Those Awesome Ultra Analogue Tapes

Edward Pong

Industry Expert
Jun 24, 2013
Locust Hill, Ontario
Larry, you're right, violins are so fascinating, each one is different & each has a way to play it. The best Cremonese instruments sometimes may be "hard to play" but the violinist has to explore how to bring out the best in it.

The other factor is bows, most people don't realize how important the bow is to the over all sound of the violin. I've heard bows make the same violin sound like 2 different fiddles! I once had violinist Ray Chen at my place & I recorded his Strad with 2 different bows.....even on a CD transfer of the tape, people said 1 bow sounded like the winner of a competition & the other bow's sound sounded like 3rd place! It's like our audio systems, it's the total interaction of all the components.
Ray even made a violin I made "sound" like his Strad......nobody else ever made it sound like that! With fiddles - the player is everything.

Last edited:

Taksil

Feb 5, 2012
Sydney, Australia
Dear Ed,

Thank you for the 5 tapes you recommended and sent. They arrived safely in Sydney and I have now had an opportunity to listen to two.

My thanks and congratulations to you and your associates for capturing the emotion of the music and the passion of the artists. I just sat there and enjoyed the transportation and the feeling that I was there.

Best regards from Sydney, Australia!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing