Samsung’s Galaxy S5 said to feature metal case as Apple turns to plastic for iPhone 5

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
By Zach Epstein | BGR News

Sometimes the tech industry is just too poetic. Samsung is once again rumored to be prepping a huge change for its flagship Galaxy S5 that will debut in the second quarter next year. The smartphone giant has been widely criticized for releasing high-end smartphones that feel cheap and flimsy due to their thin plastic cases, and a new report suggests next year’s Galaxy S5 might change that.

According to Taipei Times, Taiwan-based component supplier Catcher Technology is likely to receive orders for a metal casing that will house Samsung’s new Galaxy S5. The site says Barclays analysts made the claim in a research note after sniffing around Catcher, and the idea of a metal S5 case mirrors similar reports from earlier this year. The report also suggests production will begin in the first quarter next year, suggesting the Galaxy S5 may launch sometime in the second quarter.

The irony in all this, of course, is that Samsung has repeatedly been called an Apple copycat but despite years of cries for an aluminum flagship Galaxy phone, Samsung might finally take the leap now that Apple has moved back to plastic on the iPhone 5c.

Keith_W

Mar 31, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
www.whatsbestforum.com
What puzzles me about Samsung is that they clearly have some talented designers on their payroll. Their TV's and laptops look the business. They certainly aren't short of cash to hire good designers either. So why do they make such awful and cheap looking phones and tablets, given that this is actually their biggest earner?

I am also a little skeptical about this rumour, it is a little early in the product cycle for leaks to be coming out like this. The Galaxy S5 should launch in March-April 2014. Leaks about the S4 started to surface in January this year. Certainly nobody predicted that the S4 would look and feel the same as the S3, especially given the near universal criticism the S3 received about its rather deflating appearance. I have to say I am pessimistic that Samsung would produce a good looking phone, although I am happy to be proven wrong.

It would be interesting to see if they persist with an removable battery, given that there are no metal smartphones on the market with a battery compartment which can be opened. Certainly having a metal back and a removable battery is not mutually exclusive - my Motorola V60 clamshell phone from years back had a removable battery.

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
I don't believe it's early for rumours, as the time frame for the announcement is more likely February, at the Mobile World Congress Barcelona.

And Samsung hiring talented designers? When? Where? I just don't see it :)

alexandre

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing