The Grateful Dead: Complete Studio Albums Collection NEWLY REMASTERED at 24/192

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
Now up on HDTracks, the entire Grateful Dead catalog, remastered from the ORIGINAL
master tapes in 192 Khz .

From David Glasser, Chief Grateful Dead Engineer, Airshow Mastering:
"The Grateful Dead studio albums were mastered from the original master tapes in Airshow Studio C, Boulder, CO. Transfers were done at 192kHz / 24 Bit from an Ampex ATR with Plangent replay electronics to a Prism ADA-8XR A/D converter into a soundBlade workstation. The studio, designed by Sam Berkow, has Dunlavy SC-V loudspeakers driven by Ayre Acoustic amps.

For comparison I referenced the previous CD versions and original LPs. The goal was to remain faithful to the originals while at the same time extracting as much resolution and detail as possible using modern technology, and improving on the original releases, if possible. Some of the masters were transferred flat with no EQ or compression. (That is a testament to the mixing and production of the day; Terrapin Station, in particular, sounded spectacular right off the tape.) When needed, EQ was either a solid-state Prismsound MEA-2, API 5500, or newly manufactured Pultec EQM-1A3 tube equalizers. Very light compression from a Fairman TMC was used on 5 of the titles. No peak limiting was used on any of the masters with the exception of Built to Last, the only album that was originally mixed to a digital recorder (Sony 1630). All the dynamics of the master recordings have been retained. Several of the tape boxes contained the original LP EQ notes, and these were taken into consideration.

Plangent Processing, used so successfully on recent Grateful Dead live releases, was used on this project for speed correction and wow and flutter removal. (This made a huge difference, and I think should be considered for any archival release.) The ability to mitigate the mechanical shortcomings of the tape transports results in increased clarity and low-end solidity, stereo image stability, and a reduction of scrape-flutter induced distortion. You can hear this readily in the reverb of the a capella section toward the end of "Uncle John's Band" from Workingman's Dead, the amazing detail on the guitar and harpsichord on "Mountains of the Moon" from Aoxomoxoa, and the synthesizer section of "Unbroken Chain" from Mars Hotel. Plangent Processing uses the latent bias signal on the tape as a speed reference. Because this signal is very high frequency (90kHz up to 450kHz, depending on the make and model of the recorder), special analysis equipment and wide-bandwidth replay electronics and heads are used for transfers and the speed-correction processing is applied at Plangent's lab in Massachusetts.

Hearing these songs direct off the master tapes was a very special experience, and these 192k and 96k HD Tracks releases are really the closest thing to hearing the master tapes."

Looking forward to hearing. Sorry DSD optimists, no DSD in sight. Any delusions of mass market DSD archive is just that, a delusion.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
whoa...good stuff! GD care about remastering imho...should be interesting to hear. The Pizza Tapes for example are just a jam session...and are GREAT.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
went to HD Tracks...did not see it? Did search for Grateful Dead and only 1 album came up?

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
whoa...good stuff! GD care about remastering imho...should be interesting to hear. The Pizza Tapes for example are just a jam session...and are GREAT.

Truth be told, the HDCDs are really good too..very analog sounding. Definitely looking forward to hearing these however.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
Which studio albums should a neophyte try first?

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com

Strictly in my opinion,

Aoxomoxoa (1969)
Workingman’s Dead (1970)
American Beauty (1970)

Batch 2, if you get that far:

Wake Of The Flood (1973)
From The Mars Hotel (1974)
Blues For Allah (1975)

LL21

Dec 26, 2010

Strictly in my opinion,

Aoxomoxoa (1969)
Workingman’s Dead (1970)
American Beauty (1970)

Batch 2, if you get that far:

Wake Of The Flood (1973)
From The Mars Hotel (1974)
Blues For Allah (1975)

Generally agree...though Europe '71 is a classic concert and that is half the experience with the Dead. Also, if you want just one...get The Very Best of the Grateful Dead...there is a very very well remastered version now.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Also, if you decide you like the purely acoustic 'folk' side more of their music rather than the rock-side...go for the Pizza Tapes. Talk about a great audiophile album of the Dead just jamming...it really is incredibly good as an audiophille recording. plus the story behind the album is cool. They were taping a pvt jam session at someone's place/studio...and the pizza delivery guy literally stole the tape, and somehow it ended up being replicated...they heard it on the radio or something...and the Dead got hold of it again and put it formally on the market...or something like that.

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
Generally agree...though Europe '71 is a classic concert and that is half the experience with the Dead. Also, if you want just one...get The Very Best of the Grateful Dead...there is a very very well remastered version now.

Agree, some of the live albums are good too, but I am guessing he meant from this batch of remasters, which are studio only.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Agree, some of the live albums are good too, but I am guessing he meant from this batch of remasters, which are studio only.

Yes, and if you're new to the Dead...and are an audiophile, best to go with the Remasters...which are exceptional by any standard, let alone a rock band. (some rock bands are great...Santana...and a lot of them have poor masterings...Springsteen, Mellancamp, etc.)

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
Also, if you decide you like the purely acoustic 'folk' side more of their music rather than the rock-side...go for the Pizza Tapes. Talk about a great audiophile album of the Dead just jamming...plus the story is cool. They were taping a pvt jam session at someone's place/studio...and the pizza delivery guy literally stole the tape, and somehow it ended up being replicated...they heard it on the radio or something...and the Dead got hold of it again and put it formally on the market...or something like that.

Ironically, the Dead are known as acid hippie band, but they very much kept classic American musical forms front and center..folk, bluegrass, blues, old timey stuff...

And even more ironically American Beauty and Workingman's Dead have been HUGELY influential on the country alternative movement...Avett Brothers, Lumineers, Dawes, and even going back to Wilco, Son Volt, Jayhawks, and Uncle Tupelo.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Ironically, the Dead are known as acid hippie band, but they very much kept classic American musical forms front and center..folk, bluegrass, blues, old timey stuff...

And even more ironically American Beauty and Workingman's Dead have been HUGELY influential on the country alternative movement...Avett Brothers, Lumineers, Dawes, and even going back to Wilco, Son Volt, Jayhawks, and Uncle Tupelo.

Not familiar with those...but definitely could imagine their influence given the quality of their work, and the loyalty of their following. Great band...may play this weekend. Doesn't exactly go with Jay-Z right now...Bonnie & Clyde...

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
I'm sure I'm the most avid Deadhead here, but this barely excites me at all. WD and AB have been available as 24/96 downloads of the DVD-A stereo masterings for years now, and they are clearly the cream of the crop. Blues For Allah is probably the only other attraction here, so I'll be waiting for them to become available separately.

Ron Party

WBF Founding Member
Apr 30, 2010
Oakland, CA

Whoa!!! Now that's a difficult question, particularly since many of us relate to hearing/seeing/experiencing The Dead live moreso that their studio albums. I don't consider myself a Deadhead - I've only seen them in concert roughly 20 or so times, rarely sober and mostly, well... you know:) - but if ever there was band whose studio efforts paled in comparison to the real deal, The Dead would be it.

Having stated this, I am partial to American Beauty as an album, but, and a big BUT, side 2 of Terrapin Station is, well, think of what Echoes is to Floyd's Meddle. I still remember where I was, the girl I was with, and my reaction to that song, the first time I heard it, 30 something years ago.

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
I'm sure I'm the most avid Deadhead here, but this barely excites me at all. WD and AB have been available as 24/96 downloads of the DVD-A stereo masterings for years now, and they are clearly the cream of the crop. Blues For Allah is probably the only other attraction here, so I'll be waiting for them to become available separately.

Um, those DVD-A and the 24/96 downloads were REMIXES. Totally different products rbbert. :)

These are 2013 NEW digital archives and masterings from the original mixes.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
Um, those DVD-A and the 24/96 downloads were REMIXES. Totally different products rbbert. :)

These are 2013 NEW digital archives and masterings from the original mixes.

Oh I know, and I'll probably want to check those out sometime too, but as I said, ho-hum to the package.

Now if they started putting out some of the live stuff hi-res, that would be a different story. We already know that a bunch of that stuff is mixed in 24/96 and ready to go (e.g. Dick's Picks 3 & 4, Live Dead, most likely all the Europe '72 shows, in fact probably almost everything that has been released in HDCD, although that last I don't know for sure)

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
Oh I know, and I'll probably want to check those out sometime too, but as I said, ho-hum to the package.

Now if they started putting out some of the live stuff hi-res, that would be a different story. We already know that a bunch of that stuff is mixed in 24/96 and ready to go (e.g. Dick's Picks 3 & 4, Live Dead, most likely all the Europe '72 shows, in fact probably almost everything that has been released in HDCD, although that last I don't know for sure)

I hear ya. I have a few dozen of the Charlie Miller 24 bit, 96 Khz board tapes that sound better than just about any commercially released album. A few of the 77's are outstanding.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing