Is there a forum or place I can post the scammer information on Audiogon?

Vin-Wei

Oct 3, 2011
I was being scammed recently and Audiogon is not very helpful so the scammer still can keep a good track record on Audiogon, I would like to warn other people be aware of the scammer.

Vin-Wei

Oct 3, 2011

audioarcher

May 6, 2012
Seattle area
Looks like he has feedback just nothing in the last 12 months. I wonder if the account was hacked?

Why did Audiogon not let you leave him negative feedback?

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

hvbias

Jun 22, 2012
New England area
Does Audiogon still have the system where the person has to accept feedback? ie they can deny negative feedback and it will never show on their profile

Keith_W

Mar 31, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
www.whatsbestforum.com
I deleted another phishing email from "audiogon@aud.com" today asking me to enter my login details otherwise my account would be suspended. Naturally I did no such thing. I forwarded the email to Audiogon for their attention. Probably a waste of time - I never did receive a reply for my previous emails.

I wonder how the scammers got my email in the first place.

puroagave

Member Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
the scammers are going back to expired ads more than a year old. i got a few phishing emails recently on a different email account than the one i registered with. they got my alternate email from an old ad where i posted my addy in the body of the description, this was right around the time of the ownership change. i forwarded the phishing emails to audiogon.

i was at the audiogon booth at the newport show and thought i overheard the gal minding the table say that 300 accounts were hacked into in the first breach :eek:

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
His feedback looks suspicious to me from the start - almost all feedback was left from accounts with 0 feedback. That is simply not possible in real world. It seems that he had created a 'bubble'. Sorry for your loss.

audioarcher

May 6, 2012
Seattle area
His feedback looks suspicious to me from the start - almost all feedback was left from accounts with 0 feedback. That is simply not possible in real world. It seems that he had created a 'bubble'. Sorry for your loss.

Everyone of them have feedback. Audiogon just started a new thing with their feedback that only shows the last 12 months unless you run the cursor over the feedback score. Then it will show all of the feedback. It's kind of annoying.

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
Yes, you are right. The new feedback system doesn't make any sense to me.

Vin-Wei

Oct 3, 2011
As some of you have noticed Audiogon just changed the feedback system last week, so it will only show the most recent one year feedback, but if you move the cursor under the feedback, it will still show the past record. This guy has a decent feedback from the last 7 years and after I checked some of the members who left feedbacks, he did complete some real transactions. so it means this guy could be an audiophile but turn into a scammer. That is the part worries me, it means he could strike again sometimes in the future. I tested his knowledge about the unit and he did know some thing about it, so I do not think this member account was hacked.

Vin-Wei

Oct 3, 2011
Audiogon did not allow me to leave feedback was because we agreed on the price through email and did not use the Buy & Offer function on Audiogon. This guy intentioanlly not post picture on the ad so he has to send the pictures to personal email then we communicate through email afterwards. In the past you can leave feedback on Audiogon easily even without complete the transaction, now Audiogon has made this very difficult and this only protect scammer like mihael.

The loss amount is not that big but I would rather donate the amount to the needed. I am trying to find a way to report to the Europa consumer protection & police system and see how it works.

Jazzhead

VIP/Donor
Aug 26, 2012
Does the part payment thru PayPal not help, in any way to trace him ?

Vin-Wei

Oct 3, 2011
I asked for the paypal account but he intentionally delayed providing it, he knew I can trace this back to him and get the money back. I do has the bank account information but he claimed that was his brother's account with the same last name, I should be alert about this by that time.

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
Did you report that to the police ? I belive you can chase the scammer anyway for the internet scam from the US. EU is not a Kazahstan.

Vin-Wei

Oct 3, 2011
Indeed and that is what I am doing now. I just filed the complaint with the Romania police but not sure how they will handle the cross-broder cyber crime especially the complaint is in English.

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
Lots of scams from Romania on AudiogoN and Audio Markt lately :(

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing