KEF LS50's make nice music....

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
The KEF LS50s are sounding awfully purty....matched with McIntosh MA6600 200 wpc amp and Transparent cable.

Gordon Lightfoot sounding crazy good and in the room.:D

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
Andre,are you listening in the near field to the LS50's? Tried a tube amp yet??;)

Hi Davey:

My listening distance is about 9 feet. I have not yet hooked up a tube amp. The 50s sound SO good wood my McIntosh
SS amp, I am in no hurry to pull them apart. My 26" Sound Anchor stands are doing wonders as well.

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
How do you compare with the Harbeths?

The KEF's image slightly better...more precision...no surprise there. The Harbeths have warmer, and
subjectively deeper bass. The Harbeth also has a slightly warmer midrange. Lastly, the Harbeths's
sound slightly "bigger".

However, going from one to the other is not a jarring change.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
I think they are the deal of the century...1500 is cheap for these IMO.

Yes they seem to be a very good value for small monitors with that type of pedigree and resolution. ...$1,200 on sale. ...And don't forget appropriately solid stands on top of that price.

Also, $1,500 will buy you a nice pair of full-range floorstanders on the used market (Paradigm Reference Studio 100 for example).
- And you have KEF's own full-range towers, the Q900 ($1,799/pair MSRP).
- Revel Concerta F12 ($1,498/pair MSRP). ...About $899 street, or less.
- Monitor Audio Silver RX6 ($1,250/pair MSRP).

All Class B (Full-Range) speakers from Stereophile.

Last edited:

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Yep. Although, let's face it, if they were made in the UK the would be $3500, or priced closer to equivalent Proac, Harbeth, and
Spendor models.

That's a line of speculation I'd rather avoid. The manufacturing base is available to anyone... I would rather focus on the fact that the LS50 at their $1500 are great speakers. Using them I realize how special they are and am waiting to audition the Blades. Kef has something going on. Their Headphones the M500 is no slouch either.

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
That's a line of speculation I'd rather avoid. The manufacturing base is available to anyone... I would rather focus on the fact that the LS50 at their $1500 are great speakers. Using them I realize how special they are and am waiting to audition the Blades. Kef has something going on. Their Headphones the M500 is no slouch either.

Actually it is not speculation. I was told this directly by KEF.

Jeff Dorgay now uses the Blade as a reference, and visited their UK facilities. He was impressed to say the least.

BTW, he sold his $90,000 pair of Gamut floor standers to replace them with the Blades. That is how
good he thinks they are.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Seems like KEF is on a roll! Good for them!

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
I was more impressed by the LS50 than the Blades. I actually dont like the Blades at all.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
I was more impressed by the LS50 than the Blades. I actually dont like the Blades at all.

That's not the first time I have heard that. There is something incredibly *right* about the sound of the LS50s.

mmatuva

Oct 26, 2012
I don't have space for the Blades here: :)

View attachment 11890

Oh, c'mon...there is empty space on that desk and a pair of Orange Blades would really spice the place up! The soundstage would really open up and if you really want that you-are-there experience, I don't think you have a choice. Don't let anyone talk you out of it, just go for it. :)

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing