KEF LS50's make nice music....

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
I realize it is an overkill to use this fine speakers in such a lousy space, but I just wanted to share how impressed I am with these speakers, I am recommending them to anyone who wants to set-up a serious Hi-End setup, they are that good!

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
I realize it is an overkill to use this fine speakers in such a lousy space, but I just wanted to share how impressed I am with these speakers, I am recommending them to anyone who wants to set-up a serious Hi-End setup, they are that good!
I concur.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
I am using them in a room that is far bigger than what would be typical for the LS50s to be used in. I'm pretty sure the LS50s are much further away from room boundaries in my room than what is typical with these speakers. I'm also using them with an amplifier that is far more powerful than would be typical for them to be used with. I'm also using them with 4 subs with four 14" drivers and four 1800 watt amps.

The more these speakers break in, the more these speakers simply amaze me every time I listen to them. And yeah, I know I'm 'cheating' with the subs and the rest of the gear and the room, but it's a *system* that we all listen to at the end of day. And with the way I'm running them, this is a very full range system with top to bottom frequency extension. The LS50s are very clean, low distortion speakers which lends them a purity you haven't heard since the last time you sat down in front of a pair of electrostatic speakers. You will hear information all the way to back of the soundstage including some things that may have been buried in the mud before. You can spend far more money than what the LS50s cost, but you may not equal what these speakers have achieved with their outstanding design.

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010

That's not overkill, it's near field, and it is a fine way to use a speaker of that size. You need to get them spread equally from your listening position, get them up off the desk to an inch or two with something inert (bricks work fine), tilt them back a bit and tow them in til they're pointing just above your shoulders. Tweak from there. Get your desktop in front of them messy with soft things, to dampen reflections. I'm guessing the imaging will go from good to Godlike.

Tim

mep

Apr 20, 2010
That's not overkill, it's near field, and it is a fine way to use a speaker of that size. You need to get them spread equally from your listening position, get them up off the desk to an inch or two with something inert (bricks work fine), tilt them back a bit and tow them in til they're pointing just above your shoulders. Tweak from there. Get your desktop in front of them messy with soft things, to dampen reflections. I'm guessing the imaging will go from good to Godlike.

Tim

As good as they may sound like on a desk, it's nothing compared to what they can sound like loading into a room sitting on appropriate stands (I use a custom made pair for Sound Anchors). Using the LS50s on top of a desk to listen to music while you work is like buying a Ferrari to drive down to the corner grocery store to buy a loaf of bread and a gallon of milk.

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
As good as they may sound like on a desk, it's nothing compared to what they can sound like loading into a room sitting on appropriate stands (I use a custom made pair for Sound Anchors). Using the LS50s on top of a desk to listen to music while you work is like buying a Ferrari to drive down to the corner grocery store to buy a loaf of bread and a gallon of milk.

Even in the near field, they'd sound better on stands. It's good to eliminate those desktop reflections. But if you're going to listen to them at desk, proper set up is still critical. We might disagree on "nothing compared to." Near field has it's own set of advantages.

Tim

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing