Another playback software to argue over

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
You can only get so far arguing about test procedures. Bias is only one aspect of testing . By far not the most important one. We realize it is the crown it is the crown jewel of the objectivist camp. Brand name recognition is a good thing. Experience is a good thing. We don't have to start from scratch every time evaluate a product.

Julf

Nov 27, 2011
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Brand name recognition is a good thing. Experience is a good thing. We don't have to start from scratch every time evaluate a product.

But isn't the logical implication of that that the answer to the question "do all bit-perfect players sound the same" is "no, it depends on the brand label"?

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
Tim-Again I say that expectation bias that leads you to think that what is new that you bought based on cost, brand, reputation, and build quality sounds great either will sound great over the long-term or it won't. Those with decent ears will be honest enough to admit they made a mistake if over time they come to realize the new expensive brand name gizmo with great build quality doesn't sound as good as what it replaced.

I understand that this is your position, and however long it takes you to decide something sounds great, I hope you then enjoy it for many years.

Tim

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
But isn't the logical implication of that that the answer to the question "do all bit-perfect players sound the same" is "no, it depends on the brand label"?
Sounding the same is not the goal of most manufacturers
Forgive me for "fighting your hypothetical"

I so frequently encounter so many qualified claims like "any competently designed... or working within its range... and in our case "all bit perfect players...

For the sake of argument I'll great your premise "all bit perfect players sound the same."Are their brand names I can rely on to make a bit perfect player?Assuming that there are manufacturers who don't.

Julf

Nov 27, 2011
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Sounding the same is not the goal of most manufacturers

In computing terms, I call that a bug, not a feature.

For the sake of argument I'll great your premise "all bit perfect players sound the same."Are their brand names I can rely on to make a bit perfect player?Assuming that there are manufacturers who don't.

I wasn't actually arguing that point. I just picked the "bit perfect" one as being at least somewhat topical. Are there any audiophile features/tweeks/"differences" that, in your view, make no difference, or do you think absolutely everything matters?

Anyway, let's pick something that really isn't going to make a difference - magic crystals, or a plastic insert between your power plug and the wall socket. My point is that according to your logic, you might still hear a difference - depending on the brand and manufacturer of the crystals or insert.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
"In computing terms, I call that a bug, not a feature."

Most would call that innovation or progress: The notion that I can do it better.

"I wasn't actually arguing that point. I just picked the "bit perfect" one as being at least somewhat topical. Are there any audiophile features/tweeks/"differences" that, in your view, make no difference, or do you think absolutely everything matters? "
It does not matter because i granted your premise.
That is too comprehensive a question to answer here. I will venture that over my audio journey things that i thought did not matter, turned out to make a difference.

"Anyway, let's pick something that really isn't going to make a difference - magic crystals, or a plastic insert between your power plug and the wall socket. My point is that according to your logic, you might still hear a difference - depending on the brand and manufacturer of the crystals or insert."

"My logic?"
For any claim to be credible it has to be effective. Companies that have a history of doing just that deserve consideration when they claim they have perfected extraordinary products. Or improved on existing ones.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing