2013 RMAF must see/hear Products and your Fab Five?

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
Unfortunately, they aren't going this time. Their room was a lot of fun the last time they were at RMAF.
We are using the same room, as well as vintage speakers, so maybe we can make it fun, too. :)

Bill, I wish you could go.

Thanks Win, but i hate travelling and having to make two flights back and forth in as many weeks is beyond me these days. I know that sounds wimpy and it is. I used to be on the planes all the time for business- not uncommon for me to do ny, europe, ny, la, back to ny, europe and back to ny in several weeks time. (Fortunately, in those days, there was something called the Concorde :))
I've become a local yokel. Figure once I'm in Austin full time, I can hitchhike up to Denver. :)

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
Hello Everyone!

As you may know, I started to press LPs this year, beginning with a 2LP set of "La Segunda" the recording I did in Argentina of the group Sera una Noche at 176.4 kHz. As well, I produced a 12 inch 45rpm EP of three tracks from Sera una Noche's first recording. This involvement in the "analoge domain" encouraged me to have my own custom made inner sleeves produced over the summer in Japan. The results were really phenomenal, so much that I decided that I should try to direct market the inner sleeves to the most serious vinyl audiophiles. In short, they are made from a combination of two synthetic fibers so that the material breathes, considerably lessening the possibility for mold and mildew to build up on the surface of the LP. Needless to say, the sleeves also exhibit anti-static properties.

For those interested in what I have to offer, please let me know by return email if you intend to stop by the MA Recordings/Woo Audio so I can give you some samples.

Here is a photo of an MA LP inside one of the sleeves....

View attachment 12013

Myles - is this a different path from the m.a recordings they have?

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

Dre_J

Industry Expert
Mar 5, 2012
Looking forward to the show. Getting packed now.

Any other things of note worth mentioning about Fab-Fives or must hear products please post them here. I'm sure the threat will be active during the show in case there is something that slips mention beforehand.

Dre

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
Just got word that someone will be bringing master tapes to digitize in DSD256fs.

mauidan

Member Sponsor
Aug 2, 2010
Pukalani, HI
RMAF 2013 Teaser, Part 2- by Part-Time Audiophile

Channel D (Room 582) is announcing a new tool for the digital audiophile, the Seta Piccola Active DAC Buffer/Attenuator. This is about half the price of the Buffer unit I wrote about recently! Like the Buffer, the Piccola will sit between your DAC and your amp, correcting all manner of impedance issues and let your DAC’s digital volume control operate in its un-damaging sweet spot. Price is $1,599.
Resonessence Labs (Room 1104) is announcing its newest DAC, the Herus. “Priced at $350 HERUS is the lowest priced DSD/DXD capable DAC/headphone amp product available. HERUS follows a line of high performance, award-winning Audio DACs from Resonessece Labs. This thumb sized unit really packs a punch!”
DEQX (Room 525) has a new preamplifier, the PreMate ($4495; USB input adds another $495), providing speaker calibration, crossover and room compensation.
Antelope Audio (Room 447) has a new “Platinum” version of its popular DAC, now supporting DSD. No price on this one, but it does support 764kHz sampling for PCM and quad-DSD (DSD256).
Zesto Audio (Room 1117) has a new amplifier, the Bia 120 ($12,500). 60wpc from a quartet of Class A-biased KT88 vacuum tubes.
ModWright (Iris Ballroom) will be showing off their new Elyse DAC and a prototype phono stage that Dan is calling “Black” (Room 514).
High Water Sound (Room 589) is showing off the magnificent Liszt loudspeakers from Cessaro Horn Acoustics. This is a don’t-miss demo, kids.
Woo Audio (Room 574) has a new mono-block can amp!
iRiver/Astell&Kern (Room 506) are intro-ing a new in-ear monitor, a docking station for their DAP products, a bookshelf pair of speakers, and the new AK10, an amp/DAC combo specifically for the latest iPhones.
Jude over at Head-Fi has a whole 40-minute video up on Youtube of all the other new head-fi stuff.
Including … two new models from Audez’e, the LCD-X ($1,699) and the LCD-XC ($1,799), which should slot them in between the current offerings. The LCD-XC are closed back, the X is open, and both are supposed to be terrific.
Naim (Room 8020) is showing off three new integrated amps from Naim, including the NAIT 5si ($1,800), Nait XS2 ($2,900) and Supernait2 ($4,900). This is alongside four new speakers from Dali, including the Kubik Free ($1,295 ea) wireless speakers, the Epicon 6 ($13,999/pair), the Fazon Micro ($650/pair) bookshelf speakers, and the Zensor 3 (starting at $695/pair).
Rega (Room 8024) will be showing a new turntable, the RP8 ($3,490), “This new turntable includes a radical new low mass, high rigidity Skeletal plinth design with polyolefin foam core which adds more stiffness in the crucial area between the arm and the main bearing. A hand-built tone arm boasts a low mass, precision engineered, vertical bearing assembly redesigned to redistribute mass. A 24V twin phase synchronous motor unit contains an anti-vibration circuit hand tuned to each motor and is controlled by Rega’s unique and innovative TTPSU power supply.” Rega will also be showing the new top-loading Saturn CD/DAC ($2,995) and their new Elicit-R integrated ($2,995).
Nordost (Mezzanine) will be showing off their new footers, the Sort Füt ($350 each — $1,500 will get you a set of four, plus tools for customization, including a laser-leveling system), and the recently released Valhalla v2 cabling loom.
Source Systems (Room 469) will be showing off the new Lumin DSD/PCM network streamer/DAC that 6moons and Computer Audiophile went bananas over and some new bits from M2Tech and Cyrus.
Audio Arts (Room 570) will be showing off the newest from Robert Koda, CH Precision, Trinity, and Zellaton.
SVS (Room 441) will be there and showing the new SoundPath Subwoofer Isolation System for the first time.
Emia‘s Dave Slagle (Room 9009) will be hauling around a Christmas sack full of goodies he’s not talking about. Evil bastard.
Triode Corp of Japan/Acoustic Zen (Room 1009) will be showing the brand new TRX-2 tube preamp with phono ($5,000) with an all-Triode/Acoustic Zen lineup featuring the big Crescendo loudspeakers ($16,000). This is usually one of the best sounds at the show, if you’ll pardon the totally unnecessary editorial.
The Lotus Group (Room 9017) will be demoing the new Aurender W-20 “Reference Music Server” and host of other choice bits, including SMc and TIDAL Audio.
Danacable (Room 557) will apparently be doing “cable shootouts” at RMAF this year. Pretty ballsy of them. They’re also giving away Gingko isolation platforms and offering serious at-show cable discounts, too.
VPI will be showing their new MW-1 Cyclone record cleaning machine ($1,000) at the Soundstage Direct booth in the Evergreen Ballroom and they’re asking you to bring your dirty LPs. Right on! The new Classic Direct will also be on hand, elsewhere ….
BorderPatrol (Rooms 431 and 1102) may, or may not, have some brand new external über power supply units for their 300b-based amplifiers. I’ve heard the prototype, and if Gary brings these along for the show, you might want to bring a bowl to catch the salad of superlatives likely to be flying about the room.
Greg Roberts of Volti Audio (Room 1114) will also be showing off a new integrated from SST Audio with his Alura loudspeakers.
Merrill Audio (Room 582) will be showing off the Thor mono blocks ($4,000/pair), based on NCore technology. 9? x 9? x 2.5?, the Thor are rated to 400wpc into 4ohms. Order now and get a pre-production 10% off on your pair.
Auralic will be demoing their newest, the GEMINI 2000 ($1,995) and 1000 ($995). These are sexy head-amp “accessories” that combine Class-A amplifiers, DACs with support for DXD, DSD and double-rate DSD as well as sampling rates from 44.1K to 384K, SDXC support for up to 2TB of storage all built-in to a stylish headphone stand. Talk about “desktop-friendly”. Head over to CanJam for these beauties.
Last, but certainly not least (and probably not last, either), Philip O’Hanlon will be launching a new DSD-download site at this year’s RMAF — http://nativedsd.com/.

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
Have fun, everybody. I heard Jeff's set up in NY with Cessaros a couple years ago- it was pretty juicy! Say hi to the Chadster. :)

puroagave

Member Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
...Say hi to the Chadster. :)

for a while there i was sending him enough money every month to cover a mortgage payment. when i asked him how he liked the summer house i was paying for he didnt think it was funny.

someone buy him a drink, he needs one o'wise he'll burnout and we cant have that ;)

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
I just arrived at the Marriott and the place is alive with activity as all the exhibitors are coming through the doors with all of their gear to take to their rooms and start setting up.

audioarcher

May 6, 2012
Seattle area
It must be nice to get there a day early and not be in a rush. I'm usually too cheap to pay for an extra night though.:) I'll be there tomorrow morning.

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
Love to see a group photo if you get the chance. And one of MEP, next to some excessive or whacky piece of gear. :)

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
I'm at the Hampton rm. 318 now 6:45 PM Thurs. Just finished Grayline tour, will be walking over to Marriott later the check things out. Don't have mobile device, need to go back to hotel to check emails or PM through WBF. Cell 925=202=6199.

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
Saw John Atkinson, Fremer and Stereophile et.alia in the Marriott Lobby. Crashed the illuminati gathering, got two free ginger ales. Back to the Hampton for shower.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Hope all of you have a great time meeting up with old friends and new friends alike, and that the show is enjoyable. If anyone sees a phonostage (especially a tube unit) at a reasonable price, I wonder if you could comment on it. And as Bill said, a group shot (with names) would be nice! Enjoy!

mep

Apr 20, 2010
It must be nice to get there a day early and not be in a rush. I'm usually too cheap to pay for an extra night though.:) I'll be there tomorrow morning.

It was nice. We got to spend some time in Pargagon Audio/Nick Doshi's room last night listening to both tape and LPs. I heard Neil Young's Massey Hall in a new way last night. I never heard so much detailed/complex harmonic information and tone coming from Neal's guitar before. When I get home I will have to relisten to this LP to see/hear if I can replicate that information. The fact that I'm even saying this is telling. I also heard the Ravi Shankar tape I've been raving about on the same system and I don't need to go home and relisten to that tape because I'm capturing everything I heard last night if not possibly more.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Hope all of you have a great time meeting up with old friends and new friends alike, and that the show is enjoyable. If anyone sees a phonostage (especially a tube unit) at a reasonable price, I wonder if you could comment on it. And as Bill said, a group shot (with names) would be nice! Enjoy!

John-You may have already done this before, but what is your reasonable price? The Manley Chinnook phono stage is tube based and it retails for $2500 I believe. I have heard it and it put a smile on my face.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
Mark, is the system info on your profile page current? Are you still using the DefTechs as your primary speakers?

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
John-You may have already done this before, but what is your reasonable price? The Manley Chinnook phono stage is tube based and it retails for $2500 I believe. I have heard it and it put a smile on my face.

Anything under $3,000 retail as I could probably get a used unit for a better price. I don't want to spend more than $2,000. Thanks!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing