Klaudio Record Cleaning Machine Review

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
Thanks Tim. Bought it before yours came out:) Anyone try these in an Audiodeske? They look like they were designed to mimic 12 inch records, and not proprietary.

i've owned 3 Audiodeske RCM's over a 5 year period and now use the KLAUDIO.

my opinion is that the 10-inch adapter would not work with the Audiodeske RCM due to the brushing action. the brush strands would 'foul' and 'grab' in the grooves of the 10 inch adapter and would eventually tear the adapter apart or possibly break the nylon/plastic gear mechanism that drives the 4 brushes.

it's not worth the risk to your Audiodeske......IMHO.

the design of the KLAUDIO allows for the 10 inch adapter since friction cleaning is not needed.

curbfeeler

Apr 19, 2012
I've found that brushing the record vigorously with cleaning fluid and following that with Ultrasonic cleaning is most effective. I use Duane's Disc Doctor Miracle Record Cleaner solution and brushes.

Yesterday I played the Decca Phase Four "Quo Vadis" after a cleaning in the Klaudio for four minutes. It exhibited a lot of clicks and one tearing sound near the beginning of side one. After scrubbing with DD solution and running it through the Klaudio again for four minutes it is largely quiet. It was like an improvement to an excellent plus grading from a very good minus. Yes, there are a lot of variables to consider in this example, but the best results I've achieved always involve scrubbing with an effective cleaning solution followed by an energetic ultrasonic treatment.

Ultrasound is essential to my cleaning process, and the Klaudio makes maintenance of previously scrubbed and sonicated discs a breeze.

Stan

curbfeeler

Apr 19, 2012
Protectapeel or Sign Strip

I mean to try PPG Protectapeel or Sign Strip to deep clean records that haven't been improved by treatment in the Audiodesksysteme RCM or the Disc Doctor process. Would someone here know of a source for a quart or a gallon of Protectapeel or Sign Strip?

curbfeeler

Apr 19, 2012
Midwest Sign & Screen Printing Supply Company can get you a gallon of Sign Strip for $49.96. I had my gallon sent to the Seattle warehouse to avoid shipping charges.
www.midwestsign.com
I'll post here when I know how well it works.
Stan
I mean to try PPG Protectapeel or Sign Strip to deep clean records that haven't been improved by treatment in the Audiodesksysteme RCM or the Disc Doctor process. Would someone here know of a source for a quart or a gallon of Protectapeel or Sign Strip?

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
KL Audio automation:

allows multiple LPs be loaded and it automatically places, cleans and retrieves each record, one by one. Thanks to Albert Porter for the pic (hope you don't mind) and explanation from Munich 2014...I would love to hear more details from KL Audio themselves. Pretty cool if you ask me.

Attachments

• KLAUDIO.jpg
    KLAUDIO.jpg
    142.1 KB · Views: 1,919

curbfeeler

Apr 19, 2012
Holy shite, Batman! A changer for a record cleaner. Never thought I'd live to see that.

audioarcher

May 6, 2012
Seattle area
I wonder if that is an add on accessory or do you have to buy that entire machine ?

Pretty sure it's an add on, but not sure how the changer knows when to change discs if it is. I also wonder how easy it is to load and unload the records on the arms?

curbfeeler

Apr 19, 2012
Thanks to audioarcher and rockitman for the posts re: the changer for the Klaudio.

Suteetat

Sep 3, 2013
Bangkok
Personally, I am more interested in the silent box as a friend who went to Munich said that the machine is totally silent in that box so it is ok
to clean your LP in the listening room while you listen to music. I was told that the changer will not be cheap, close to retail price of the ultrasonic unit itself unfortunately. I hope the silent box is not too expensive otherwise and little DIY project might be needed!
There is a green light at the bottom of the box so the box may not be completely passive. I wonder what the power is for...hmmm..

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Personally, I am more interested in the silent box as a friend who went to Munich said that the machine is totally silent in that box so it is ok
to clean your LP in the listening room while you listen to music. I was told that the changer will not be cheap, close to retail price of the ultrasonic unit itself unfortunately. I hope the silent box is not too expensive otherwise and little DIY project might be needed!
There is a green light at the bottom of the box so the box may not be completely passive. I wonder what the power is for...hmmm..

It didn't even dawn on me what the box was for laugh out loud. I usually run out of the room during the zapping process.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
It didn't even dawn on me what the box was for laugh out loud. I usually run out of the room during the zapping process.

So do my cats! :)

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
The silent box is REALLY silent! Peter showed us a prototype many moons ago, and it was already fairly quiet. Then he told us where else more damping was needed. It's not going to be cheap because of the extent of what he has to go through to dampen all that noise. A DIY box - you could probably knock the noise down by 16dB to 20dB. Gut feel tells me that the box that Peter designed knocks the noise down by 12dB to 15dB more.

Suteetat

Sep 3, 2013
Bangkok
Gary, any idea what that green light on the bottm left of the box is for?

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
Gary, any idea what that green light on the bottm left of the box is for?

The "Silencer" is passive (not active noise reduction). It needs to be able to vent the humidity from the blow-dryer so that the drying can be just as efficient with the machine inside the silencer as it is outside the silencer. Hence, the green light indicates that a circulation fan which syncs to the cleaners operation is running. The exhaust fan system also has noise insulation (like a car's muffler) so that the vent does not allow the noise to escape.

Suteetat

Sep 3, 2013
Bangkok
Thanks Gary, this sound quite a bit more sophisticated than just box that deaden the sound. Will have to wait to hear what the final MSRP will be but I hope it is nowhere near the 5 LP changer unit. It would be really nice to be able to clean LP in the same room while listening to music.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing