My (SMT) room

Marcus

Member Sponsor
Oct 5, 2012
Very nice integration of your treatments. So often I see rooms where there is so much treatment a room becomes something only an audiophile could enjoy. You've managed something many of us only fantasize about, doing our listening in the same space we "live" in and having it sound good too!
Thank you Bobvin. Yes, integration was one of imperatives and even my wife is impressed.

flyer

VIP/Donor
Dec 16, 2012
Belgium
Hello Marcus,

Your room was an inspiration to mine before i started!! That says a lot about it I guess.

Fully agree with the comments on its beauty of integration and even high-WAF...

Between your and my room, there is a lot of difference of course but tastes and colors are not to discussed about :D. My room serves a different purpose as well (demo room for treatment and equipment) but it is true the SMT treatment has a high integration factor in almost any room I would guess, even the most zen-like.
I have a picture of such integration but will ask the guy first if he agrees I have the picture of his room posted here...

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com
Thank you Bobvin. Yes, integration was one of imperatives and even my wife is impressed.

SMT fits nicely with many contemporary room aesthetics, a little harder to shoehorn into others. And I find it interesting in Europe, with so much history, so many apartments/flats/homes enjoy such a modern gestalt. While we're hoping to integrate some aspects of our 'lodge' look and feel into the downstairs remodel, I think it is going to end up with a somewhat more modern look.

Marcus

Member Sponsor
Oct 5, 2012
Hello Marcus,

Your room was an inspiration to mine before i started!! That says a lot about it I guess.
Wow, thank you flyer. Glad to hear that and a great honor.

Pierre

Jun 18, 2012
Denmark
Looks Great!

The 2 Transparent Wings on the sides, how will you describe what they do?

I´m thinking about order 2 myself and place them as you :)

Marcus

Member Sponsor
Oct 5, 2012
Looks Great!

Thank you Pierre. Transparent Wings on first reflection points do have noticeable positive effect on soundstage (more stable and clearer) and focus. But they're even more efficient behind the listening position (Matts recommendation) but such positioning in my (living) room is unfortunately not possible on the long term. If you decide to buy them, take as large as possible model with wheels. Hope that helps.

Jazzhead

VIP/Donor
Aug 26, 2012
I have 3 Acrylic Wings , one behind each speaker and a central one behind the rack . Helps well in controlling stage depth vs mid bass energy , depending on angle and provides higher resolution . Think of them as a focusing lens . Would luv to try one behind my listening chair .

dcc

VIP/Donor
Nov 4, 2012
Continental Europe -
I have 7 SMT S wings (tall models in acrylic): one in each corner, one at the first reflection point on the left (there is no reflection point on the right due to an opening to the dining room) and two behind my listening chair. This is the best acoustic treatment I am aware of.

caesar

May 30, 2010
Looks Great!

Hi Pierre,
As with good sex or money, more of these is better than less. 2 will definitely make an outstanding upgrade, as others describe, but 4, 6, 8, .... will improve things even more. And as you add more of these wonders, the sound will approach what was captured by the microphones in the original venue, and that original venue will "diplace" your room.

Also, for what it's worth, the word on the street is that the wooden wings work better than the acrylic ones. But obviously for home aesthetic reasons they are not always an option.

Good Luck

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
Hi Pierre,
As with good sex or money, more of these is better than less. 2 will definitely make an outstanding upgrade, as others describe, but 4, 6, 8, .... will improve things even more. And as you add more of these wonders, the sound will approach what was captured by the microphones in the original venue, and that original venue will "diplace" your room.

Also, for what it's worth, the word on the street is that the wooden wings work better than the acrylic ones. But obviously for home aesthetic reasons they are not always an option.

Good Luck
Caesar, are you using SMT with your MBL's ? If yes, what and where ?

caesar

May 30, 2010
Caesar, are you using SMT with your MBL's ? If yes, what and where ?

Not yet, but a friend of mine has several. He uses 2 behind each speaker and 2 on each side in first reflection points. It's no wonder why MBL uses this at shows (in the US, not sure about elsewhere) as the effects are very impressive: in audiophile-speak, every audiophile vocabulary term is improved exponentially. The decay of notes is as perfect as I have ever heard. And from an MBL experience point of view, with SMT wings one gets a 3 dimensional sound stage with much better illusion of instruments hanging in space. It's almost like MBL becomes a whole new speaker.

An analogy for the upgrade would be like driving a finely-tuned sportscar through a pot-holed city street vs. driving it on a brand new road / race track.

This is a MUST have upgrade, if you can swing it.

Last edited:

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
Looks like i need to call Sweden for some Scandinavian prices ! Thank you Caesar.

caesar

May 30, 2010
Looks like i need to call Sweden for some Scandinavian prices ! Thank you Caesar.

Good Luck with that. SMT is very familiar with MBL - I think they have done dozens of rooms, so they will be make proper recommendations. And, of course, with these things one can go step-wise, as your budget allows.

Yet whatever the final price, considering the value you get for the money, which is an ability to ***melt away your walls and carve out the ambient space of the original recording in your own room*** like no other component or tweak can do, the pricing of SMT is a hell of bargain. Please keep us posted!

timztunz

Apr 23, 2018
Texas
A friend suggested I look at SMT and in doing so came across your system Marcus. Are you still happy with everything?

Marcus

Member Sponsor
Oct 5, 2012
Absolutely and wouldn’t change anything if I had to do it again. Actually, I’m so satisfied with the SMT, I’ll soon trust them another project. I’m building a vacation Chalet in the mountains with a dedicated listening room in the basemet. Matts already gave me some good advices and great ideas...

Reactions: christoph

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Marcus, I'm seriously thinking of an acoustics treatments project to eek out even better sound than I'm currently getting. Other than streaming, I'm not looking at any more gear upgrades.

I've got a shortlist of GIK, Tube Traps, Accustica Applicata...and SMT.

However, I'm struggling a bit w making sense of the SMT website. As w so many companies in this field, almost too much choice, but too little info to base decisions on, and slightly poor translation into English.

FWIW, my space is 5.5m wide, 11.5-14.5m deep, attic/loft shaped, so midline max apex ht 3m, down to 1.3m at side walls.

Spkrs 2.7m from front walls, 4.5m to seat, 4-7m behind seat.

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
Sir you need to update this thread with your latest purchases, especially the speakers.

Reactions: hogen

Marcus

Member Sponsor
Oct 5, 2012
Sir you need to update this thread with your latest purchases, especially the speakers.
Thanks Jeffrey for reminding me. A lot has changed since 2013, only Finite Elemente MR racks remained untouched.

If my memory serves me well, the first thing I changed was Kuzma XL drive system from 4 AC motors to one DC and upgraded Magnum Dynalab MD-108T to Signature. Then I sold Karan KAM 2000 monos and bought conrad-johnson ART monos and invested in Tripoint Troy Elite NG and Emperor grounding cables. Soon after that, the standard 11 inch Kuzma 4Point made a place for 14 inch ruby bearings version and all Cardas Clear rev1 were substituted for the Clear Beyond. Then the Conrad-Johnson GAT S2 left its place for the Zanden 3000 Mk2.

A decision to sell Avalon Time was quite hard but Time simply became the weakest link and a pair of used Isis was my only wish. Unfortunately I wasn’t successful in getting a pair for almost two years, so had to find a substitute and chose AlsyVox Botticelli.

Since then, my Benz LP-S became quite old and was in need for retipping. Instead of that, I decided to buy Kuzma’s flagship CAR 60. I didn’t plan to change my most beloved phono stage Zanden 1200 Mk3 anytime soon but when I got an enthusiastic feedback from my friend, I could not resist and bought the Signature.

Future Plan is AlsyVox Botticelli external crossovers and new power amps (conrad-johnson ART monos are already for sale if anybody's interested...).

076C1034-231B-46A4-A7DA-8C5A40E968A2.jpeg AD0A7331-AC47-40EC-AE90-4163C9319CDD.jpeg

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing