Missing In Action (MIA) LP's

kach22i

WBF Founding Member
Apr 21, 2010
Ann Arbor, Michigan
www.kachadoorian.com
Name the LP's you have somehow lost over the years.

You are not sure if somebody stole them or you are sure and still angry 30 years later, you lost them moving, you loaned them out but forgot to who and when, it's misfiled or hiding, taken by mischievous ghosts, someone broke it and hid it from you, you just forgot about it, it's stashed in storage somewhere molting away, you gave up and just bought another copy, forgotten but you have a nagging feeling something is missing.

ELP: Lucky Man................stolen over 30 years ago, and replaced just two years ago.

There are others, this one cut to the bone though.

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Steppenwolf Live - I have a feeling one of my buddies took it when we were at a party.

The Beatles - The Beatles (White Album) - Had a pressing on white vinyl. My brother came to me sheepishly one afternoon and said he dropped it, taking a 1" chunk out of it. I replaced it years later, but I'm still in mourning over it.

John Lennon (Plastic Ono Band) - Live Peace in Toronto. Have no idea where it went to and scratched my head for several years. Found a sealed copy about 5 years later, so that turned out ok.

John

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Zerra One

Blue in Heaven

Back in the day these bands were solid contenders to be as big as U2 or Depeche Mode. These bands unfortunately disbanded way too early but still enjoy some cult status.

Ocean56

Aug 26, 2010
Michigan
The only one I can think of is 'Jesus Christ Superstar', back in the 1970s (my teenage years). I've never replaced it.

DonH50

Member Sponsor & WBF Technical Expert
Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO
Here's one, not missing, but even worse... When I was in college I was making decent money (worked my way through) working several jobs, including some time as a repair tech and audio consultant at a couple of high-end audio stores. We got a few extra copies of the first Sheffield direct-to-disc Amanda McBroom/Lincoln Mayorga LP (Growing Up in Hollywood Town, I think) album. I had already bought one, and had a friend who was really struggling financially but liked good sound, so I gave him my copy. (I had helped him out and he always paid me back, sometimes with a little extra; this was a gift.) We kept in touch on and off over the years, and a few years ago he emailed me to let me know he had never opened that disc but kept it as a reminder, but recently sold it on eBay for ~$600 to help put his kid through college. Swine didn't even offer me a cut... :p - Don

p.s. I can't count the number of LPs and CDs I have misplaced or lost over the years. What is even more embarrassing are the number of times I've seen a CD in the store and had to add it to my collection, only to come home and file it next to the copy I already had. :eek:

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
What is even more embarrassing are the number of times I've seen a CD in the store and had to add it to my collection, only to come home and file it next to the copy I already had. :eek:

Oh boy.....am I with you on that score! People always ask me, "Why do you need 3 copies of XXX?". I always sheepishly reply with a fib " Well, they're different pressings!". LOL!

John

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
Did you replace it with white vinyl? Those are going for $200 - $300 over on ebay.

P

Jay_S

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
San Francisco - East Bay
Vinyl is different. If you like the album, the more copies the better, as long as you have space. CD? You can always give the duplicate to a friend.

Now, as to MIA, I had a stereo U.K. Parlophone Revolver that disappeared. Who took it?

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
The only one I can think of is 'Jesus Christ Superstar', back in the 1970s (my teenage years). I've never replaced it.

A Filipino-American friend from California gifted me with an LP of the original Broadway cast recording because he knew I liked Yvonne Elliman (also a Fil-American). Was there ever an original Movie Soundtrack recording?

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
I stupidly gave away all of my UK pressing Osibisa albums and my UK 1st pressing Led Zep 111 Lp with the wheel...all in Mint condition.
OTOH, I picked up from one of the old girlfriends of Paul M all of her original 1st pressing Beatle albums; all signed by her, when she decided she wanted to clean house:D

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Here's one, not missing, but even worse... When I was in college I was making decent money (worked my way through) working several jobs, including some time as a repair tech and audio consultant at a couple of high-end audio stores. We got a few extra copies of the first Sheffield direct-to-disc Amanda McBroom/Lincoln Mayorga LP (Growing Up in Hollywood Town, I think) album. I had already bought one, and had a friend who was really struggling financially but liked good sound, so I gave him my copy. (I had helped him out and he always paid me back, sometimes with a little extra; this was a gift.) We kept in touch on and off over the years, and a few years ago he emailed me to let me know he had never opened that disc but kept it as a reminder, but recently sold it on eBay for ~$600 to help put his kid through college. Swine didn't even offer me a cut... :p - Don

p.s. I can't count the number of LPs and CDs I have misplaced or lost over the years. What is even more embarrassing are the number of times I've seen a CD in the store and had to add it to my collection, only to come home and file it next to the copy I already had. :eek:

Don:

Pardon me but I think your friend is pulling your leg. I really don't believe he got $600 for the McBroom album, even if the LP was sealed :) It's not that rare to warrant that price.

Take a look at this:

http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_tr...m+sheffield+records&_sacat=See-All-Categories

If so, then the person who bought the LP has more money than sense :)

I closely follow the prices of rare and collectable LPs (and use) on Ebay and frequently purchase LPs thru a few select dealers on Ebay. I've never seen that Sheffield go for that price. Deccas, yes. Rare jazz original pressings, yes. Some rare early EMIs I've seen go for $2600 (of course that makes one wonder if the person will play or frame the LP when they get it). Corollary: You should if desired, be able pick up a copy on Ebay that is practically in mint shape for under $50.

DonH50

Member Sponsor & WBF Technical Expert
Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO
Hey Myles,

I wish, or rather not -- I 'm glad he got what he did, I'm just envious! I looked up the auction at the time (around 2003, I think) and it was right at $600. Amazing. Despite having met Lincoln a few times and being a real fan of the album, I would never pay that much for it (sans winning the lottery and it being the last one on Earth, I suppose).

As for the buyer's lack of sense, well, one of my oldies is "common sense ain't". :)

Thanks for the link, btw. I would like to pick up some early albums, though will probably look for the CDs since I haven't set up my old turntable (and am not sure I will, still cogitating).

All the best - Don

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Not exactly lost them, but sold them at cost or less because I thought I wouldn't be playing them anymore. My biggest mistake and it happened a long long time ago.

1. Nautilus Records - Fleetwood Mac -Rumours

2. Nimbus Records - Earl Klugh's Living Inside Your Love (bought it back not to long ago at many many times the price I sold it for). LOL. Crazy me.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing