Apr 20, 2010
New York City
deleted

Last edited:

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Greatly enjoyed reading your review on the Klaudio RCM. It's unfortunate for me that I'll never be able to hear the sonic benefits this device can bring to a recording, as the price is well beyond my reach. However, perhaps I could get lucky and find someone local who offers a cleaning service. I would definitely spring for such a service for a few of my most beloved recordings. One can hope.

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010

+1

'what he said'

Myles, nice review. and you have pushed me to do the same experimentations with time. I've been using 3 minute cleaning only so i'll switch to 4 and see if that increases the difference between the KLAUDIO and the AD.

but I agree with everything you have said.

I've also just used a 3 minute dry, but switch to 2 and see if that works good enough.

regarding the Audio Desk and the time issue (how many beeps you choose), I have found with more dirty used records that 6-7 minutes can make a difference. but most records that look relatively clean to begin with sound the same with 2-3 or 4 minutes.....time beyond 2 does not seem to matter.

I do use the Audio Desk for records with obviously more surface dirt due to the filter. however; if I only had the KLAUDIO I would just do some sort of pre-wipe like you suggest.

thank you for doing the work.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
Great review, Myles.

Mike, I found that a 4 minute clean of brand new records makes a big difference for me with the Klaudio. I didn't experience that difference with all my elbow-grease enzymatic cleaning and it took up too much of my time, so I have not been cleaning new LPs. However, since the Klaudio is so easy to use, I cleaned the second LP of a 2 LP set while the first LP was playing, and was very pleasantly surprised at the increase in transparency. So, it is now back in my process to clean every new LP that comes in. Even the sealed, brand new re-issues.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Very informative review Myles. I have a copy of the Stevie Winwood "Back in the High Life" LP I bought brand new when it first came out and mine has lots of low end punch. :D

audioarcher

May 6, 2012
Seattle area
Excellent review Myles. I borrowed the KL for a day and compared it to my Audio Desk. I think Myles really nailed the description of how the KL sounds and works. Wish I had more time with it. This is a much better review than Michael Fremer's IMO. I don't know how MF did not notice the difference in sound between the two.:confused:

Grooves

Feb 29, 2012
Pacific Northwest
Hi Myles,
Nice review Myles. I think the only thing that worries me is the lack of filtering of the fluid. Should this be a concern especially if you're into cleaning used LP's? Based upon your review I would buy this over the ADS if it had a filter or allowed the addition of some method of filtering the fluid. The thought of cleaning with "used" fluid makes me cautious.

Ki Choi

Member Sponsor
May 13, 2010
Seattle WA area
One of the reasons I dove into the KLAudio RCM was to clean used LPs as easily as possible and to achieve perfectly clean micro grooves without damages. I don't buy LPs with heavy scratches or visible dirt that are clearly not been taken care of.

I had cleaned about 150 used LPs since I initially filled the tank with distilled water without any ill effects to the records. Although the records still come out very clean, I plan to drain the water and check how much stuff was in the water...

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
if you pre scrub and wipe dry each record prior to the first ultra cleaning, the water stays clean for a lot of records. 1 gallon of distilled water is $2.50.

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
Even if you don't pre-scrub and wipe dry each record prior to the first ultra cleaning, the water stays clean for quite a few records. It's only 1/2 gallon, so a fill-up is only $1.25. I clean 20 really dirty records per fill-up, and even then, the waste water isn't colored enough to worry me. Still looks really clear to me!

Klaudio

Jul 16, 2013
www.klaudio.com
Hi Myles,
Nice review Myles. I think the only thing that worries me is the lack of filtering of the fluid. Should this be a concern especially if you're into cleaning used LP's? Based upon your review I would buy this over the ADS if it had a filter or allowed the addition of some method of filtering the fluid. The thought of cleaning with "used" fluid makes me cautious.

It's not a concern. Dirt in the grooves is essentially pulverized by the cavitation action, and presents no risk to the disc at that point. Most dirt is composed of lightweight matter (dander, hair, fiber, etc.) any way and won't affect the vinyl. If there are heavier particles, they tend to float to the bottom of the reservoir. Our intention was specifically to design-out any requirement for ongoing expenses (filters, cleaners, wipers, etc.).

Tim

Nevillekapadia

VIP/Donor
Aug 30, 2010
@ Tim,

Youi have also suggested in the manual (not sure but I did read it somewhere) that you can also use normal tap water for cleaning the records. Have you tried it and what are your thoughts on it.
I use reverse-osmosis (5 stage filetered) water in the Kaudio and Audio Desk (with very litlle cleaning fluid - half cap full) and it works wonders.

@ Myles,
Thank you for your homework on the time trials, as I had just left it on a 3 minute clean (came on that setting). One thing for sure the klaudio does not leave a drop of water or even a trace of 'wetness' on the vinyl, unlike my AD that does.

Best,

Neville

Suteetat

Sep 3, 2013
Bangkok
I received my KLaudio several days ago and it has been a lot of fun. Much much better at cleaning records than my old Clearaudio Matrix and the totally automated procedure helps a lot. In a couple of days, I managed to clean a big stack of LPs that I acquired in the last 3 months but could not be bothered to clean just yet and cleaned many of my favourite LPs and listening to them showed a major change in sound. Who knows clean LP would sound so much different!
Unfortunately now I have a big stack of clean LPs on the floor that is waiting to be played !

Is there any significant difference between distilled and RO/DI water as far as KL machine is concerned? Yes, I know about the difference in how the water is processed but wonder if there is any advantage of one over the other as far as cleaning LP is concerned?

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
Can you use reagent (lab grade) water with the KL? I know that AD proscribes that, and insists that its devices is designed for distilled water- when I spoke to Ultra about it, they went out of their way to insist that even reverse osmosis water was not appropriate- that i must use distilled water exclusively. Does that have anything to do with the 'weight' of the water or its constituent elements, that somehow work together, by design, with the AD-supplied surfactant?

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Can someone explain the difference between "distilled" and "reverse osmosis" to me? I thought they were the same...at least some claim it is.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Can someone explain the difference between "distilled" and "reverse osmosis" to me? I thought they were the same...at least some claim it is.

distilled is just that, water heated to 212 F boiling and the steam is condensated back into water, presumably free of anything but water. Osmosis is simply filtering water.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
distilled is just that, water heated to 212 F boiling and the steam is condensated back into water, presumably free of anything but water. Osmosis is simply filtering water.

Thanks Christian. People I've spoken with (water dealers/retailers) have said both are free of all minerals and/or contaminents. If this is so, why would it make a difference? Or is it not so?

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
imo, I think distilled water is purer than reverse osmosis (filtered) water.

I buy distilled water anyway, but just wanted to know.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing