2013 RMAF must see/hear Products and your Fab Five?

Dre_J

Industry Expert
Mar 5, 2012
Lets hear it.

What are your "Must See" products for this year's 2013 RMAF?

One thing that always occurs to me usually after a show like this is the follow-up comments of components observed.

Well, I thought it would be nice to at least have a heads-up on some of the products being shown in order to reduce the chance of missing something potentially raved about by others.

Additionally, I thought it would be good to also have a list of Fab Fives or anticipated best of show candidates to get more ears on these setups. This in turn will allow those who are not attending to have a broader range of feedback as well as give those attending a better understanding of the listening preferences of fellow forum members.

So, what are your Fab Fives to seek out before/during the show?

Dre

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I wanted to go to RMAF just to hear the VR-100XS with Constellation electronics. Sadly, I'm not going to be there......again. :(

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
I primarily go to see friends but if I had to choose a piece of equipment I'd go with our own Win Tinnon's Saskia II turntable. Always fun to hear Jeff Catalano's room and hear selections from his awe-inspiring record collection.

Dre_J

Industry Expert
Mar 5, 2012
I primarily go to see friends but if I had to choose a piece of equipment I'd go with our own Win Tinnon's Saskia II turntable. Always fun to hear Jeff Catalano's room and hear selections from his awe-inspiring record collection.

FYI: Last I spied, the Saskia II will be on display this year with the EMIA electronics (some of the stuff in your electronics Doc). Additionally, the Saskia II will have the Schröder LT and Reference tonearms mounted, I think.

Jeff's room is like clockwork for me now. :)

Dre

hvbias

Jun 22, 2012
New England area

Looks like the Saskia II will be exhibited with the gear Dave Slagle is bringing- vintage strain gauge cartridges with Emia power supplies, DHT amps, etc. Should be a fun room! If only I could have got out of being on call that weekend :(

Dre_J

Industry Expert
Mar 5, 2012
Paragon Audio Room with Nick Doshi electronics driving Wilson speakers

I always try to get to Larry's room with Nick's stuff in there. BTW: last year was the best I have ever heard Nick's gear at ANY RMAF.

Dre

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Anything that you think will stretch their legs Dre. Thanks!

audioarcher

May 6, 2012
Seattle area
Some rooms I plan to check out.

1. Saskia II with Schroder LT
2. Xact Audio room with The Beat and Schroder LT
3. Doshi Audio room.
4. Wilson Audio room at the Hyatt with XLF and Thor's.
5. Genesis/Burmester room.

I would like to hear the Tech Das AF1 again but I don't think they will be there this year.

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
Ours will be the cheap room in your list, Sean. We're trying to bring something nearly affordable - with an integrated Burmester amplifier, Thorens turntable, and the Genesis petite monitor. Still, I hope that you'll enjoy the music I'll be bringing. Keep your eBay app on your phone ready :D

audioarcher

May 6, 2012
Seattle area
Ours will be the cheap room in your list, Sean. We're trying to bring something nearly affordable - with an integrated Burmester amplifier, Thorens turntable, and the Genesis petite monitor. Still, I hope that you'll enjoy the music I'll be bringing. Keep your eBay app on your phone ready :D

Oh ya. Always looking for some good new to me music. I know you will have good sound. I imagine monitors will be easier to integrate into a small room.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Some rooms I plan to check out.

1. Saskia II with Schroder LT
2. Xact Audio room with The Beat and Schroder LT
3. Doshi Audio room.
4. Wilson Audio room at the Hyatt with XLF and Thor's.
5. Genesis/Burmester room.

I would like to hear the Tech Das AF1 again but I don't think they will be there this year.

Definitely think you'll want to add the Von Schweikert room to the list.

It will also be interesting if YG chooses to show again with Dan D'Agostino.

Peter Breuninger

[Industry Expert] Member Sponsor
Jul 20, 2010

audioarcher

May 6, 2012
Seattle area
Definitely think you'll want to add the Von Schweikert room to the list.

It will also be interesting if YG chooses to show again with Dan D'Agostino.

Certainly. I usually enjoy the Von Schweikert room. I particularly liked the room about 5 years ago with the SR-9's in a big room. I liked that they were playing tape last year but when I was in there it was not music that was grabbing my attention.

I'd like to hear Rockports in a well setup fair sized room. I have not heard YG with Dan D'Agostino. That would be interesting.

Dre_J

Industry Expert
Mar 5, 2012
Part of the reason for the thread, to expand a little more, is to prep us for those potential follow-up posts about setups that members thought sounded great/excellent/outstanding.

For example: Last year, many members raved about the MBL room and even the NOLA KO's in the room with ARC gear. Based on the little time I spent in both those rooms, I wouldn't have thought that that was the case. Good, yes, but nothing special while I was in there.

However, I did only spend very little time in both rooms and they may have just been playing music that didn't really show off what they were capable of doing or I just wasn't feeling it at the time. In any event, I'm really going to make an effort to try to spend some time in these rooms that some members think are over the top or out front. This is mostly to get a feel for what the sound preferences are of other WBF members here.

With that said, I'm hoping this thread will help to identify some of the rooms to visit with purpose ahead of time so I know to stay in there a little longer to see if I get it.

Dre

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing