What's the Best TT, arm and cartridge system for under 9k total?

puroagave

Member Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
new or used? imo, there is no "best" at one price point. you'll have many more possible combinations available used.

puroagave

Member Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
new: VPI classic 3/VPI SDS/Lyra kleos

9k used will also get you a basis debut/graham phantom or SME 20/3 or spiral groove sg2 incl a used 2500 cart at half off, any of which id take over the set-up above.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
What Dave just said above: Linn Sondek LP12, with the Radikal DC motor with outboard power supply and control unit: $7,450

Also, as Rob said: VPI Classic 3: $6,000

And (but discontinued in 2010): Kuzma Stabi Reference: $8,900

* All three Class A (including tonearm and cartridge), for under $9,000

Spare cartridge alone? ... Ortofon SPU Synergy A: $1,799 ...Also Class A

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Last, but for $10,000 ($1,000 more than what you asked): VPI Super Scoutmaster Reference Rim Drive

Comes with many things including the JMW-10.5i Memorial tonearm fitted with Nordost Valhalla wire.

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
Last edited:

DavidinSF

Sep 28, 2013
Thanks guys. I was impressed listening to clearaudio ovation and thei top line mm. Great base and punch. But having psychological barriers with mm vs mc. Should I ignore the conventional wisdom?

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Thanks guys. I was impressed listening to clearaudio ovation and thei top line mm. Great base and punch. But having psychological barriers with mm vs mc. Should I ignore the conventional wisdom?

That was going to be my suggestion...the Ovation. What about phono stage ? Is that included in this budget ?

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
One that doesn't get a lot of attention but is worth a listen or two. Impressed me when I heard it.

http://www.onahighernote.com/luxman/?c=7&id=57

In fact, a lot of the new Luxman stuff impressed me including their Class A solid-state amplifier. The stereo amp (would like to hear the monoblocks) really sounded good into the Vivids and had some cajones.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
One that doesn't get a lot of attention but is worth a listen or two. Impressed me when I heard it.

http://www.onahighernote.com/luxman/?c=7&id=57

In fact, a lot of the new Luxman stuff impressed me including their Class A solid-state amplifier. The stereo amp (would like to hear the monoblocks) really sounded good into the Vivids and had some cajones.

If their new TT is anywhere near as good as their new DA06 DAC, then it would be a contender. The DA06 DAC is a killer piece.

jtinn

Industry Expert
Apr 20, 2010
That is easy. Find yourself an EMT 948 with arm cart and built in phono stage. This direct drive wonder has an amazing life cycle. I own eight of them and nothing seems to go wrong with these other than an occasional bulb dying.

This table has a pace and drive that is not easily matched.

Also, you won't have to spend nearly your entire budget. The rest can be spent on vinyl.

DavidinSF

Sep 28, 2013
was thinking NOva phonomena - SS. I wonder if i should spend the extra bucks to goto a lamm preamp? but perhaps the SS nova sounds good enough...

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
new: VPI classic 3/VPI SDS/Lyra kleos

9k used will also get you a basis debut/graham phantom or SME 20/3 or spiral groove sg2 incl a used 2500 cart at half off, any of which id take over the set-up above.

I like the used suggestions. My buddy has an SP10 MK2/Durand Talea 1/Benz Micro LPS for about $9K, mostly used. Sounds very good also.

Mendel

Feb 13, 2012
GTA
What's the Best TT, arm and cartridge system for under 9k total?

Lots of good choices out there. Here is mine: J A Michell Orbe, with Tecnoarm and Lyra Delos well under 9k new. Or substitute Gyro for Orbe and get a better arm and cart, although I think you are better off getting the Orbe and upgrading the arm and cartridge later.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing