Are the "cheaper" dCS models the best digital

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
Thanks analog brother.
I have not heard the Rossini in a home setting but the limited feedback in this forum supports your experience. I did have the opportunity last year to buy a nearly new Rossini player which the owner was selling as he preferred the T+A PDP 3000. I had tried the latter at home and while it was very good it lacked to my ears the analogue character of the dcs equipment.
I am very pleased with my Scarlatti combo and my gut feeling is that it is better than the Rossini player. If,however, one was streaming the Rossini might be a better bet as the absence of the Esoteric drive in the Rossini player would be less of an issue.

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
Congratulations, Scarlatti is very very good. Are you using the firewire mode off the transport or dual AES? I found the latter to be a pretty nice improvement...when I had my Scarlatti stack...

Thank you very much.
Yes using dual AES with Entreq Apollo/Apollo Infinity earth to Olympus 10 and Apollo Infinity i/c to Scarlatti dac.
Very good synergy and you are right the Scarlatti is very very good.

joeling

Jan 8, 2014
Any idea if DCS has any new firmware update for the Scarlatti similar to that of the Vivaldi on the mapping of the DAC ? The mapping firmware of the Vivaldi was a revelation to me.

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com
dCS just relaesed firmware v2.0 for Rossini DACs. I’ve done the upgrade but haven’t had time to audition the changes. A couple new filters and new mapping algorithm through the Ring DAC. Old mapping is possible to select, so those inclined to compare can do that.

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
If it's anything like the Vivaldi 2.0 mapping update you'll feel like you just got a new DAC. Let us know you're thoughts after listening...

Koegz

Oct 29, 2016
systems.audiogon.com
What is a Ring DAC(TM) Mapper?
dCS DACs oversample in several stages, eventually presenting the Ring DAC(TM) with 5-bit binary data at about 3MS/s. The Mapper decodes the data to a minimum of 32 digital signals, one corresponding to each binary state, then it scrambles the order of the signals. The Mapper randomises small matching errors in the Ring DAC core, converting what would be harmonic distortion to a small amount of extra noise. Vivaldi DAC v2.00 offers a choice of 3 Mappers - the original 3MS/s design and two new Mapper algorithms that run at about 6MS/s.

There are 3 mapping options in the Rossini DAC update. Can anyone please explain the difference in them. The dcs info does not help in this regard. Not to someone with little technical (6MS/s) back round as myself.
Thanks ??

Last edited:

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
On the Vivaldi 2.0, Mapper 1, is new, and is what I use for DSD. Mapper 2 is the older one. Mapper 3 is also new, and I use for DXD.

I can only assume they did for your Rossini the same way...

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
I just read your Rossini 2.0 manual. It just says "use the one you prefer"

The Vivaldi 2.0 manual goes into more detail. Again I can only assume your mappers are like mine...

From dCS Vivaldi website (https://www.dcsltd.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/Vivaldi-DAC-Manual-v2_0x.pdf):

SETTINGS MenuMapper
The Mapper controls the way in which data is presented to the Ring DACTM core. There are now 3 Mapper options:
Map 1 is the new default mapper. It drives the Ring DACTM core at either 5.644 or 6.14MHz.
Map 2 is the classic mapper design, used on all 1.xx versions of the Vivaldi DAC and based on the design used by dCS for the last 20 years. It drives the Ring DACTM at 2.822 or 3.07MHz.
Map 3 is an experimental design, which also runs at 5.644 or 6.14MHz.
Our listening tests concluded that Map 1 gives the most musical results, but you have a
choice.

Koegz

Oct 29, 2016
systems.audiogon.com
Thanks I had chosen 3. You list 3 as experimental but similar to 1. Can’t really hear a difference between them.
2 does sound deferent.
Thanks ??

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com
Download the Rossini 2.0 manual, it explains the new mapping algorith choices (somewhat).

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing