Going all in on Shunyata PCs

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
Jumping on the shunyata Zitron Powercord bandwagon and got six anaconda powercords. Had just one Python Zitron, two Python CX and two Viper Zitron in my system which all work very well. Based on my limited experience these cords are the gold standard in PC price performance. Currently cooking all six.

This will be fun to swap out six cords at the same time this week-end and see what happens (if anything - I still don't believe in audiophile power cords, but my experience just keeps proving me wrong).

Snakepit.JPG

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
Now you need a Triton/Typhon combo.

That's where I am headed

I am planning on sticking with my PS audio P5s. Always lover the PS audio regenerators. You will probably find two camps vouching for the superiority of either Shunyata or PS audio conditioners. Rather than rolling the dice I'll just stick with what I have.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
I am planning on sticking with my PS audio P5s. Always lover the PS audio regenerators. You will probably find two camps vouching for the superiority of either Shunyata or PS audio conditioners. Rather than rolling the dice I'll just stick with what I have.

It's just that I have read too many positive reviews on the Triton/Anaconda to ignore

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Nice. I think that's the way to go - power cords w/o any in-series power conditioner.

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
Now you need a Triton/Typhon combo.

That's where I am headed

I strongly suggest checking the top shelf Audience stuff as well. The best I have heard.

As far as Power Cords, I have been HUGELY impressed by the Furutech Flux series. Not cheap, but
at the top echelon of AC cords, bar none. I have my entire system wired up with Furutech
for a review and it is world class.

I have not heard Furutech power conditioning products as of yet.

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com

You might have forgotten Audience.

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
It's just that I have read too many positive reviews on the Triton/Anaconda to ignore

I have my P5 sitting behind the main audio rack. With very poor access. Just swapping out these six cables will take me 2 hours. Digging out the conditioners, and trying two new boxes would be a complete nightmare to do, with unpredictable results.

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
Nice. I think that's the way to go - power cords w/o any in-series power conditioner.

You can't make that kind of definitive or grand statement. That is projecting your preference as a fact.

I was a MAJOR power conditioning skeptic until I tried a
high grade unit that utterly transformed my system..literally brought it to a new level of clarity, ease, and
transparency. I was quite surprised at this myself.

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
I must admit that I haven't heard the Triton/Typhon combo

Why no on the Typhon Peter

A friend of mine on the east coast with an exceptional system and excellent listening skills bought the combo.
He said the Typhon was contributing 2% to the sound with 50% of the cost. It is a power filter. He has several
other portable in line filters that he said worked identically for less than 1/10th the cost.

He returned it. BTW, he is a long time Shunyata fanatic to boot. The TAS review also laid out doubts
as to the Typhon's contribution and value, although more diplomatically.

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
You can't make that kind of definitive or grand statement. That is projecting your preference as a fact.

I was a MAJOR power conditioning skeptic until I tried a
high grade unit that utterly transformed my system..literally brought it to a new level of clarity, ease, and
transparency. I was quite surprised at this myself.

Same here. No joy with highly acclaimed Furman Reference, then hit the jackpot with PS audio PPP. One of the best $1100 (B-stock) ever spend on audio.

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
Same here. No joy with highly acclaimed Furman Reference, then hit the jackpot with PS audio PPP. One of the best $1100 (B-stock) ever spend on audio.

Agree. The Audience adeptResponse was one of the few review samples I purchased. I also bought the smaller, more portable aR2p for the second system.

Both represent money well spent, and I usually don't allocate much to non component/speaker purchases.

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
Agree. The Audience adeptResponse was one of the few review samples I purchased. I also bought the smaller, more portable aR2p for the second system.

Both represent money well spent, and I usually don't allocate much to non component/speaker purchases.

The size factor is convenient. I had an ar2p mounted to the ceiling for my projector (including surge protection, but was not getting better picture, so I sold it.

I also have 2 x Shunyata Hydra for the amps driving the active woofers of my speakers. Which are completely separate from y main power sources. Can't say I hear a difference, but hearing a difference on woofers that operate at <150 Hz (I believe) is much more of a stretch than the midrange and high frequencies.

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
The size factor is convenient. I had an ar2p mounted to the ceiling for my projector (including surge protection, but was not getting better picture, so I sold it.

I also have 2 x Shunyata Hydra for the amps driving the active woofers of my speakers. Which are completely separate from y main power sources. Can't say I hear a difference, but hearing a difference on woofers that operate at <150 Hz (I believe) is much more of a stretch than the midrange and high frequencies.

Interesting. I have never used conditioning for video, just for audio. The aR2p clearly made a difference with my McIntosh solid state integrated.

I am not surprised you did not hear a difference with conditioners for your application. I agree totally the benefit is mostly in the midrange on up, where hash/noise is much more destructive.

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
I must admit that I haven't heard the Triton/Typhon combo

Why no on the Typhon Peter

Too much of that ferroelectric ZrCa2000, unlike the Triton; think magnetic fields and their impact

Frank750

VIP/Donor
Jul 8, 2011
I have an Audience Ar6TSS conditioner and the Shunyata Triton/ Typhon combo. I had the Audience in my system for at least four years and last year had their latest filtering upgrade done at John Mc Donald's suggestion. It is an excellent conditioner. With the upgraded Audience power cord the thing lists at about $8000.

I bought the Shunyata combo 4 months ago because I had read so many good things about it and all of my power cords are Anaconda Zitrons and I've had great success with them. It takes the conditioner and their power cords a very long time to break in. Until the conditioner does fully burn in you might think you've wasted your money.

I was very happy with the Shunyata after break in but a couple of weeks ago I pulled it out, inserted the Audience back in and let it warm up for a couple of days. Everything sounded great, so good that I was thinking about leaving the Audience in permanently. About a week later I started getting antsy about having $15,000 worth of conditioner and power cords sitting on the floor doing nothing so I decided to do a shoot out. I pulled the Audience out and reinserted the Shunyata and turned everything back on. Ice cold my immediate response was whoa! No comparison! Everything about the system sounded better with the Triton/ Typhon back in. Bass, soundstage, image placement definition, everything was better. No longer curious, I boxed the Audience up and put it in my storage room until I decide what to do with it.

My amps each have their own 20A circuit. The conditioner only handles my pre amp, phono pre, CD player and turntable.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing