Dma-300rs

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Anyone know if the DMA-300RS amp is out yet or when we can expect them?

It's out; dealers are being sent their units; orders have been accepted as of early March.

StefanT

Mar 28, 2014
It's out; dealers are being sent their units; orders have been accepted as of early March.

ack, thanks for the info!

It will be interesting to hear feedback on how it sounds and how it compares to the DMA-400RS mono's.

Mobiusman

May 24, 2010
Jersey Shore- waterside
I finally decided that as good as the DMA 260 is, it will never be a RS, which is better in every way. Instead of buying the DMA 400 RS's, I bought a DMA 300 RS and a DMC 30 SV, which people seem to be drooling about, but I have never heard. Of course this also means an improvement in speaker wire from Matrix ML 90 to Oracle HD90 Rev 2 bi-wire with banana's. As the price increment for the improvement settles, I must admit that I have quite a bit of anticipatory excitement.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
How is 300 RS different from DMA 360?

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
I finally decided that as good as the DMA 260 is, it will never be a RS, which is better in every way. Instead of buying the DMA 400 RS's, I bought a DMA 300 RS and a DMC 30 SV, which people seem to be drooling about, but I have never heard. Of course this also means an improvement in speaker wire from Matrix ML 90 to Oracle HD90 Rev 2 bi-wire with banana's. As the price increment for the improvement settles, I must admit that I have quite a bit of anticipatory excitement.

Congratulations; they are sensational products and probably a very significant step up. Would be interesting to see what you think about it all and especially of the cables and that 2C3D thing, which I totally despise.

dan31

Jul 22, 2010
SF Bay
I'm anxious to get your take on the 300 RS and 30SV. I have been so happy with my 260 and have no urge to upgrade to S2 for the 260. I'm saving up for a new turntable /arm and phono pre. I'm excited for your new gear Russ!

Dan

Mobiusman

May 24, 2010
Jersey Shore- waterside
I too am very excited although this change does not come inexpensively. I am particularly excited about the preamp. I should have both by the end of the month. I will also be happy to get rid of the SL Matrix 90, which is just not right.

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
I'll get you salivating... I heard the 300RS/30SV driving the Q1, to full orchestral swing, and it was really staggering, save for the slight tweeter coloration that I really don't like in that speaker. Then another time driving the Q3 or Q5 (can't recall), and the sense of presence/you are there was uncanny. A month will go by quickly. And yes, the SL cables are not as good a cable, and unnecessarily expensive for what they are.

Reactions: swatello

Mobiusman

May 24, 2010
Jersey Shore- waterside
I will keep you posted. BTW also bought about a month ago a VPI Prime, SDS (which truly made a huge difference) a Benz Micro LPS and Pass Phono Preamp. They sit on a Vibraplane and are amazing. I love the adjustable VTA on the fly. The 3D printed tonearm is wonderful.

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Yes I read about your VPI - very nice. So here's a nice tweak you can also easily make, which I just implemented. Call up MusicDirect and order the "HRX pulley upgrade", which is the pulley they also use in the Avenger, and two more belts (the HRX pulley is not tapered like the one you have). This "upgrade" if you will does require that you have an SDS, which you do, so you are good (the groove depth is larger in it, thus speed is slightly different with what you have). The result is much more accurate speed (and I have measured it). Lead time, however, is about 6-8 weeks.

There are a couple of reasons why this tweak works, and one of them is that the pulley you have fits loosely on the motor shaft and is secured via three set screws - if you don't get it right, the pulley wobbles ever so slightly. The HRX pulley is manufactured to much tighter tolerances and you have to shove it down hard on the shaft (then secure it with its own two opposing set screws, but it doesn't matter if you don't, the fit is that tight). The other reason you get better speed accuracy is because of lower micro-flexing amongst all three belts vs one. The downside, one may argue, is more noise from the motor to the platter, but I am not hearing any. A further upgrade may be a Kapton belt (45 or 46 inches circumference), but I have yet to try it, and it does require that the HRX pulley be fitted with some sort of "guide" on the bottom (like a rubber band??) to make sure the belt doesn't fall off due to gravity.

Last edited:

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Do you guys find that the Speed/Slam factors of the Spectral stand out more with the TT than they do with digital?

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
I am not sure how to best answer that but there is more drama with analog, so perhaps the answer is yes, in my case.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Bonzo -
you just need to buy my 360s and your quest will be over once and for all!:p

They are on my top two shortlist with ypsilon hybrids. Thing is to figure it out needs time

Mobiusman

May 24, 2010
Jersey Shore- waterside
Unfortunately just found out that my amp will take 14 weeks to arrive, but the preamp will arrive in the first week of February. Oh well. Time to get the new speaker wire broken in! Hopefully after this I will take a rest on new acquisitions.

dan31

Jul 22, 2010
SF Bay
Happy for you Russ!! I'm looking forward to your impressions.

I'm still making due with my DMA260.

Mobiusman

May 24, 2010
Jersey Shore- waterside
Happy for you Russ!! I'm looking forward to your impressions.

I'm still making due with my DMA260.

Dan,

I love it already despite the significant cost difference since I got only $4500 for the 260, but it is worth it and probably will get better in several days. Don't compare them if you are not ready to buy!!!

I just started a new thread about the 260 compared to the 300RS and the SDR 4000SL compared to the SDR 4000 SV-The SV Difference---which I think you might find thought provoking.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing