Klaudio Record Cleaning Machine Review

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
Does anyone notice any gunk accumulating on their stylus after cleaning with either the AD or KLaudio? It's a bit more with the Atlas that doubles as a groove cleaner compared to other cartridges I've used.

Hi Myles

Yes I have. On the Atlas and Delos. What gives? This does not happen with my Hannl vac RCM.

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com
Yesterday I got a replacement LP for one I had received with a scratch. Put it into the KLaudio. Going it, it was pristine, coming out lots of little gobs on it. I reported same before... Now my experience is decidedly never to clean a record if the water has been sitting for a time. I changed the water, wiped the gobs off with microfiber towel and enzyme cleaner, then back into KLaudio for another round. But I still am getting an occasional little smear of some type of gunk on a formerly clean LP.

I may run a couple of tanks of water through just to see, and drain between uses.

Anyone else notice this? Next time it happens I'll see if I can't get a photo.

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
Hi Bovin

How many minutes so do you have the dry set for?

I generally have it set for 2 minutes, however on some records there are still a few drops of water left on the record. I add another minute drying and spots gone.

Perhaps that is what you are seeing.

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com
Hi Bovin

How many minutes so do you have the dry set for?

I generally have it set for 2 minutes, however on some records there are still a few drops of water left on the record. I add another minute drying and spots gone.

Perhaps that is what you are seeing.

I have good results drying for 2 minutes. The little gobs I see aren't water, or they'd dab right off with a micro-fiber cloth. This is instead some little dabs of some kind of goo, and they are usually smeared on the surface. They seem to clean off OK with some rubbing with microfiber cloth wetted with a little enzyme cleaner.

I have only used absolutely pure water (0 ppm TDS) in this machine, and it has only cleaned 50 or so albums so far. I have refilled it several times, used it to clean a dozen LPs then disconnected power and covered with the supplied cover.

I am considering perhaps filling then emptying with pure water to which I've added a cap of Clorox. But I'll probably check with the mfg before that route, in the event there are any seals or gaskets that might be damaged by chlorine. Or I might use city tap water—here in Oregon City the water is low TDS (about 34 ppm) and chlorinated. Since most city water is not higher than 1.5ppm chlorine it shouldn't have any impact on seals or gaskets. Again, I'll check with mfg first.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
I would call them direct and explain the issue. You can wreck the machine if you fill it too fast, overfill it or put unapproved solvents/cleaners in the tank. I have never experienced any problems with any residue, ect.

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
Bobvin

Try what Rockitman does and dry for the full 4 minutes and see if the drops disappear.

depending on what LP I clean, 2 mins is not enough.

Gotta admit, this KL audio machine is actually taking me longer than my Hannl RCM!!

I do every LP twice as i think it sounds a little cleaner.

Brand new records take longer than the vac RCM as I am generally in a hurry to play them :D

But I can walk away and come back ever 6-7 minutes thou, and it certainly does a better job in reducing/removing the pops and clicks. :cool:

number95

May 14, 2014
Just got my Klaudio. My initial impressions are nothing short of amazing. Started with 3 mins cleaning and 3 mins of drying. For dirty records I found out 5 mins cleaning is better. I see that that are lots of KL users here, so may I ask what is the most recommended cleaning time for new/less dirty records? Is there a tangible difference between say 4 to 5 mins?

beaur

Fleetwood Sound
Oct 12, 2011
Brooklyn
Wish I could get mine back to do some more testing!! Tip for new owners; never lend your to friends, they hold on to them!! :)

When cleaning I usually leave the machine on one setting (3 min) which takes care of most everything. I'll run an LP thru again if it appears to need more cleaning.

Just got my Klaudio. My initial impressions are nothing short of amazing. Started with 3 mins cleaning and 3 mins of drying. For dirty records I found out 5 mins cleaning is better. I see that that are lots of KL users here, so may I ask what is the most recommended cleaning time for new/less dirty records? Is there a tangible difference between say 4 to 5 mins?

number95

May 14, 2014
Wish I could get mine back to do some more testing!! Tip for new owners; never lend your to friends, they hold on to them!! :)

When cleaning I usually leave the machine on one setting (3 min) which takes care of most everything. I'll run an LP thru again if it appears to need more cleaning.

Good idea, thanks!

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com

That's what I do too.... however, I find that if you clean it first, then play it and immediately clean it again, it sounds much cleaner than just cleaning it twice.

awsmone

Apr 6, 2014
Canberra Australia
i put n maximum cleaning it is better

also after ten plays or so reclean

Grooves

Feb 29, 2012
Pacific Northwest
So, a friend brings over his new freshly cleaned, (VPI 16.5), Melody Gardot 45rpm set. Having a new copy myself that was so badly pressed, and having been sent another copy that was pretty much just as bad my friend brings his to compare. His was totally quiet not a noise. So he wanted me to put it in my KLA and hear what it did. Well, it did its usual transparency improvement BUT it clearly added noise to the once totally quiet grooves. I was flabbergasted and felt terrible.
Now, I can't say I've seen this before since most of my Lp's are cleaned first then put in my KLA. The distiller water was only 15 cleanings old. All Lp's are first put through a Loricraft two step process so the water should be clean. I'm still in shock and have to wonder what is going on here?!
Also, I am having an issue with the reservoir window LED's first flickering then burning out. Going on to my third set soon.
Anyome else having this problem?

awsmone

Apr 6, 2014
Canberra Australia
Wow

I was pretty shocked when I read this the first time
Having used it hundreds of times I have never had this issue

But when I reread I wondered two things

Firstly
When you say his was silent is that on your system before you cleaned or his
It's possible his diamond rides in different part of the groove if it was the later and that is more silent
My second thought is there was something he was using in his Vpi or on his record to clean that was rendering it quiet
When you put it through the Klaudio it cleaned it off explaining why it was more transparent and noisier simultaneously

I tend to discount damage as I cannot see how it could damage and make it more transparent

The only other thing is the different chemicals between his Vpi and your bath Solution attracted something onto the record if you previously had used liquid agents to clean your records in last batch u cleaned something might have been in the bath

I would be interested to see what happened if you freshened the bath and cleaned it again

number95

May 14, 2014
So, a friend brings over his new freshly cleaned, (VPI 16.5), Melody Gardot 45rpm set. Having a new copy myself that was so badly pressed, and having been sent another copy that was pretty much just as bad my friend brings his to compare. His was totally quiet not a noise. So he wanted me to put it in my KLA and hear what it did. Well, it did its usual transparency improvement BUT it clearly added noise to the once totally quiet grooves. I was flabbergasted and felt terrible.
Now, I can't say I've seen this before since most of my Lp's are cleaned first then put in my KLA. The distiller water was only 15 cleanings old. All Lp's are first put through a Loricraft two step process so the water should be clean. I'm still in shock and have to wonder what is going on here?!
Also, I am having an issue with the reservoir window LED's first flickering then burning out. Going on to my third set soon.
Anyome else having this problem?

I do not have vast experiences with Klaudio as I recently bought it and so far 100-110 discs cleaned. Only one record, as it was a bit dirty, when I played it after cleaning showed more noise while more transparent. I re cleaned it and played again, no noise left. My guess was after first cleaning some of the dirt remained in grooves in a way creating more noise and after second cleaning Klaudio removed them completely. What is your current selected cleaning and drying time ?

awsmone

Apr 6, 2014
Canberra Australia
I think others have posted that more time is better
I put cleaning on maximum
I am yet to find an occasion where wasn't better but most of my records are decidedly second hand not new I should add
Drying only takes two minutes but I am in Australian summer :)

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
That's what I do too.... however, I find that if you clean it first, then play it and immediately clean it again, it sounds much cleaner than just cleaning it twice.

Gary, this is pretty interesting. Do you think the stylus is dislodging more dirt? Have you inspected and then compared the stylus after the play/first cleaning and the second play/second cleaning? And I wonder if this result would be the same with different stylus shapes?

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
Gary, this is pretty interesting. Do you think the stylus is dislodging more dirt? Have you inspected and then compared the stylus after the play/first cleaning and the second play/second cleaning? And I wonder if this result would be the same with different stylus shapes?

That is what I suspected at first, but then it also happens with brand new LPs. A second clean immediately after playing always removes more noise and increases transparency. May be if Grooves had given the Melody Gardot a second clean after playing, a third play will have resulted in the increased transparency and removed the noise. It can only be conjecture at this point.

I had a stack of the Ito Ema LPs from MA Recordings, and I found that when I cleaned them through the Klaudio, it reduced pops and ticks but no increase in "vinyl rush".

Grooves

Feb 29, 2012
Pacific Northwest
I was hesitant to post my issue since I wasn't able to follow through with solving the mystery. If it had been my Lp I would have tried a reclean on the Loricraft then a replay to see if things improved. Then another trip through the KLA. But because the moment had me in utter shock I didn't even ask.

He told me he'd recleaned his Lp prior to his visit and so my TT was it's next stop. While we don't have similar set-up's we both have Benz cart's with the MR stylus.
I don't know his fluid/s but I know they are differnt than mine. I will ask him and see what he's using.

While I did some A/B comparrisons when I first had my KLA I can't say that I ever noticed a Lp that was made worse, but I also never really noticed a reduction in obvious pops or clicks. I did notice that quiet LP's were seemingly quieter with the the emphasis being on the improvemnet of focus and tranparency. Now that I have had my KLA for a while I don't ever do any before and after listening. I just auto. put every Lp through the KLA after cleaning on the Loricraft. So what ever I hear afterwards I assume is inherient. maybe I will have to do some A/B listening again. But my first inclination is to change the water first since it's so cheap.

So, do most people clean out the water tank by hand after emptying it? If so, what do you use and how? I can get my hand past the threaded opening but boy those threads are sharp and carve me up good.

Like I said, I was hesitant to post anything but if there's "operator error" taking place I want to know. As it is, I have such poor luck with new vinyl that I have grown to be rather sensitive towards anything to do with the subject of noisy or defective vinyl.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing