HRS MXR Double Wide Audio Stand

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Frank, on my ARC tube amp...which also uses 6550's, IF I leave the tube cage on and have the amp on for more than an hour, I have noticed that the amp tends to misbehave...the tubes get a little noisy. I was told by my tech that it is best to have the 6550's get as much ventilation as possible. I think ARC runs these tubes fairly hot and this can quickly lead to over-heating problems. Even though you are using the tube in the preamp stage, I suspect the 6550's are giving off a lot of heat....NOT a good thing in a tight enclosed space. OTOH, as rsorren1 stated, best to work with your dealer, as this could well be a faulty unit.

Frank750

VIP/Donor
Jul 8, 2011
Frank, I know you started this thread to share and discuss your new rack, which is gorgeous, btw. But now that you are discussing your new ARC REF gear, I'm very curious to learn how you think the pre and phono compare to your old Pass XP30 and XP25. Once you sort our the issues with the ARC gear, and have come to some conclusions about your new gear, could you comment about the sonics relative to your former Pass equipment?

Peter, they are not even close, at least when playing vinyl. I didn't really have much of a chance to listen to digital. The 2 Ref 10 pieces together are in another world. Every facet of playback. And I haven't heard the ARC with my XS300s as they're back at Pass for repair. Right now I'm listening to a CD through an XP20 and XA100.5s. Sounds terrific but like night and day compared to what I was hearing from the ARC. I could start listing where ARC bests the Pass units but it truly is everything and by a wide margin. Though, as I've said before, they should at double the price.

That said, I don't know if I'm ready to go through these problems with ARC again. I've had a lot of issues in the past and I'm certainly off to a bad start again.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing