Shallow to think Mcontodh mt5 is pretty and easier over ovation.?

DavidinSF

Sep 28, 2013
Looking for a new TT. Is it shallow to go for a mt5 over clear audio ovation which is probably better but cheaply priced. Don't listen to analog too much so with a cover and everything it seems maintenance free. I wonder if the the sound is that off... What other easy to setup and smaller footprint TT should be looking for? Vpi classic mk3 looks good but seems like a hassle to set up. Of course sound is important but looking for the "good enough" but easy to maintain and setup TT

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
If you want hassle free, I'd suggest a table with a gimbal rather than a unipivot arm. Rega, Project etc. I'd also look for a table with a speed controller so you need not switch the belt's pulley position every time you go from 33.3 to 45. I would also steer myself away from tables with sprung suspension as keeping the table level becomes a regular exercise.

Off the top of my head I would choose a Rega P5 or higher with the optional speed controller with a Rega cart. The three hole mounting of the carts will give you pretty much exact alignment with the least amount of fuss.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Looking for a new TT. Is it shallow to go for a mt5 over clear audio ovation which is probably better but cheaply priced. Don't listen to analog too much so with a cover and everything it seems maintenance free. I wonder if the the sound is that off... What other easy to setup and smaller footprint TT should be looking for? Vpi classic mk3 looks good but seems like a hassle to set up. Of course sound is important but looking for the "good enough" but easy to maintain and setup TT

What's the hassle with setting up a VPI Classic? It's probably as easy as any turntable ever built to set up. If one knows how to set up a table, you can probably have it out of the box and running in under an hour, if you're really good, half an hour.

DavidinSF

Sep 28, 2013
Thanks for the feedback. Will look into VPI setup. When I read a review it felt it was a little more than the others I was considering.

class a

Jul 10, 2011
I would also check out the Avid TT's. The Ingenium model is very impressive at $1999. Also if you do purchase from a dealer they will usually do the set up for you as part of purchasing from them. I know both dealers in my area do that.:)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing