The Bass Pig's Lair

Mark (Basspig) Weiss

Aug 3, 2010
New Milford, CT
www.basspig.com
A major transformation occured last summer (2009) as I got the bug to go to a projection system. This is all Ethan Winer's fault. :) You see, one year ago, he asked me to help him set up his new projection system. Having seen mediocre projection in hi-fi stores up to that point, I was so impressed with how far the technology has come, that I became obsessed with adding projection, at long last, to my theater.

I had to make some structural modifications to make it possible, but everything worked out amazingly well.

I found an InFocus IN82 on eBay for 20 cents on the dollar and I was one of only two bidders. That was the steal of the decade--what a fantastic picture this projector puts out!

Next, I researched screens. Not being satisfied with conventional, comb filter-inducing perf screens, I researched alternatives and eventually found Seymour AV. What do you know? They support DiY'ers like me, and I was able to buy the material and build my own frame. My inlaws have sewing skills, so they made the velvet draperies from Royal velvet that I purchased at JoAnn's Fabrics.

So here's the screen...

ScreenAug14-02..jpg

This is a new photo of my equipment racks:

Racks_Aug_2010..jpg

What lurks behind the screen...

ScreenWallCtrSpkr.jpg

Seating from Costco. They only had three in stock and I do hope they get more of these soon, so I can finish the back row:

TheaterSeating..jpg

EQUIPMENT LIST

Pre-amp: Carver C-4000
Main EQ: Behringer DEQ2496
Crossovers: 2 Behringer DCX2496's
dbx 4bx Expander with Impact Restoration
dbx 500 Subharmonic Synthesizer

Power Amps, Mid-High: Dual Hafler 500's, bridged mono, with capacitor upgrades
Surround: Hafler 500, stereo mode, with modified input circuitry & capacitor upgrade
Center Channel: Hafler 500, bridged mono, with capacitor upgrade
Mid-bass: QSC Powerlight 6.0
Sub-bass: QSC Powerlight 6.0
Speakers, Mid-high: JBL E120 and JBL 2403 in custom-built dodecahedral enclosures
Center channel: JBL E120 and JBL 2403 in custom-built dodecahedral enclosure
Mid-bass: two Electro-Voice EVX180B in two custom built single driver cabinets
four Electro-Voice EVX180B in two custom built dual driver cabinets
Sub-bass: Four Bassmaxx ZR18 fiberglass/kevlar pistons in custom built Hemholtz resonators
Surround Speakers: MTX Thunder Pro 2 (I modified these by adding insulation to the cabinets)

Sources:
Oppo BDP-83 Blu-ray Player
Sony BDP-S301 Blu-ray player
Oppo 981HD DVD player
Switcher: Zektor MAS7.1
Denon DCD-590 CD player
Akai GX747dbx reel to reel deck
Nakamichi 430 FM Tuner
JVC L-A10 semi auto turntable

Computer workstation with Mark of the Unicorn 896 8-channel A/D-D/A converter
An assortment of Kurzweil and Yamaha samplers, ROMplers and synths

Mixing Desk: Behringer MX9000
Studio amplifier: Carver M500
Studio speakers: Modified AR-17 cabinets updated with Dynaudio Acoustics drivers

Decommissioned gear:
Technics SH-8020
Spectro-Acoustics 210R equalizer
ADC SS 525X Computerized equalizer
Custom built Linkwitz-Riley crossover (built in 1982)
Sony SL-HF1000 Super High Band Beta Editing Deck

Sold Equipment:
Phase-Linear D-500 (sold $3,050)
Phase-Linear 1100 Parametric EQ (sold $545)
Marantz 2270 Stereo Receiver
Akai GX630DB Reel to Reel deck
SAE 5000A Impulse Noise Reduction System

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing