cool, upgrade to my 4K Sony FP to play true 4K content

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
almost 2 years ago I purchased a 4K capable Sony VPL-VW1000ES front projector. it's been a fine projector for Blue Ray and 3D, but to watch 4K content up until now took a cobbled collection of computers and cables and really was not real world.

I hoped that at some point there would be content, and that my 4K projector would be able to fully take advantage of it.

that is now happening.

with the information from the link below it looks like in a month or so my projector will be able to be fully upgraded and i'll get a 4K media player with 10 movies installed and access to more 4K content. the cost seems reasonable to me.

i'm excited to get this done and see how it looks.

http://hstrial-jrodriguez996.homest...L-VW1000ES-Update-Review.html?_=1378679548189

Last edited:

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
Looks like a "must buy" if you already have the projector. Still wish Sony would make a xenon version.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Sounds like a "no-brainer" upgrade to me. Congrats and enjoy!:)

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Blu-ray, 3D, 4K & all that Jazz ...

Reading this is like reading a sale pitch. ...For $2,500 you can buy a great front projector.
{This $25,000 Sony projector should include any upgrade for free.}

HDMI version 2.0 is already here, and 4K is not here. ...Not in the films we purchase on Blu anyway.

Mike, you got one of the best front projectors from the last two years; how come you never talk about the movies you watched with it (2D & 3D)?

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Reading this is like reading a sale pitch. ...For $2,500 you can buy a great front projector.

i suppose that depends on one's definition of a 'great front projector'.

this is like comparing formats, or pieces of audio gear. there are many fine products at various price points and great performing software at each format level. it depends on what something is compared to, and the expectations of the comparer.

i would say that there are very good performing modestly priced front projectors. i would personally need to live with one to say it's great. i have not done that so i will defer to you on that.

{This $25,000 Sony projector should include any upgrade for free.}

everything has a context and you can see the glass as half full or half empty....and you are right either way.

sure; it's fair to say 'why was this upgrade not included?'

my perspective is that i'm just happy there is an upgrade at all and i am not stuck with a dead end. and the purchaser of a $25k projector will put up with such a value added upgrade easily. i'm getting more value for my investment.

HDMI version 2.0 is already here, and 4K is not here. ...Not in the films we purchase on Blu anyway.

my understanding is that it will be current release films mostly for this 4K format.

it appears that this UHD 4K format will be files, not discs. i have not even really investigated how it will actually work. but just like digital music the trend is toward files and servers, not discs. stay tuned for how it actually goes. but loving discs is so 'Hong Kong' and 'China' as in their fixation on CD as opposed to downloads for music.

it's only a matter of time....

Mike, you got one of the best front projectors from the last two years; how come you never talk about the movies you watched with it (2D & 3D)?

i never go out to the movies, and only use my Home Theatre maybe a couple times a month for most of the year. my home theatre is in my house, i do watch sports upstairs in my barn and i never watch any 'TV' in my Home Theatre room....only in the upstairs in the barn or my family room or kitchen inside the house.

i mostly listen to music in my 2-channel room.

i've purchased 3 movies in 2 months, but have not watched a movie in maybe 4 months. i own maybe 200 Blue Ray titles. and i'm not all that excited about talking about the movies. i am passionate about some movies.

i cannot really say why i don't participate in the 'movie' threads......i just never have.

Last edited:

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Thank you very much Mike for the elaborate explanations.

- A great front projector is now reality in the year 2013; 2K and 3D and for roughly between $2,500 and $5,000
Sony has some in the $3,000 (MSRP) range. ...Roughly $2,500 street.
Five years ago that was at least $10,000 and up to $25,000, now for what the prices I just mentioned above you get even better front projectors, and that, in my book makes them great front projectors for everyone.
True, you can still spend $50,000 and $80,000 for those high-end ones; but those are not great, they are expensively high-end for the type of clientele that demands dealer's services. They are the best of the best.

A good front projector nowadays is roughly $2,000; on sale or second-hand.
And a great one is just few more hundreds of dollars.
And the best is .... your local TRUE FULL SIZE IMAX Theater.
And even better is on the top of that mountain outside in the real life nature; Everest or K2 or ... ;)

I don't have one yet, but that's my own evaluating scale from my numerous readings.

- Ok, the upgrade from Sony is better than no upgrade; absolutely, and irregardless of the 10% cost over the full MSRP of that Sony front projector of yours.
And I know few more who will also be happy with the news. ...But like you said, I too I'm curious regarding those hi-def 4K video files. ...Not for everyone I guess, we'll see...

- I asked (of what you watch) because with that Sony front projector of yours I was certain that you were using it more often.
If I would have it myself I would probably use it very extensively as cinema (high-def & hi-res Blu-ray movies) are taking at least 2 hours of my life each and every single night for several years now (and up to 4 hours a night sometimes). ...Nights that I'm at home of course.
Music is playing constantly at my mansion (8:00AM till roughly Midnight). ...Mostly passive though. ...Days that I'm at home of course.
But passive active, because I need to still get involved in my day-to-day life; that's my inspiration for my meditation and writings.

That's what's so great about audio/video forums; everyone has his own lifestyle. :b

Last edited:

PAF

Jan 8, 2013
...True, you can still spend $50,000 and $80,000 for those high-end ones; but those are not great, they are expensively high-end for the type of clientele that demands dealer's services. They are the best of the best.

...I don't have one yet, but that's my own evaluating scale from my numerous readings.

- Ok, the upgrade from Sony is better than no upgrade; absolutely, and irregardless of the 10% cost over the full MSRP of that Sony front projector of yours.
And I know few more who will also be happy with the news...

Look, everyone wants the newest high performance $50K or $80K or $100K projector for $2500. It doesn't exist, new or used. You get what you pay for. You'll learn that when you actually buy and start comparing projectors. Critical accessories are the same story. Want an ISCO-Schneider or McKinley 2.35 big lens. That will be $15K please. Used, maybe $6K. Want the latest 4K upscaling processor, say a Lumagen? That will be $3.5K. Used? Doesn't exist. Want to stay at the Mandarin Oriental for the price of Motel 6 so that you can see a bunch of these projectors for yourself at CES? Good luck on Priceline.

As for the Sony upgrade, you're pricing is incorrect, but you're right that it is a tremendous bargain. There's about 10 hours of the dealer's time involved in making the upgrade in addition to what Sony charges for the parts, so real world pricing is going to be in the $4K range, not $2.5K. It's still an extraordinary deal as you essentially get a new VW1100ES projector. Plus, you get the FMP-X1 4K server free which will have access to 70 Ultra HD movies. Plus, the free Xperia Z tablet to control the server that normally sells for $500. Compare that to trading in your old VW1000ES for $10K to your dealer and you've saved in the neighborhood of $15,000 not including the cost of the server and Xperia tablet.

Sony has very much done right by its early VPL-VW1000ES adopters.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing