Hello from the Pacific Northwest

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
Although lacking in any innate musical talent, I have appreciated the talent in others for as long as I can remember. I bought my first LP, "Elton John's Greatest Hits" when I was 11 years old and have been collecting records ever since. I enjoy all types of music but jazz is my passion.

With respect to equipment, my philosophy is to "buy and hold". If you buy the best, it only hurts once. I am fortunate to have a small, dedicated listening room and a very understanding spouse. As she tells her friends "I never have to worry that he's out at some bar or carrying on with another woman. I always know where to find him." My current system reflects a heartfelt appreciation for some of the smaller manufacturers in our hobby.

Ironically, it was the purchase of a new CD player, the wonderful SimMoon Andromeda, that rekindled my love affair with vinyl. When my Wadia 6 CD player finally gave up the ghost 3 years ago, I had been listening primarily to CDs. After purchasing the Andromeda as my 'final CD player', It was shocking to hear how better digital sounded when compared to my trusty Linn Sondek. I decided to pursue a new analog path. After auditioning a number of other fine turntables, I got to know Galibier's Thom Mackris and purchased a Stelvio as my 'last turntable'. That purchase in conjunction with the TriPlanar tonearm and Dynavector XV1-S cartridge transformed my listening experience by re-immersion in my vinyl collection. Thom has been been a terrific 'vinyl mentor'; incredibly giving of his time and expertise. Through Galibier, I have met a number of like-minded music lovers, including Joel Durand, a composer at the University of Washington. Joel is one of many of the wonderful audiophiles I have met in the Seattle area where I am blessed with many friendships that have resulted from our listening sessions. Music is even more meaningful when shared with friends.

Recently, I added Joel's magnificent Talea tonearm resulting in yet another leap in analog performance. Mounting the Dynavector on the Talea freed up the Triplanar for a dedicated mono cartridge. Currently I am using a Miyajima Premium BE Mono cartridge on the TriPlanar. If you are interested in pre 1970 recordings and haven't heard a well recorded mono record with a good mono cartridge, you owe it to yourself an audition. I currently own ~150 mono jazz records and an equal number of classical LPs. Now they don't all sound great (especially if recorded prior to the early 1950's), but the tonal richness and lack of stereo artificiality are quite seductive to these ears.

One equipment plug: if you have a sizable vinyl collection, investing in a quality record cleaning machine is a must. I consider my Loricraft as indispensable as any other major component. I use the Audio Intelligent fluids. Clean records sound significantly better and given the prices of collectible vinyl, I think it's a no brainer. I use DiscWasher inner sleeves and thick outer sleeves for record storage.

My speakers are Daedalus Ulysses. Daedalus had not been on my radar until I heard them at 2008 RMAF. After talking with Lou Hinkley, I auditioned at his workshop and arranged an in-home audition. The sound was so natural and dynamic; so life-like...I was smitten. Best of all, Lou is delightful and like Thom, one of the great people in our hobby. Lou continuously makes incremental, but significant upgrades to his speakers and always providing excellent value. I have found that the Einstein Light-In-Dark amplifier has great synergy with the Ulysses. Currently I am using Amperex Bugle Boys and hope to try either Siemens or Telefunken CCa's in the future.

I am currently awaiting the addition of Experience Music Preamplification. After auditioning a number of line and phono stages, I fell hard for Jeffrey Jackson's equipment. Jeffrey is a true music aficionado. During the audition and purchasing process, our conversations invariably focus on music, rather than the equipment. He customizes his designs to tailor to the individual's tastes. Since this is my 'end of life' preamplication, I went all out; mercury rectification, separate power supplies, and LCR phono stage. (I did pass on the uber-expensive Western Electric tubes.) How does it sound? Well, when we had the equipment for audition my spouse was asking ME "What time are WE going to listen?"

The equipment sits on two EquaRacks which are no longer manufactured. They were a pain in the rear to set up, but the improvement with proper isolation and vibration control is not subtle.

In the future, I'll be addressing the crummy power issues and doing minor tweaks, but for the most part, I consider myself 'done' with major equipment purchases. I am very happy with what I am hearing.

Last edited:

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
Nobody is ever DONE! (Unless you are aware of some 12 Step Program for Audioholics :D)

Amen Brother! You didn't see my hands shaking as I typed that! :)

mullard88

Jun 5, 2010
Hi jazdoc,

I thoroughly enjoyed reading your introduction. Thanks for writing about your recent acquisitions and their designers.

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
Mullard88 --- Thanks for taking the time to read it! Do you live in the area?

mullard88

Jun 5, 2010
Hi jazdoc,

I used to live in Vancouver, B.C.. Moved to the Philippines in 1994. I visit my family and friends in Vancouver once or twice a year.

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
Well if you're ever in Seattle, please look me up. We have a great audio community in these parts.

mullard88

Jun 5, 2010
Hi Jazdoc,

That's just a short drive from Vancouver. Thank you for the invitation. I will look you up when I visit Seattle. And allow me to reciprocate with an invitation to look me up when you visit the Philippines.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing