them sounding awful.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing