Question for Alexia owners

mbovaird

Banned
Jan 5, 2013
Can any Alexia owners comment on the tweeter? Have you found it a little edgy or pinch bright sounding over a long listening session? Have you found it easy or problematic to integrate into your rooms?

Lastly, have you had any bass or mid-bass issues in YOUR room?

Thank you in advance.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I heard an Alexia once where the tweeter dispersion was set too high. I know there is hiss on Kind of Blue...but this was super loud hiss. I heard the exact same recording in that room with Focal Grands, plus other rooms with Altairs, etc...not one had hiss loud enough to actually be part of the entire track as a separate instrument. It was not edgy as in strident but it certainly was too much...I think they had kinda opened the box and set them up without really properly finetuning which is an absolute must with any speaker but particularly with Wilsons as that is how Wilson designed their speakers be set up (with adjustments to placement, cabinets, and resistors).

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com
Can any Alexia owners comment on the tweeter? Have you found it a little edgy or pinch bright sounding over a long listening session? Have you found it easy or problematic to integrate into your rooms?

Lastly, have you had any bass or mid-bass issues in YOUR room?

Thank you in advance.
What is the rest of the system ?
Did you have them set up by a dealer?
Please tell us what the associated gear and cables etc are since this is systematic not just speakers

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
The resistors in my Alexia's were changed to bring up the tweeter/mid. All rooms have mid bass issues, but with proper positioning and integration, I got +/-5dB from 18Hz - 1k

Bright is the last thing I would use to describe the speakers.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

stevebythebay

Oct 21, 2012
I've been using the Alexia's for about 1/2 year. Never found the tweeters bright or edgy at all. Associated equipment includes Spectral stereo amp, Spectral pre-amp, Berkeley Alpha USB/DAC, MacBook Pro server. Interconnects are MIT/Spectral for speaker/amp-preamp, and Synergistic Research for everything else (silver bullets) and PowerCell. Alexia's reveal the source material without any falsity whatsoever (if there was a great deal of tape hiss, you get it all). Well engineered recording of say string instruments, bowed or plucked, guitars, harp, all sound natural -- no edge.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing