Klaudio Record Cleaning Machine Review

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
I just got the machine recently and am experimenting with different settings. I tried a double cleaning cycle and liked the results. My typical routine is now 2 X 5 minute wash cycle and one three minute dry cycle.

I should probably try that. I don't generally do the 2nd cycle, unless for some reason I am finding the sound a little dull - then I do the 2nd cycle and it seems to almost always sound better.

cuntigh

Dec 20, 2014
FRANCE
I just got the machine recently and am experimenting with different settings. I tried a double cleaning cycle and liked the results. My typical routine is now 2 X 5 minute wash cycle and one three minute dry cycle.

I previously read a KL user had great results when he washed twice also, but before the second washing cycle, he listened the record in his system.
He said when the needle had been inthe bottom of the groove the second washing was more effective.
The trouble I experienced with my KL is now disapeared. Maybe I let it unused for too long time ?

A few questions for all my fellow Klaudio owners/users:

How often do you change your water?

What kind of water do you use?

Do you use a TDS Meter (Total Dissolved Solids) to check water quality?

How do you clean the reservoir/tank in your Klaudio?

Do you pay attention to water temperature?

I know there are many previous posts on some of these things (for example Bill uses lint-free clean-room wipes), but I'm curious to know what others are doing, and although I'm already at the far-end on the obsessive scale (a bit too OCD) I do think it's a worthwhile discussion given that tweaks and attention to detail can be a really cost-effective way to get the best results from these $4,800 USD machines!

Thanks,
Dave

beaur

Fleetwood Sound
Oct 12, 2011
Brooklyn
How often do you change your water?

Depends on how many records I clean, but basically once a month. I have changed it more often but that was when I was using the machine every day for multiple records.

What kind of water do you use?

Lucky enough to have access to very pure water at work. Lab quality.

Do you use a TDS Meter (Total Dissolved Solids) to check water quality?

The lab system has one.

How do you clean the reservoir/tank in your Klaudio?

Take the back plug off and use a microfiber cloth and stick to get in corners.

Do you pay attention to water temperature?

No.

Hi beaur, that's great that you've got access to lab-grade water, as really pure water is a great natural solvent to dissolve dirt and contaminants!

I used to buy NERL lab water in 5-gallon "cubitainers" but given the cost (and shipping) I now have RO/DI filtering equipment at home, to make 0ppm RODI water from distilled supermarket water..

I'd recommend you buy a TDS meter, they start at only $15 and a decent one like the HM COM-100 is about $60, which is what I use, it resolves to 0.1ppm. You can easily take water samples from your Klaudio after cleaning a few records. I think you'll be surprised how quickly the ppm's go up..

I change my water often, sometimes after just 10 records, even though I'm usually cleaning first in an Audio Desk machine, so the records are already "clean".

I refill with 0ppm RODI water that is preheated, I use a small aquarium heater in a 2.5 gallon bucket, holding a gallon container of RODI, so I always have water at working temperature, ready to go..

It's all in the details, and I think using (consistently) pure water is one of the important ones..

Last edited:
I am in the process of building a filtering and water heating system for my KL Audio.

I missed that bit! :)

I'm not sure Klaudio machines need a heater, as 200w of ultrasonic power puts plenty of heat into the water and keeps the cooling loop busy (radiator on the back of later models) and you can just start off with pre-heated water to get the same result, but I am interested in what kind of filter loop you're adding onto/into your Klaudio machine!

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
How does the Klaudio work with thinner records? My biggest issue with the Audio Desk is that it doesn't fully dry 150 gm or less records. Kind of a pain in the neck.

I am trying to decide if it is worth replacing with a Klaudio or a Clearaudio Double Matrix (which is a lot more expensive).

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
How does the Klaudio work with thinner records? My biggest issue with the Audio Desk is that it doesn't fully dry 150 gm or less records. Kind of a pain in the neck.

I am trying to decide if it is worth replacing with a Klaudio or a Clearaudio Double Matrix (which is a lot more expensive).

My KL works fine with thin records. Clean and dry.

Kind regards,
Tang

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
With the Audio Desk, I also get some drops, and 10% seem about right too, and mostly on 1 side. I either wipe it off gently, or just flip the record clean it again for another quick cycle.

One important thing with the Audio Desk is leveling it. There's a bubble level on top, so make sure it's leveled, otherwise you'll get more water residue on the records.

cheers,
alex

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
Thanks for the comments.

My unit is level but leaves drops on any thin record. Maybe it is time to move on from the Audio Desk and get a Klaudio.

beaur

Fleetwood Sound
Oct 12, 2011
Brooklyn

I've had no issue with any LPs from thin 70s vinyl to 200 G records. All come out dry once you find your sweet spot for adjusting the drying time.

Beau

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
Thanks for the comments.

My unit is level but leaves drops on any thin record. Maybe it is time to move on from the Audio Desk and get a Klaudio.

The KL Audio is one of the best pieces of equipment I own. Every person I know that owned the Audio Desk sold it (or it broke for a 3rd time) and they moved om the KL Audio.

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Thanks for the comments.

Dear dminches,

If it still cleans well, just wipe it off. No need to buy a new one. A little hassle makes the hobby more analog.
I also have a ritual of swirling the Walker magnet bar over a spinning record before the needle drop. It takes about 10secs. I dont even know if it eliminates pops but I have silly been doing it. But it certainly give me a analog feeling..:D.

Kind regards,
Tang

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
Dear dminches,

If it still cleans well, just wipe it off. No need to buy a new one. A little hassle makes the hobby more analog.
I also have a ritual of swirling the Walker magnet bar over a spinning record before the needle drop. It takes about 10secs. I dont even know if it eliminates pops but I have silly been doing it. But it certainly give me a analog feeling..:D.

Kind regards,
Tang

careful not to get that magnet bar anywhere near your tapes. maybe buy a lead case for it.

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
Dear dminches,

Kind regards,
Tang

Tang, you crack me up!

We had some nice reels spinning at Axpona in Nick's room. One of these days you are going to have make a trip to the US and attend the show.

No real problems with drying on the Klaudio cleaners, except that the versions I have now (with loading slot light and cooling radiator/fan) will occasionally blow water droplets up onto the edges of the slot, which wasn't a problem with the original version.. Those droplets can be big enough to get onto record surfaces when lifting the records out after a full 5 minutes of drying, so they have to come out perfectly vertically to avoid that when it happens.. Another drying cycle is needed when it does, which thankfully is not all the time.. I've told Tim at Klaudio about this, and he said I'm the only customer having this problem, but both of my Klaudio machines do it..

All of that compares very well to drying on the earlier version Audio Desk machines I have.. It's a design problem with stray droplets and drying in general because the white pvc/silicone "wipers" are in a fixed position, and other than being flexible, they don't adjust to different width records.. The wipers wear out too, so can be viewed as consumable that needs to be replaced, and they are an absolute pig to get in and out of the machine! Brand new wipers are best for thinner records, but some wear is good if cleaning 180g records, since brand new wipers are so damn tight against those.. Personally I'm disappointed that the designer Reiner Glass didn't address this shortcoming in any way with newer "Pro" versions of his machine, except for adding a "dry only" cycle which is a bit of a bandaid approach.. It would be a really annoying problem (when it happens) if I didn't also have Klaudio machines to use..

Are you talking about your other option being the Clearaudio Double Matrix Sonic? That's an interesting looking machine, I've never used one though..

Last edited:

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
Are you talking about your other option being the Clearaudio Double Matrix Sonic? That's an interesting looking machine, I've never used one though..

Yes. I have seen the Fremer video review and it is a very nice machine but it is also a good amount more expensive.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing